Steven Hawking

BufordBuford Senior MemberPosts: 6,601 Senior Member
RIP A great mind indeed.
Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,738 Senior Member
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,601 Senior Member
    A day late.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    edited March 14 #4
    Buford said:
    A day late.
    In A Brief History of Time, that's not by much.

Stephen Hawking bet Gordon Kane $100 that physicists would not discover the Higgs boson. After losing that bet when physicists detected the particle in 2012, Hawking lamented the discovery, saying it made physics less interesting.

Now, in the preface to a new collection of essays and lectures called "Starmus," the famous theoretical physicist is warning that the particle could one day be responsible for the destruction of the known universe.

Well he was correct about that, his universe at least.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,037 Senior Member
    Brilliant man who proved Medical Doctors are just guessing when they diagnose your condition and chances of making it.  RIP Professor and thanks for making physics cool again...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,987 Senior Member
    A true genius.  RIP
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,738 Senior Member
    Buford said:
    A day late.
    Really? I don't see where anyone else had made a post about it
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,291 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Buford said:
    A day late.
    Really? I don't see where anyone else had made a post about it

"I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,358 Senior Member
    merged the threads
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    merged the threads
    What is  "Failed to find discussion for commenting."
    Well now I know.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

edited March 15 #11
    Doesn't get much better than when he sat in with Peter Frampton back in the early 70s. 

Zee
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,361 Senior Member
    Yep, the world is a little dumber today! 
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,073 Senior Member
    Elon Musk needs to send his earthly remains on a tour of the galaxy....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker said:

It does not have to be his earthly remains, another mannequin in space is cool.

With a little help from  Lego.

• SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,395 Senior Member
    I was on here yesterday and couldn't believe it! I didn't post then because I just had to make sure.

Stephen Hawking knew more about physics than most physicists will ever know. What a loss......... his work lives on though. o:)
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
    Spk said:

Stephen Hawking knew more about physics than most physicists will ever know. What a loss......... his work lives on though. o:)
    I will not post now, I will go off and check about that. :o

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,037 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    Elon Musk needs to stop wasting $90 Million rockets on stupid stunts when his company lost $600+ Million on the 3rd qtr of '17.  He is the PT Barnum of our generation and some day he will be in front of a judge trying to explain the implosion of his empire...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • BuffcoBuffco Senior Member Posts: 6,202 Senior Member
    Buffco said:

So other than theoretical physics, what did he accomplish? Everyone's abuzz with sadness of the loss of a brilliant mind...what did he actually do? I mean sure, he told us to leave earth because the robots will take over, but anyone who watches movies knows that. He maybe should have spent time finding a cure for ALS.
    Zee
    edited March 15 #21
    cpj said:
    So other than theoretical physics, what did he accomplish? Everyone's abuzz with sadness of the loss of a brilliant mind...what did he actually do? I mean sure, he told us to leave earth because the robots will take over, but anyone who watches movies knows that. He maybe should have spent time finding a cure for ALS.
    Yes, but you have got to hand it to him...........................well, like..............he couldn't get it himself, like..........

shush said:
    cpj said:
    Yes, but you have got to hand it to him...........................well, like..............he couldn't get it himself, like..........

Well done. Cold, but well done!
    Zee
    cpj said:
    shush said:
    cpj said:

Well done. Cold, but well done!
    Not cold mate.

A very famous Liverpool comedian, I was fond of, died this week aged 90.

He had more effect on shaping my attitude to living my life than Mr Hawking ever did or ever will for that matter.

cpj said:
    He was a brilliant mind but fell victim to his own popularity. He put forth several theories that were discredited but refused to acknowledge it. Although his brilliance was not to be underestimated, his relevance in the science scene was largely one of a cult personality. 

Think of a Bill Nye or Neil DeGrasse Tyson, but with a lot more credibility than that.
    Buffco said:
    cpj said:
    He was a brilliant mind but fell victim to his own popularity. He put forth several theories that were discredited but refused to acknowledge it. Although his brilliance was not to be underestimated, his relevance in the science scene was largely one of a cult personality. 

Think of a Bill Nye or Neil DeGrasse Tyson, but with a lot more credibility than that.
    So, he did nothing really relevant to everyday life. 
    Zee
    cpj said:
    Buffco said:
    cpj said:

Well, put it this way, I have sold all my shares Exide Technologies.

cpj said:
    More so than Bill Nye, less than Einstein. 
    Let's put it this way, in a no holds barred fight, I could totally kick his butt. 
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,112 Senior Member
    Well, if he was so smart, why didn't he straighten the world out on all of this global warming BS?

I'm quite sure, if he were honest, he would have said that there will not be enough data to concoct a semi-reasonable hypothesis on the subject for another thousand years or so.
    Buffco said:
    Let's put it this way, in a no holds barred fight, I could totally kick his butt. 
    I figure he would run wheels around you.

• TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,043 Senior Member
    edited March 16 #31
    cpj said:

He had some funny guest spots on The Big Bang Theory.

I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx