Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

An interesting statistic

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,094 Senior Member
Nearly 11 teens die DAILY from texting and driving in this country.

Where's the push to ban teen cell phones or put an age restriction on them?

Oh wait, that doesn't fit the liberal agenda. So I guess those 11 teens a day don't matter.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    That would mean that more teens have died so far this year from texting and driving than in all the school shooting since Sandy Hook in 2012.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,094 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    That would mean that more teens have died so far this year from texting and driving than in all the school shooting since Sandy Hook in 2012.
    Yep, but all we hear is...
    :crickets:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Would like a link for sharing.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    How many veterans die by suicide each day? How many people die from the opioid "epidemic" each day? Ask your Congress Critters THAT. While school shootings are horrible and tragic, they are statistically rare occurrences.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    CHIRO1989 wrote: »
    How many veterans die by suicide each day? How many people die from the opioid "epidemic" each day? Ask your Congress Critters THAT. While school shootings are horrible and tragic, they are statistically rare occurrences.

But they are prime fodder to advance an agenda (leftist agenda).
    roadking wrote: »
    Would like a link for sharing.

Just google "Teen texting and driving deaths"

I don't remember which link I pulled the 11/day from

So what you're saying is that we can somehow magically stop certain kinds of crazy? That we can somehow stop events like this if the motive happens to be religiously motivated rather than politically or personally motivated?

You're comparing apples and oranges (again) just for the sake of argument. The thousands or possibly millions of muslims througout the world that think infidels should die are only considered crazy by infidels. Religious or political motivation is a matter of belief and only considered insane by those that don't share that belief. The people that commit these mass killings don't consider the act perfectly normal but they don't care how it looks because they just want to do it. (because they're crazy)
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,670 Senior Member
    ..............And don't for a second deny that if this kid was a Muslim, conservatives wouldn't be screaming their heads off about it and demanding various bforms of action.

There goes that liberal 'raaaaaaacist' charge again. I think most of us support some kind of armed guards in schools, whether it be retired police, military or arming qualified school personnel. Regardless of a shooter being a muslim, someone with mental problems or holding a grudge, the solution should be the same. You're hyperventilating as usual.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,663 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Nearly 11 teens die DAILY from texting and driving in this country.

Where's the push to ban teen cell phones or put an age restriction on them?

Oh wait, that doesn't fit the liberal agenda. So I guess those 11 teens a day don't matter.

I'll sign up - why do kids need cell fones in the first place? Answer: They don't.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,625 Senior Member
    Big difference between a well financed, well thought out plot to bring down the World Trade Center's and a kid with a gun. I am thinking there was a significant (world) impact to the economy post 9/11, and not just bringing the fight to their back yard expense. You can argue how that cost will be calculated and the end result, but plane crashing and building bombings have been on a small scale since then.
    Our bigger problem is we now have an agenda driven FBI and not a law enforcement driven FBI.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,611 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    I'll sign up - why do kids need cell fones in the first place? Answer: They don't.

Should be a choice for the parents, not legislators. Distracted driving is already actionable, no need for more BS laws...

I told both of the youngsters that driving and phone "ownership" are privileges that can be revoked immediately and permanently if those privileges aren't respected. I further explained that when it comes to phones in cars, they start out at strike two... There will be no second chance.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
    They're both highly infrequent events that kill a tiny number of people relative to other preventable causes of death, that lead large fractions of the population to hyperventilate and overreact and demand costly and ineffective government solutions that won't make anyone significantly safer. Doesn't seem that different from that perspective.

Terrorist activity has become less frequent in the US because steps were taken to reduce that frequency. Shortly after 9/11 we had the underwear guy, the shoe guy, and a couple people trying to get explosives on planes with electronic devices and screening was increased and refined and these occurrences were reduced. People traveling to the US from certain countries are susceptible to increased scrutiny because of a high level of terrorist activity generating from those countries so steps was taken to protect against the possibility. All of these steps were taken based on a predictable action by a predictable enemy. A crazy person who is angry at a political group, or girlfriend, school bully, or any other illogical reasoning cannot be protected against as readily.

"Doesn't seem that different from that perspective." Maybe to you because your intent is to spin and distort to perpetuate an argument.
    Thanks. Very sobering.
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 902 Senior Member
    Tragically, seat belt use is lowest among teen drivers. ... In 2015, a total of 769 teen (15- to 18-year-old) drivers and 531 passengers died in passenger vehicles driven by teen drivers, and 58 percent of the passengers were NOT wearing their seat belts at the time of the fatal crash.https://www.nhtsa.gov/road-safety/teen-driving
    The numbers are even greater since 2015.
    Where is the concern for the teen deaths in Major Cities like Chicago, Baltimore, St. Louis,  and other cities?
     By comparison Opioid Overdose Deaths by Age Group 0-24 were 4,110 for 2016. illegal drugs are already banned by law.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Because there is nothing you can do about crazy. There is PLENTY you need to do about enemy combatants attacking your safety, freedom and way of life because you refuse to espouse their beliefs. Something that is lost on this new globalized generation.

The first one is a rounding error in genetic makeup, the second is a zero-tolerance issue...

So what you're saying is that we can somehow magically stop certain kinds of crazy? That we can somehow stop events like this if the motive happens to be religiously motivated rather than politically or personally motivated?
    Alpha, you like charts and graphs. Chew on this one.

https://www.thetrace.org/2017/01/young-scientist-compared-gun-deaths-to-other-leading-causes-found-billion-dollar-research-deficit/

I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams