Browning T-Bolt is in my possession now

Replies

• RadiowaveRadiowave Posts: 8 New Member
    Very nice, bet it shoots as good as it looks
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,088 Senior Member
    edited March 9 #63
    You get any of that IMI 55 grain M193 Midway had on sale. Seems to the best of surplus/mil spec or whatever I've tried outta several brands. Or maybe I wuz just shootin better that day, I dunno. No issues with it at all.

I like the IMI 30 rd boxes too! Says he who has some 20 rounders on the way. Oh well, instead of  having to open 2 boxes to fill a 30 rounder, one box of IMI does it. Hey 2X30=60......so I can fill 3  20 round mags with 2 boxes or 2  30 rounders........I'd better write that genius realization down fer I fergit!

Well, any luck with good weather yet to fire that Browning .22?
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,281 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    You get any of that IMI 55 grain M193 Midway had on sale. Seems to the best of surplus/mil spec or whatever I've tried outta several brands. Or maybe I wuz just shootin better that day, I dunno. No issues with it at all.

I like the IMI 30 rd boxes too! Says he who has some 20 rounders on the way. Oh well, instead of  having to open 2 boxes to fill a 30 rounder, one box of IMI does it. Hey 2X30=60......so I can fill 3  20 round mags with 2 boxes or 2  30 rounders........I'd better write that genius realization down fer I fergit!

I bought a few hundred rounds; forget the box size. I can always use some more .223.

If the weather would cooperate I'd shoot that rifle. It was WAY low 20's this morning and wind would cut through you like flatulence through fishnet drawers. It got up to 55 degrees this afternoon and the wind about half that. I'm about to give up!
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,037 Senior Member
    edited March 10 #65
    tennmike said:
    Big Chief said:

I bought a few hundred rounds; forget the box size. I can always use some more .223.

If the weather would cooperate I'd shoot that rifle. It was WAY low 20's this morning and wind would cut through you like flatulence through fishnet drawers. It got up to 55 degrees this afternoon and the wind about half that. I'm about to give up!
    Would you like some 🧀 with your 🍷
     you big 🌭
    😁
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    tennmike said:
    Big Chief said:

Would you like some 🧀 with your 🍷
     you big 🌭
    😁
    Raining and windy again today. I can't shoot in the rain; I'm so sweet I might melt away!

I’m sending you a freakin’ umbrella...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    The weather is BEAUTIFUL today for shooting. So I burned up about half a brick total in the T-Bolt. It's a finicky little heifer, too. So here's the picks of the groups. If you don't recognize the target, well, it's the 25 meter qual target for the M-16 and M-4 carbine. Groups at 50 yards.
    The Federal Champion group is 2 3/4". Not a winner.

Sellier and Bellot honks, too, at 2 3/4".

Next up is Golden Eagle 40 grain. 1 1/2" group. Not bad.

Next, S&K Pistol Match. 40 grain. 1" group.

PMC Target X2 2" Group.

Aguila SE Extra. 2 1/2" group.

AR Tactical. 2" group.

CCI Mini Mag. NOW WE'RE GETTING SOMEWHERE! 1 3/8" group. Actually 36 grain.

Last, Remington Target 40 grain. 1 1/2" group.

Hey you are off to the races. That rifle must be very picky..........you will hit on on hole groups as you keep trying different ammo.

Try some Fiocchi HP, CCI Select, CCI Std, Auto-Match, CCI 40 grain solids Mini-Mags and a dozen or so others and I'll bet you will zero in on the sweet ammo spot it likes.

How about NORMAUSA Tactical or Target......Blazer...........or the real expensive fodder?

That Rem Target was gettin them right in there.....
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    What do you think of the rifle itself, trigger/stock and how it handles? 
    It may shooter better the more you break it in.
    Big Chief said:
    What do you think of the rifle itself, trigger/stock and how it handles? 
    The trigger is still a little stiff, and so is the bolt. The trigger hardly moves before releasing the sear, though. I like that. The rifle gave me fits because it's so light; hard to get a good rest position. Heartbeat made the crosshairs dance.
    Big Chief said:
    It may shooter better the more you break it in.
    I shot about 250 rounds of Remington promotional stuff in it before shooting any groups to dirty up the barrel.

Big Chief, you recognize those target symbols? :smile:

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    I sure MISS the popcorn emoji :(

You had to say that?

