1911 mags

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,304 Senior Member
I have a Springfield Armory 1911, 45 ACP. I have 2 mags and want to get a couple more.

Are all 1911 mags interchangeable? Are there some brands that work with certain brand names of pistols better than others.

How about cost? Any lower priced mags worth the savings?

Thanks
Bellcat
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,296 Senior Member
    1911 mags are interchangeable as long as they aren't for the Officers model or the Springfield EMP.

As far as which mags to buy, do it right the first time and get some Wilson 47D's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,146 Senior Member
    1911 mags are interchangeable as long as they aren't for the Officers model or the Springfield EMP.

As far as which mags to buy, do it right the first time and get some Wilson 47D's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,270 Senior Member
    Wilsons are great but I’ll toss Tripp Cobra Mags into the mix @ about $32 on sale ... excellent mags and you can buy rebuild kits (new follower & spring) for under $8.

https://www.trippresearchinc.com/store/store_1911.html
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,440 Senior Member
    Less expensive but still decent, are Chip McCormick mags. I have a couple and have never had any issues with my Springfield or my Kimber.

I also have KimPro Tac mags and a couple of Wilson Combats.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,037 Senior Member
    I've been running Wilson Combat, Chip McCormick (Match mags)) and Kimber KimPro Tac Mags, all of them in 8 rounds for Government and 7 rounds for Officer, for years with no mag related malfunctions.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • 1911LVR1911LVR New Member Posts: 7 New Member
    I found these mags to be high quality and at only about $15 each they are very affordable. I definitely plan to buy more of them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1911-mag-magazine-mags-5-Stainless-Steel-8-shot-USA-45-caliber-/252322271250
    US Navy Veteran * NRA and GOA Member
    =================================
    Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,722 Senior Member
    I use the Springfield GI-spec 7-rd. mags. Guess I'm contrarian. I've had longer mag spring life and more dependable function when dirty/linty than the Chip McCormick Shooting Star 8-rd. mags.

Plus the dimple on the follower gives a little more leeway if your 1911's grungy. Browning knew what he was doing. You give up a round, but I carrt the 1911 fpr ease of reloading and ergonomics. I have a Hi Power if I need capacity.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,425 Senior Member
    +3 on the Wilson’s 47D’s. I run them in my SA range officer. Great mags.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,256 Senior Member
    Mec gar are good budget mags. They make a lot of OEM mags. CMC and Tripp work well for me. Just don't buy promag anything.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • wddodgewddodge Senior Member Posts: 962 Senior Member
    Elk creek wrote: »
    +3 on the Wilson’s 47D’s. I run them in my SA range officer. Great mags.

I guess I'm the +4 for the Wilsons. I went thru alot of inexpensive mags shooting IDPA till I tried the Wilsons. I used borrowed Wilsons for 2 matches then bit the bullet and bought 10 8 round mags. That's been about 10 years ago and they're still going strong.

Denny
    Participating in a gun buy back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids.... Clint Eastwood
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,931 Senior Member
    Wilson Combat, or CMC are the top choices IMO. Never a problem with either one.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,697 Senior Member
    Checkmate is making tapered feed lips in the USGI pattern again. These return your 1911 to something much like a Mauser 98's claw extractor, controlled-round feed system. As the round gets shoved forward by the slide, the lips gradually open up allowing the nose of the round to pivot upward as the tail end gradually rises into the extractor.

A couple years back, I did a bit of gonzo experimenting in which I was successfully able to get an unaltered GI 1911 to feed a cast bullet design with more meplat than, honestly, the pistol really wants. I learned a lot about the minutiae of how a 1911 cycles, and the gun fed them with a few other types of mags, but in checking nose damage caused by impact with the feed ramp, the GI pattern mags abused them the least.

Lots of decent mags out there - your factory Springfields included - but barring materials upgrades, John had it pretty much right from the get-go.

I can't say I've had bad luck with 8-round mags, but most of the bad luck I have had has been with 8-round mags, if that makes any kind of sense. When the zombies come, make mine sevens.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,304 Senior Member
    Picked up 2 CMC's......both feed great! Thanks for advice.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,037 Senior Member
    They have been creeping up in price.  When I bought my last batch of them I got them on sale from Midway for $13 a pop.  Never had an issue with them in any of my guns.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Squawk BoxSquawk Box New Member Posts: 49 Member
    Chip McCormick "Shooting Star", magazines are some of the best, and they will fit any 1911 .45 Auto.
    And they are reasonably priced.