Old Guns ......New Guns

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,361 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    Does anyone know how long posted pictures stay on in this forum ?
    With all the crazy stuff going on it makes me wonder if I should even post a picture of a gun.
    I really like the ones I have seen here & hope there isn't a cost for all who have posted. When you see & hear all the crazy stuff it does make you wonder. ( or at least is has me ) For me a picture is a way to tell all that what I am saying is not BS it is real & there it is. Not that some would make up things on the internet ! I like seeing all the talented people on here & the things they do.
    Internet is forever.............Remember that time at band camp back when everyone got crazy and......
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,540 Senior Member
    Part of the reason I asked that was with this new forum .......old posted pictures are gone.
    Gone for good off the server would be a good thing after so much time goes by. I think all the gun grabbing talk has me a little touchy about what I show on the internet. Funny how people find ways to take the fun out of sharing things with others.
    Never did the band camp thing. When I was in school I spent a lot of time in the deans office.So long that I started dating his secretary. ( she was fun ) Summers I worked & found new ways to get in trouble. Exploring lead mines was a way to get away too. Found one that way back in it still had the tracks & equipment for digging. The government wanted to buy it from my gramps but he wouldn't sell it. They said it was to be used for storing papers in. Cramps said it would be more like bombs.That mine had to go a mile or more with fingers all over the place.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,088 Senior Member
    edited March 12 #395
    "Any advice on scopes would be appreciated ! "

Things look funny if a scope is mounted backwards!

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    Big Chief said:
    "Any advice on scopes would be appreciated ! "

Things look funny if a scope is mounted backwards!

That is so true .......took one back to the store 3 times because it looked small !
    :)
    While I am at the shop today I hope to get my blueing tanks arranged so I can get a few parts done early this year. The hot blueing goes really fast .......the prep work ....Not so much ! Not as slow as sanding on stocks or checkering. Saw a stock that a guy did wood burning on. My first thought was wow that was a nice stock before he did that to it. Lipstick on a pig is still a pig.
    Toning down the shine on the stocks. Is it best to use steel wool then wax or sand then wax?
    Or something else ?
    I went to an auction this weekend that had 9 hand guns at . All 9 brought more money than you could buy them any day for. I have no idea why people spend like that. It has me thinking about taking some to an auction & see what they will bring. If I sell 10 or 20 guns ......that would give me a few bucks to buy new treasures ! The really hard part is picking out what to sell ( I'm not big on selling )
    A guy called me today wanting to know if I would buy 1/2 of a Winchester 12 ga. pump ( 1897 )
    I said well depends on what you call 1/2 so next Tuesday I will stop & take a look at that. I just finished finding parts for 2 of those so I should have a better idea what's missing & what it will cost to bring back to life. Am I a magnet for broken guns or do you guys run into this stuff too ?
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,037 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    A guy called me today wanting to know if I would buy 1/2 of a Winchester 12 ga. pump ( 1897 )
    I said well depends on what you call 1/2 so next Tuesday I will stop & take a look at that. I just finished finding parts for 2 of those so I should have a better idea what's missing & what it will cost to bring back to life. Am I a magnet for broken guns or do you guys run into this stuff too ?
    I don’t normally get a lot of offers to buy broken stuff but I do seem to find a fair amount of well neglected treasures.  Most of them need simple repairs and some TLC but not major surgery.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Old Ron said:
    Toning down the shine on the stocks. Is it best to use steel wool then wax or sand then wax?
    Or something else ?
    I moderate shine with the grit number of my finishing wet/dry paper and then do one last pass of tung oil and rub with a clean cloth.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Sounds like a plan ska ..... I will give that a try soon as I thaw out a bit here.
    A great day in the gun parts mess !
    I was looking for parts for a Winchester 97 & found an action for a double barrel I lost 3 weeks ago ! Some days turning over this pile of parts pays off. Keeping parts in 1 place is a tough job but I am making a little forward movement there.With so much stuff it is easy to get distracted & go another direction. ( must be a old guy thing )
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    If you're still bringing down the sheen on those stocks, try the rotten stone. You can order it from Brownells or I think Midway has it. Or just sand it down and rub on some oil and rub it off with some panty hose.

