Range report 5” 44 special GP100

Elk creekElk creek Senior MemberPosts: 5,577 Senior Member
Today was a beautiful day here so off to the range I went. I took the new GP100 5”  44 special and the 3” special. The 3” shot great as always with a 240grain Keith bullet with 7 grains of unique. That is the standard carry load for it. I shot it in the 5” and it was not pretty, shotgun pattern at best. I was worried! I had some 180grain Remington bullets loaded with 8.5gr or unique with me so I thought what the heck. Well that gun really likes the 180’s! This was at 25 yards. With more time with this revolver I see that group shrinking! 
Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,654 Senior Member
    I love me some .44 S&W Specials..........

Never heard of a .44 Spl that wouldn't shoot 240 grain slugs very good

What is the make of the 3" one you have?

You will find all kinds of loads eventually they both like.

Try backing down the 240s to 6 or 6.5 grains Unique, both my 4" and 6" love that load with hard cast bullets. 

Congrats!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,577 Senior Member
    The 3” is a Ruger GP100 stainless. I’m going to play with the 5” more. I’m sure I can find a 240 load that will shoot. 
  • MichakavMichakav Senior Member Posts: 2,311 Senior Member
    That's a nice looking pistol in a great caliber.

edited March 14 #5
    Or even try bumping your load up to the Skeeter .44 Spl load using 7.5 grains Unique, never know.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief said:
    Or even try bumping your load up to the Skeeter .44 Spl load using 7.5 grains Unique, never know.
    I’m going to play with t for sure. 
    Michakav said:
    That's a nice looking pistol in a great caliber.

Thanks!
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,372 Senior Member
    Looks fun! Guns just seem to have preferences whether long or short. 
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,498 Senior Member
    I'm surprised it didn't like that load. I've been trying Power Pistol with 240 gr cast lead swc's in 44spl and 44mag with good results, but Unique's always done good for me.

Thats a good group for 25 yards. I tend to shoot at less distance. Makes me feel better😁

Good looking revolver.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,522 Senior Member
    Really nice tgt there
    This message has been deleted
    NN said:
    Really nice tgt there
    Thanks!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,119 Senior Member
    Very nice!

i have, as of yet, been able to resist the urge for one of the Ruger flavors in .44 Spl. How long I can resist.........unknown. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,797 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    Very nice!

i have, as of yet, been able to resist the urge for one of the Ruger flavors in .44 Spl. How long I can resist.........unknown. 
    Right there with ya pal.  The pragmatist in me probably would want stainless, but that entire package from the grips to the lack of underlug to to the unfluted cylinder to the 5" barrel is pretty sexy.  I'm trying to visualize how it would look with the top rib milled off leaving only an island base for the front sight. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Zee said:
    Very nice!

Give in, it will feel so good!
    Bigslug said:
    Zee said:
    Very nice!

Right there with ya pal.  The pragmatist in me probably would want stainless, but that entire package from the grips to the lack of underlug to to the unfluted cylinder to the 5" barrel is pretty sexy.  I'm trying to visualize how it would look with the top rib milled off leaving only an island base for the front sight. . .
    Oh now that would be classy!
    Elk creek said:
    Oh now that would be classy!
    Yep.  When I am King, I might just decree that standard production of all revolver barrels will be in the old S&W tapered mode with bull and underlug being the special orders.
    WWJMBD?

Chloe didn’t want me to leave her at home. Sorry kiddo it’s too loud!
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 670 Senior Member
    I like it but I’m a 44 mag kinda guy myself. That’s good shooting at 25 yards. I don’t think I can do that at 25 ft.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,119 Senior Member
    That’s kind of the one aspect that has kept me from them. I can make my Magnums a special. I can’t make a special into one of my mags. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,261 Senior Member
    Good looking pistol.  I would be happy with that target at 25 yards, not sure I could do near as well.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 28,150 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    That’s kind of the one aspect that has kept me from them. I can make my Magnums a special. I can’t make a special into one of my mags. 
    Why?  Elmer Keith did it for years...  

