Kids ... What To Tell Them To Do?

NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior MemberPosts: 4,277 Senior Member
My kid’s hits me up when I walk in this evening that his school started telling kids what to do if there is ever was a mass shooting. They were saying don’t try to get out if you are in a room but hide. Don’t try and drag other in with you but stay hidden and quiet. It went on and on. My kid is pretty level headed for a near 16 y ear old kid and I think has some common sense when it comes to saving his butt. He asked me if he should listen to the teachers and staff or do what he felt was best. I kinda sat there for a minute or two and just thought ... a teacher who might not know a damn thing or a kid that I’ve taught my limited ways and taken to four training weekends over the past two summers for personal defense. He has a good grasp on cover vs concealment. He can distinguish direction and general distance of sounds. He has a good idea of the school’s layout and what he’s capable of. After thinking about it I basically told him he didn’t have to follow anything he felt was unsafe and if he saw a chance for himself to head for the hills do it but don’t argue with a teacher or staff. I also gave him the speech that 99% of the time heroes fall into 2 categories ... lucky or dead ... and don’t run into the fire just get out and if some follow fine.

He took a second and responded that he has thought about what to in case of other things in various places in school like the game we use to play “what if ... what to do” while we were out place if something bad happened. I have been playing that with him since he was old enough to think about it and not scare him, maybe 6 or so. My kid, even back with Sandy Hook, had been thinking of what ifs long ago but has come into his own now.

I know each kid is different but honestly I would rather my kid act to save himself that the big portion of teachers and staff I’ve met with in the past 2 1/2 years in this school. My kid will be 17 in April and can do pretty good on his own so as far as I’m concerned do what he’s gotta do if fecal matter hits the oscillating appliance. Am I out of line?
“The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
- George Orwell

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I haven't told my son anything to do. People have instincts. I hope his will be right if needed, but being wrong could likely be as effective at saving his life.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,990 Senior Member
    Sounds like you told him the right thing to me. It used to bother the heck out of me at work active shooter training said to run and hide if you cant run.

In my mind there is a reason these dirt bags target schools. No guns to shoot back, nobody will fight back. This last one while only 19 himself, he targeted the freshman building. The youngest and weakest that would not fight back. They hid behind desks and closets. I am afraid these shooting will never stop until people fight back.

The last few days, they have had these 15 year olds screaming for gun control, they want the President to make it happen Right Now. Unfortunately they dont teach the Constitution in school. Nobody wants to remember that Hitler gor his start by banning civilian weapons.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,079 Senior Member
    As a parent, it's on you to go to the school and find out what, exactly, their plan is.....chapter and verse...... Then guide your kids from there..,also find out if they are actually practicing the plan to discover any flaws that might exist.....be prepared to be a parental pain in the ass...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,750 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR wrote: »
    Am I out of line?
    Not IMHO you aren't

Sounds like you are SPOT ON actually
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,697 Senior Member
    NCFUBAR,

I think I'd rather take direction from your kid in battle than from the average "those who can't" public educator with a Bernie sticker on their Prius.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,079 Senior Member
    Be sure to brief him on the effectiveness of a 10 pound dry chemical fire extinguisher....common in schools pretty much everywhere...useful for hosing down the bad guy and then while he's trying to see and breath...beat them to death with the can......as a last resort of course just in case all that running and hiding stuff doesn't work out....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,978 Senior Member
    My sons have been told to run for it, if they can't do that, then fight, anything is an improvised weapon. If they get cornered, call me, I will be there in 2 minutes.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,277 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Be sure to brief him on the effectiveness of a 10 pound dry chemical fire extinguisher....common in schools pretty much everywhere...useful for hosing down the bad guy and then while he's trying to see and breath...beat them to death with the can......as a last resort of course just in case all that running and hiding stuff doesn't work out....

That is actually one of my favorite “weapons of opportunity” and he has heard that for years ... he might even know about carrying stuff that is no threat in his book bag like an athletic sock and couple D batteries unless assembled also but against a gun if at all possible I want him to rely on Run Fu or such before engaging unarmed.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,256 Senior Member
    John Wick killed two guys with a pencil.

I want to see zees response.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,308 Senior Member
    Same thing I learned in our class at work. Run if possible (run like hell, don't stop) hide, then fight with any and everything you have. That's fine for my youngest. She would gouge out your eyes and then gut you like a deer with a pair of safety scissors if need be. My wife and oldest, they'd likely freeze.
    As far as listening to teachers, I tell the kids that if they don't agree with them, do what you thinks best. I'd trust my youngest to make a better decision than most of the teachers.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,297 Senior Member
    I don't have kids, but if I were to advise them I'd say Run, Hide, Fight in that order. 

Also, if you've gotten to the point that fighting is a must, fight like hell. Throw heavy items, stab, bite, claw, whatever is necessary. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,620 Senior Member
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,229 Senior Member
    I agree with run, hide, fight. Awareness is key! I find it quite disconcerting that we are having this discussion though. It's a shame that this is the new reality.