Best use of keyboard time on 2a issues - Your representatives in Congress

Wambli SkaWambli Ska ModeratorPosts: 26,680 Senior Member
Here is the link to the place where you can EASILY identify who your representatives are in Washington and their phone number and email addresses. It is your best use of keyboard time if you are trying to have your voice heard on 2a issues. :usa:

I'm going to stick this one...

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members

Emailing or writing to the President.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/get-involved/write-or-call/
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,609 Senior Member
    Thanks for the link. I have already sent emails to Trump, Rubio and Desantis.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,644 Senior Member
    Add in your state governor and legislators at the state level.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,609 Senior Member
    Add in your state governor and legislators at the state level.

Yeah, I have to get to that pretty soon.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,644 Senior Member
    Might want to see what was floated out today....
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,177 Senior Member
    I will be writing. I want to see what they do when they get back on Monday first. How I am thinking of wording it is to go over whatever failures occurred in the current system and urge them to take steps to correct that before they entertain the idea of further restricting the rights of Americans.

I will also be addressing the executive branch-- the one that is ultimately in charge of the FBI, to encourage them to stop the political bickering. It is killing morale at the agency and could be a possible factor in letting the shooter slip through the cracks. Cry about it all they want, but they own this. Leadership means taking responsibility for the rank and file and taking proper measures to rectify the situation. It is their duty. Taking swipes at subordinates on social media is unprofessional, poor leadership, and childish. Deal with it.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,680 Senior Member
    Just added the link for the White House.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 882 Senior Member
    Another contact for the President  https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/
    I have used it several times the past few days and have received the

Thank you again for taking the time to write.

With best wishes,

Donald Trump

• Green Mtn. BoyGreen Mtn. Boy New Member Posts: 34 Member
    I find this site most useful for state and federal representatives

https://cqrcengage.com/gunowners/?0
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,041 Senior Member
    I find this site most useful for state and federal representatives

https://cqrcengage.com/gunowners/?0
    I have been using that one a lot lately.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,068 Senior Member
    I will be writing. I want to see what they do when they get back on Monday first. How I am thinking of wording it is to go over whatever failures occurred in the current system and urge them to take steps to correct that before they entertain the idea of further restricting the rights of Americans.

I will also be addressing the executive branch-- the one that is ultimately in charge of the FBI, to encourage them to stop the political bickering. It is killing morale at the agency and could be a possible factor in letting the shooter slip through the cracks. Cry about it all they want, but they own this. Leadership means taking responsibility for the rank and file and taking proper measures to rectify the situation. It is their duty. Taking swipes at subordinates on social media is unprofessional, poor leadership, and childish. Deal with it.
    I have to comment on this. It seems that you have no idea what has been going on with the leadership of the Justice Department and the FBI.

The de facto AG is Rod Rosenstein, because Jeff Sessions has recused himself from doing anything associated with cleaning up the FBI hierarchy. Rosenstein signed the documents asking the FISA courts to issue the warrants that used phony evidence for justification of wiretaps, i.e. the Russian dossier paid for by Hilary Clinton and the DNC. Said dossier was known to contain phony information, and one year (plus) later has still not been verified to contain any factual information. This is not legal, and all the parties involved know it, yet Rosenstein still sits in the drivers seat because Sessions won't fire him and Trump can't fire him without unleashing a completely new firestorm for an obstruction of justice impeachment. This is not conjecture, just because Democrats are spinning it that way.

So, I think telling them to stop 'bickering' is not likely to accomplish much.
    edited March 5 #12
    bisley said:
    I have to comment on this. It seems that you have no idea what has been going on with the leadership of the Justice Department and the FBI. I have read the exact same stuff that you have.

The de facto AG is Rod Rosenstein, because Jeff Sessions has recused himself from doing anything associated with cleaning up the FBI hierarchy. Rosenstein signed the documents asking the FISA courts to issue the warrants that used phony evidence for justification of wiretaps, i.e. the Russian dossier paid for by Hilary Clinton and the DNC. Said dossier was known to contain phony information, and one year (plus) later has still not been verified to contain any factual information. This is not legal, and all the parties involved know it, yet Rosenstein still sits in the drivers seat because Sessions won't fire him and Trump can't fire him without unleashing a completely new firestorm for an obstruction of justice impeachment. This is not conjecture, just because Democrats are spinning it that way.

So, I think telling them to stop 'bickering' is not likely to accomplish much.
    He owns it. He nominated Sessions, He nominated Rosenstein. He nominated Wray. Not Obama. Suck it up and fix it. He wanted the job so he needs to quit being a whining bitch and do the job. Be a man and face his obligations.
    If he does it, the Democrats have their platform for the mid-term elections. A new AG, if he could even get the Senate to approve an honest one, could never bring indictments before a grand jury in time to let the general public digest it, and he will likely be dealing with a Democrat Congress that will have no agenda beyond chasing him out of office. The media would not report it fairly, even if he did have a smoking gun. It would be the end of him keeping campaign promises, and the left will have won.

If, on the other hand, he can hold the Republican congress through the mid-terms, a new AG would have two years to prove what the evidence shows, assuming that McConnell would use the 'nuclear option' to get a new AG approved. Without it, the Democrats will never approve an AG that does not have Democrat credentials, and the FBI does not get cleaned up. The new FBI Director seems to be playing the same CYA game that Comey was - he thinks the Trump presidency is not going to survive, so he's protecting his career.