And .44 Spl loads tend to be more accurate in .44 Spl chambers.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Zee said:

Bigslug (Because I can't figure out how to back out into my proper section of the quote box once I accidentally backspace into it.  The new forum seems to save draft with cursor location.  Grrrr)

Well. . .sort of.  It's worth remembering that the primary reason for the extra 0.10" of brass on the .357 and .44 Magnums was not so much about extra powder space as it was to prevent their chambering in things like 1905 Smith M&P's and Colt Peacemakers.  The Genesis Loads for both were done in Special cases in sturdier 1930-1950's era guns.

This format of GP is probably really useful.  Even giving up the top end of the .44 Magnum spectrum (which I've pretty much done even in the bigger guns), you've still got the ability to thump pretty hard at a hundred yards or so, and it is a little thinner carry piece.  "More" isn't always more.

At any rate, it's cute.  I wanna shoot one.
    WWJMBD?

edited March 14 #23
    I don't think I've ever fired .44 Spls in my .44 Mags. If I ever did, it was only a few.  Why, when I have both. I can see there are times when if you own a mag you may want to download for different circumstances, though.

Far as loading up a .44 Spl hotter, it depends on the gun. There is a limit and I wouldn't push my 624s hard very often. Sure they are more or less the same as .44 Mag N framed Mountain Guns with shorter cylinders. There are some differences, I fergit exactly all of them.

The factory .44 Spls are anemic mostly (except some of the lighter bullet weights) as we all know and pumping up reloads some is fine, but if I want magnum performance, I move up to a .44 Magnum. So I'll keep my specials under 1000 FPS and usually in the 800-950 FPS range. Plus the factory stuff works fine as it is for most purposes. 

After all, the appeal of a .44 Spl is its inherent accuracy and mild handling qualities for target work and practicality as a SD/HD round. 

I imagine his Rugers are built tough, but don't know if they would take a lot of "Ruger/TC Only" type loads listed for Blackhawks/Super Blackhawks/Redhawks listed in some reloading data charts. Those were mainly for .45 Colt and .44 Magnum loads.

I know my "New Model" Vaquero in .45 Colt is on a slimmer frame and it is not recommended to fire the heavy loads that the older Vaquero frames would take.  
    Limited to tier 2 loads, not the hotter tier 3 and, of course, tier 1 loads are for the older vintage/antique .45 Colts.

So know your gun (no matter the caliber) and then decide how you will proceed with your reloading.

Plenty of reloading data on the .44 Spl out there.

Yep, ole Elmer did load up his .44 Spls and he also blew up some working up a Magnum load. Here are some of his loads. http://www.handloads.com/articles/default.asp?id=21

Unless you're sniping food across a field like Zee there's no need for top velocity. 200 to 240+gr bullets at 900 to 1000fps will do any job that one takes on. Thats why Ive been using Power Pistol. Its good for moderate loads not so good for high speed.

I recently finished an autobiography of a cop that described discharging his then new (1960's) 41mag during a gun fight and described ear spiliting muzzle blast and hand numbing recoil. Ive had quite enough of that and couldn't help but wonder if there in lies the real story of the 41's failure to go mainstream. Skeeter's advocating the 44spl certainly ran a similar trail.

If I could only shoot half as good as Elk Creek"s 25 yard target, my moderate loads will serve me well.
    Thanks early.....
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,256 Senior Member
    edited March 14 #26
    I need to get my reloading data together and start loading again, I remember the bullet (429421) and load was running 1050 fps out of 4" barrel (pact chronograph). An accurate load (21/2 inches at 25 yards 5 shot group).
    Part II:
    Well the luck of the Irish was with me today.  I loaded some 240 swc bullets with some 800x and success! It shoots the 180’s and 240’s just as well. Well 150 rounds down the pipe and it looks like a keeper for sure. 

Lookin much mo better............the .44 Special is very forgiving and an inherently accurate cartridge and it doesn't take a lot of experimentation to hit on a load that works darn well in most any revolver chambered for it.

edited March 18 #29
    I just looked close at that front sight. That is very cool! Well worth any time it takes to dial in some special loads.
    Big Chief said:
    Lookin much mo better............the .44 Special is very forgiving and an inherently accurate cartridge and it doesn't take a lot of experimentation to hit on a load that works darn well in most any revolver chambered for it.

6.4gr of 800x
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,229 Senior Member
    That's a nice looking pistol. And your handloads look like they have some really good potential. Keep at it and have some fun!
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!