Knitepoet/Others Sierra Match King 69 grain HPBT bullets

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
I think it was Knitepoet who said he had good results with the Sierra 69 grain HPBT bullets. I poked around it seems to be the cats meow/bees knees for many shooters, especially outta ARs.

If you shoot them what is your load? What was your results and what did you shoot them outta.

They should work well from my bolt rifles too. Box says for 1-10 twist and faster.

So I ordered some and will load them primarily for my Ruger MPR 5.56, but can shoot them from my Savage 12 BVSS and Rem 700 too.

I read Varget works well which I have O/H.

"Accuracy load in the Sierra manual for ARs is 25.3g of varget for the 69g SMK."

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/loading-the-sierra-69-gr-match-king-for-ar15.818305/
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,596 Senior Member
    out of the AR, 24.5gr Varget under the 69gr Sierra match or Nosler CC with a CCI 41 to light it. If the stock nut is tight, MOAish for 2 and 300, but I think they are pushing for 600. They are OK, but I think a heavier bullet will serve better. I am currently moving to 77gr over 24gr Varget across the course hoping for a little more consistency at the longer ranges.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Maybe it was Razor Core you mentioned Knitepoet, but have you ever tried the SMK 69 grainers?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KupeqRP6TI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KupeqRP6TI
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,767 Senior Member
    I like the 70 grain Barnes TSX over 24.5 grains of Varget with WInchester brass and primer, but I have not tried the Sierra. For paper punching, I use the 68 grain Hornady Match, over 25 grains of Varget and consistently get 0.5 MOA. The 70 grain Barnes gets almost as good, at the same sight setting.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,140 Senior Member
    Yes, it was Razor Core I've mentioned recently.

I have't bought/loaded any SMKs in a number of years

edited to add: I used 25.0 Varget
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    Yes, it was Razor Core I've mentioned recently.

I have't bought/loaded any SMKs in a number of years

edited to add: I used 25.0 Varget

Looks like a great load. What rifle do you do that with?
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 19,140 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Looks like a great load. What rifle do you do that with?
    My RRA 20" A4 Varmint with EOP

That was when the OEM barrel was new. It has a Lilja 23" bull barrel on it now
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

That's good shootin you did there..........for any rifle, much less an AR :guns: :guns: