Shameless

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,088 Senior Member
Anybody watch that show on NetFlix or Showtime(?).

I watched a couple episodes from season 1 today. 

I guess it is an American takeoff on a British show with the same name/theme.

If so what do you thunk about it?
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,304 Senior Member
    Reminds me too much of the families whom kids I teach. Couldn't watch it.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    edited March 11 #3

A comedy drama centred on a working class culture, much acclaimed by the media luvvies.

I was involved for far too long on the real council estates of Manchester/Liverpool cities to find it in any way entertaining.

They did not work, had no class and the only culture was to be found on the clothes left lying in heaps on the floor.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,088 Senior Member
    edited March 11 #4
    The American version, most of age work except the drunk of a father who scams the welfare system. They steal, cheat and lie to make ends meet. One neighbor is a video online p o r n star, one kid a butt ranger, BF of oldest daughter steals cars for a living, she works as a motel maid and steals toilet paper and bars of soap from her workplace.

If anything good about the family can be said it is the oldest daughter who keeps the very dysfunctional family together and tries make ends meet and put food on the table and keep the lights on.

They all pitch in in their own way.

Not exactly what I'd want fer neighbors or friends.

Not sure how many more I'll watch. Entertaining enough and has some funny if not grungy/sordid moments.  

Oh well, free with NetFlix.............beats the Yak Yak news/Fake News shows (which are gettin harder and harder to tell apart anymo!).

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:

It's on showtime on Direct TV from time to time. I've tried to watch it but always fall asleep.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:

It's on showtime on Direct TV from time to time. I've tried to watch it but always fall asleep.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,697 Senior Member
    The guy in me that gets up and goes to work every day, pays taxes, etc. . .has a hard time watching stuff like that.  Sopranos, Goodfellas, et al - every single character is - from my narrow perspective - a scumbag that should be put in a hole.

But my inner amateur anthropologist finds it a little bit fascinating - we all follow our biological imperatives to eat, stay warm, hook up with those we want to sleep with, an provide the same for what we regard as our "tribe"; the only difference is the moral codes we follow to get there, and the code is only "wrong" to those living outside it.  Dealing with those perspectives of morality was what made Breaking Bad such a great show
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,250 Senior Member
    The title of the show says it all. There are some very cringe-worthy moments on Shameless. The father (Frank) is likely the most despicable character I've ever seen. 
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,112 Senior Member
    The snowflakes who select our TV programming have relegated all of the good old shows to those channels for geezers that give you five minutes of viewing pleasure, punctuated by eight minute commercials for pharmaceuticals, walk-in bathtubs, and abused pets. It's no wonder that otherwise sensible people are starting to be susceptible to shows with such an obvious political message. I recommend adding a hard drive to your DVR and snatching the good stuff on to it, while it still exists. Watching reruns with your thumb on the fast-forward button beats the hell out of desensitizing yourself to social dysfunction. Better still, go shoot your guns and buy a zero-turn lawnmower to entertain yourself. BB guns help, too. :)
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,296 Senior Member
    I watched a few episodes but couldn't get into it. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • philo426philo426 Member Posts: 360 Member
    Yes very dysfunctional family the eldest daughter Fiona managed a restaurant and bought a laundromat.Trying to get somewhere.Macy's character Frank is truly vile and amoral.