Also, I know the purists on here will scream but one gun I have I did with satin polyurethane spray according to Boyd's Gun Stocks directions. You spray it on and wet sand it. It fills the poors fast. The last coat you just spray with the Polyurethane and be done. It looks like hand rubbed and is very durable.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Rubbing a stock with panty hose could be fun ........how do you get her to stand still ?
    Seriously that sounds easy enough. I have a lot of stocks to finish so am trying all kinds of things to see what turns out the best. I just put the finish on one & put it on the action & it didn't fit ........I grabbed the wrong stock in the sanding pile & it wasn't fitted yet. Soooooo now I need to trim it a bit & hope the wood will take the finish to match. I guess that's the down side to having so many of the same type of things at different stages going on at the same time. I have 3 laminate stocks & think I will use the clear polly on those so I don't dull the bright colors of the wood.
    I may not try to polish in a bar.  " Hi there would you mind me polishing my wood between your legs ?" Yep that would get me thrown out of the bar !
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:

I may not try to polish in a bar.  " Hi there would you mind me polishing my wood between your legs ?" Yep that would get me thrown out of the bar !
    Nobody wears panty hose anymore, (well maybe Zorba), and the ones that do, would probably set the stock on fire!!
    But, it sounds like an interesting procedure!! Maybe CPJ could give us a range report!!:)
    snake284 said:'
    If you're still bringing down the sheen on those stocks, try the rotten stone. You can order it from Brownells or I think Midway has it. Or just sand it down and rub on some oil and rub it off with some panty hose.

Also, I know the purists on here will scream but one gun I have I did with satin polyurethane spray according to Boyd's Gun Stocks directions. You spray it on and wet sand it. It fills the poors fast. The last coat you just spray with the Polyurethane and be done. It looks like hand rubbed and is very durable.
    Panty hose or nylons, they used to just call 'em stockings, are excellent applicator for oils. It flows them on smoothly and evenly.

Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited March 23 #409
    Old Ron said:
    Or something else ?
    I never had any luck with steel wool. It seemed to polish it more than tone it down. I like 400 or 600 paper better, then wax. and if you got it Rotten Stone with the wax.
    Old Ron said:
    Rubbing a stock with panty hose could be fun ........how do you get her to stand still ?
    Seriously that sounds easy enough. I have a lot of stocks to finish so am trying all kinds of things to see what turns out the best. I just put the finish on one & put it on the action & it didn't fit ........I grabbed the wrong stock in the sanding pile & it wasn't fitted yet. Soooooo now I need to trim it a bit & hope the wood will take the finish to match. I guess that's the down side to having so many of the same type of things at different stages going on at the same time. I have 3 laminate stocks & think I will use the clear polly on those so I don'tdull the bright colors of the wood.
    Remove the panty hose first, Duh.....

And stay out of them bars when you polishing things!
    At my age the bars is the best place to get wood polished !
    Was digging around & found this old gal. Almost forgot I bought her.
    The snack was needed with all this digging.

Those are actually a lot of fun!
    I bought that years ago when they first came out. ( in shotgun news ) Took it to the range shot it 4 or 5 times broke the ejector spent 2 weeks waiting for than .....put it in & hung it up. I think the problem was that I used some Israeli military ammo . That stuff was really hot ! I only have 5 or 6 boxes of it & will not shoot 1 more round until I take them apart & reload them. None of my 9mm s like that hot of a load.
    Well it is snowing here & the auction starts in 4 hours. If we get the 12" they are calling for .....there might be some good buys. Thunder snow can do that. I have been thinking about making a gun rack out of hog fence. Only problem is finding a wall space to put it on. ( I need a way bigger house ) The last auction 8 out of 9 guns went for more than new price. I may just bid on shop treasures or antiques. I have a problem that every time something odd comes up for auction ........my arm pops up.
    Well the auction is over ,the 4" of snow is gone & the truck is full. Couldn't buy a gun so bought a steam whistle , 3 rolls of re-bar wire couple small tables a sewing machine & a cooler that looks like a fishing bobber. And still have gun money left !
    Now THAT is a rather eclectic shopping list 😂
    Now you are seeing how my mind works ! :)
    A little scary buddy 🤪
    You should see the world through my eyes for a day ! :)
    You do have to admit this whistle has potential.

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    That whistle is cool! It would be perfect on my '68 Buick!
    Before I doll it all up I plan to see if I can make it sing again !
    Side note .......I am still scratching away with checkering Al  ( not looking like checkering yet )