I'm quite sure that Gen. Kelly has this all figured out in a way similar to what I described, and is urging him not to accept Sessions resignation. Trump's instinct is to get rid of anyone who doesn't do what he wants, and he has to be chomping at the bits to get Sessions out and fire Rosenstein, and find another way to win the mid-terms
    edited March 5 #14
    I typed out a long rebuttal to this, but when I went back in it to edit it a second time, it wiped out the whole post. This has happened twice, now plus another one just disappeared - moderated, I reckon.

**** it.
    edited March 5 #15
    The mods are powerless at the moment (still). Did you check your "drafts" folder?
    Yeah. I can get away with one edit, but when I try it again, all of the text disappears.
    Anyway. So you understand my position better-- This is Management 101 where I am taking my position from. I wasn't buying it when Obama blamed it on Bush, I am not buying it now. When something goes wrong at my business, no matter who screwed up, it is my fault and i am accountable for it. I am sure the same goes for Wambli. If his underlings screw up, it is his fault and his job to deal with it. I expect the same accountability from the president.

I doubt that lashing out against underlings on Twitter was taught at Wharton Business School. He knows better and I expect better.
    I'll try again.

The gist of what I wrote is that General Kelly (Chief of Staff) is probably the only one who can keep Trump from going 'balls out' on cleaning up the swamp.

I suspect that Kelly's strategic mind has led him to believe that the president can't fire Sessions or Rosenstein without giving the Democrats the platform they want for the mid-term elections. Odds are that, with their control of the media, they can knock down the Republicans with a full court press on obstruction of justice. It wouldn't hold up, legally, but it would probably hand both houses of congress back to the Democrats, and that would be the end of Trump's promise-keeping mania. It's been tough enough with a Republican congress.

You are looking at it through a political lens. I am looking at it through the viewpoint of what I would like to see from good government. Good politics is something entirely different from good government. 17 people were murdered and this isn't about politics. The government screwed up. They were too busy being politicians to bother themselves with being representatives, senators, and presidents-- working for the people. They are pointing the fingers on their bloody hands at everyone but themselves. It is time they look in the mirror.
    Maybe the difference is that I have always gotten good representation from the Republicans I have voted for. Ted Cruz and John Cornyn are my senators and Louis Gohmert is my House representative. Of the three, the only one I have reservations about is Cornyn, Even so, Cornyn always ends up voting the way I want - I just characterize him as a political opportunist, because he doesn't buck the establishment unless he is campaigning for re-election. I would love to 'primary' him, but not until someone comes along that is more staunchly conservative about gun rights, immigration, and the economy. Actually Cornyn would be a huge improvement for almost any other state, so asking for another representative the caliber of Cruz and Gohmert is simply wishing for perfection, in my case. Cruz and Gohmert have been consistently right on the issues that matter most to me, so I consider them to be two members of Congress out of a very small group of people who have remained true to their stated beliefs, regardless of establishment arm-twisting.

As for looking at it through a political lens, you are absolutely right. Gohmert, Cruz, Rand Paul, Mike Lee, and a handful of others are about as far as I am prepared to go toward casting my lot with martyrs. Politics is what we have to address major problems. Short of armed revolution, it is the only way that currently exists for the people to control the direction of the country. When combined with journalists who report the truth, politics is the answer. At present, the scarcity of honest journalism corrupts politics to a greater than normal degree, but it is still all we have, short of the masses taking to the streets. Even if that were to happen, the so-called journalists would lie about what it meant.

Meanwhile, the challenge for us is to resist the easy way out, which is declaring that all politicians are crooked and therefore the same. You cannot equate a Ted Cruz to a Chuck Schumer, or a Louis Gohmert to a Nancy Pelosi, and expect to be happy.with any outcome that results from that.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,680 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    Meanwhile, the challenge for us is to resist the easy way out, which is declaring that all politicians are crooked and therefore the same. You cannot equate a Ted Cruz to a Chuck Schumer, or a Louis Gohmert to a Nancy Pelosi, and expect to be happy.with any outcome that results from that.
    Brilliant and so true..
  • NomadacNomadac Senior Member Posts: 882 Senior Member
    In addition to contacting your Congressman and Senators both Federal and State to express your view on Firearms Legislation.
     I recommend sending letters to The Editor of you local paper. My local paper just published my letter "Stop blaming guns, NRA for Florida shooting" to respond to people promoting Gun Control.

Those writing letters blaming guns vs. the shooter I have found know nothing about firearms, firearm laws, etc. They overstate the number and frequency of mass school shootings, number killed/wounded, handguns vs. AR-15's used, large capacity mags, when a shooter can use std. mags and just carry more, as they can be changed in seconds, etc.
    We need to respond to those that are against all firearms and the Second Amendment and present the facts not wishful thinking expecting different results. The media never publishes articles that report how someone with a firearm prevented a crime or shot a deranged shooter.
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 463 Member
    I’ve never bothered. I just can’t imagine that any state rep has the time or care in the world to read emails. It’d go right in the spam folder if I were them.
    I’ve never bothered. I just can’t imagine that any state rep has the time or care in the world to read emails. It’d go right in the spam folder if I were them.
    Even so, they are going to have somebody 'skim' them enough to determine positive or negative, and if positive towards their stated views, they will select the best ones to use as evidence of support for those views. Never discount the value of having the ability to persuade, through well-written arguments. Increasing your writing skills is not much different from sharpening your favorite kitchen knife, or installing a more user-friendly trigger in your target rifles.

If you want to get them read, you have to be very good at stating your valid points in a way that might make a neutral person take a second look at it. At the very least, you are going to add 'form' to your vague opinions, and, having made the effort to express them in the best way you are able, you will be a better advocate for your beliefs.