Torque values for Marlin Model 60s

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,387 Senior Member
edited March 13 in General Firearms #1
If there are any, I can't find them. Snug?

The two stock screws and two for the trigger guard.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,675 Senior Member
    I've always just turned them in until the bottom out and then give them a 1/4 turn more if they'll take that. 15 inch/lbs wouldn't be excessive.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,387 Senior Member
    OK, thanks.

I had it all apart to put in one of those Mcarbo Trigger Bundle kits and have it finalized and was putting it back together when I thought about that.

Thank God for their how to video or I'd still be trying to figure out what goes where if I was just reading some instructions. Putting my LT on the table and watching/rewinding and on pause helped a lot.

There is a reason they put 2 Disconnector springs in the bag! I got something wrong the first time around.

It tested good on the safety fire/no-fire test and breaks around 3 1/2 lbs now instead of the 5-6 pound pull it had. I had to play with the over-travel set screw on the trigger because, at first it wouldn't fire when the safety was off, finally got it.

One big surprise was all the crud/gunk built up in the action and chamber end where the bolt closes into the slots. Wonder it fired at all. So a lot of Gun Scrubber/Q-Tips and cleaning went into cleaning it up as I was going.

I've never had it apart before, just cleaned the bbl and what I could get to from the outside, much less take it all the way down/apart to remove springs and bolt.

I see on their website Mcarbo has a good reference on troubleshooting the model 60, good to bookmark. They also provide a pdf of a owners manual which BTW recommends taking it apart to clean (not completely, but stock and major assemblies) after firing

https://www.mcarbo.com/store/pg/39-Marlin-Troubleshooting.aspx

And a link to owners manual pdf.
    https://www.mcarbo.com/Marlin-60-Owners-Manual.pdf

"We recommend cleaning the inside of the
    receiver, bolt face, extractors, and butt
    end of the barrel (around the chamber)
    after firing each 250 rounds.(Frequency
    of cleaning may depend on brand of
    ammunition used."

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    edited March 13 #4
    I recommend watching Mcarbo's video and see if you are up to doing it first. Replacement parts are quality made and they stand behind their products. I'm not a gunsmith by any stretch of the imagination and thunked on it awhile before I ordered.

I'll hit the range soon and make a report on the kit and the difference it made while I am shootin the Marlin.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    I just snug it tight.  If you have a plastic trigger guard, not quite as tight. I think you'll enjoy the trigger improvement.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    Thanks.........I see they now offer some springs for the Mini-14/Ranch Rifle.............maybe I'll buy a upgrade for my RR.

Yep, my Marlin model 60 (circa 1995/96) has the plastic TG, but was made North Haven CT before the changeover. As was my model 883 .22 Magnum.

Hey, Big Chief, and anyone else interested. When cleaning the chamber face of crud buildup the BEST tool I've found for that is a CHEAP battery powered toothbrush with the round head. Just dip it in your favorite powder crud remover, stick it on the chamber face, and turn it on and let it do it's thing. You can get 'em cheap at WallyWorld. Good for cleaning other gun parts, too. They work pretty good for cleaning teeth, too, just don't get the two mixed up!

I've used regular manual TBs before on some guns.

Now that wouldn't taste too good!

There was a feller on here some years ago who decided to take a bath with his rifle and it was soaked in Hoppe's #9..............said it was hard to get off his skin and left an awful ring in the tub!
    edited March 14 #9
    I may be wrong, but he was either a FLA or a TX member (the same guy who ran marathons and had bleeding from his n_i_p_p_l_e_s??)
    I remember him but can't remember his name.

edited March 14 #11
    Got my 2 Speed D 15 Loaders I ordered filled up, one with 112  Mini-Mags and the other with Auto-Match fer when I hit the range next with the Marlin model 60. It holds 14 rds, some say actually you can get 15 rds in its tube (Marlin model 60).

Marlin 883 .22 Mag holds 12 and the Speed Ds will hold 11 of them in each cavity if I want.

Kinda hoping some the 20 rd AR mags I ordered from 2 different places will show up today. I have to remove the weight tray from one rest to use 30 round mags and even on the other rest they get in the way from the bench. 20 rd mags are just more of a convenience than anything else, just more handy for some firing positions and maneuverability.   

I have a couple of those Speed D loaders. Pretty handy to have when at the range. They sure make filling up a tube magazine fast. I've had mine for YEARS! Surprised they're still being made.