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

Yep, M16 Target silhouettes.  We had some they called a 1000 inch target and had different sized silhouettes that was supposedly as good as shootin out to 300 yards starting at 25 or something. Not the same but better than nuthin for soldiers to shoot at.

Fired at from 25 meters.

Something like these for when a regular 300 meter range wasn't available.

https://www.speedwelltargets.com/DOD-M16-A1-p/dodm16a1.htm

A good rifle like a good woman has to be "Broken In" or, at least, you have to get used to it. A rifle won't "Ask" you to take out the trash or go to a shopping mall or talk back either! 
    Big Chief said:
    Yep, M16 Target silhouettes.  We had some they called a 1000 inch target and had different sized silhouettes that was supposedly as good as shootin out to 300 yards starting at 25 or something. Not the same but better than nuthin for soldiers to shoot at.

Fired at from 25 meters.

Something like these for when a regular 300 meter range wasn't available.

https://www.speedwelltargets.com/DOD-M16-A1-p/dodm16a1.htm

The ones I have are the BIG 36 inch x 48 inch targets. They have a initial sight-in target on the upper right for a total of 8 separate targets. The seven silhouette sections have 4 different sized targets for simulating 100-400 meter aiming points. I don't even know if they make them anymore. I have about 105 of them left, though.

I have a LOT of the Remington .22 Target and the CCI Mini Mag ammunition, and it seems to like both. I just need a more steady rest than the one I was using today.

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 844 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    I sure MISS the popcorn emoji :(

You mean this one?

smilie_essen_085gif

• AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,226 Senior Member
    There are some nice groups, specially with the SK and the CCI....good shooting!
    I'm glad you finally got out to play!  Seems like she has potential!
    I think for the price point/performance CCI Mini-Mags are hard to beat, either the HPs or solids.

Having said that, .22s are sure finicky (especially semi-autos) and full of surprises about what .22 ammo they shoot best. Good news is there are lots to try out which is another good excuse to shoot them more.

• BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,692 Senior Member
    The rimfire forum seems to swear by Federal 510's and CCI Blazers.

Barring that really normal stuff, I would think Federal Match would work well.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,226 Senior Member
    For a while Blazers were the only available bulk ammo over here and performance in everything I tested them in was GOOD....no FTFes, FTFis, FTEs, squibs, etc. Haven't seen them again since the late '00s.
    So far have only used Federal American Eagle 40gr. HVLRNs and can also testify their great reliability and adequate performance in every kind of pistol, rifle and revolver tested.
    I was really surprised of the poor performance of the S&B R E X ammo. It shoots GREAT in  my 10/22s and my Ruger 96 lever action, and most of my bolt action .22s. Odd, to say the least. Guess I'll be stocking up on CCI mini mags and the S&K as I find it.

I've seen where them Blazers have been doing pretty good Antonio. I almost bought a couple bricks off PSA on sale here a couple weeks ago to try, but decided on Mini-Mags which I already know do good in my Ruger American and Marlin mdl 60, as well as, my Buckmark and Ruger MKII pistols. I still may try some.

Some folks swear by NormaUSA Tactical and Target .22 ammo, others not so pleased.....again I guess it depends on your particular gun and even the Lot#

One thing is in them higher end rifles, once they find a brand of the more expensive .22 ammo like Eley they try and buy all they can from the same lot# and they usually find a 2nd and 3rd best brand at much less cost for practice.

Sometimes the top-end stuff only has a slight difference in group sizes when measured with a caliper, but that is a slight edge they want and pay for. They want consistency shot after shot and that comes from the manufacturing process.

Me, I hover around in the bulk and 100/50 rd paks of stuff that runs from cheap to maybe 5 bucks per 50 rds and hope/try to hit upon a brand that I can live with and does well in my guns and so far CCI Mini-Mags work pretty good in almost all my .22s

CCI has some called Select and the Std velocity that are promising too. I guess the high velocity and hyper aren't usually gonna be anywhere as accurate as standard velocity/sub-sonic is, as a rule of thumb.

But to find a brand that does well in bolt and semi-auto rifles/ pistols  and revolvers that does it all.........is a quest that most likely will never be achieved.

It is fun and interesting trying and disappointing at times too.

Good Luck animated emoticon
    Big Chief said:
    Good Luck animated emoticon
    If that's for me, I just ordered a bunch of both from Midway. And it's on sale! :smile: