Painting a fiberglass stock

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,768 Senior Member
I know a lot here have painted plastic, but has anyone worked with fiberglass?

I'm sending another M70 off to Extreme Rifle Works for another MPI stock, but this one is graphite and Kevlar (even lighter!!woohoo) base with fiberglass outside. Was thinking about trying to paint this myself and save a chunk of change.

Any rattle cans that work? Certain types if paint to avoid?
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 20,743 Senior Member
    I’ve painted a bunch of stuff with Brownell’s AlumaHyde II and it’s worked well with proper preparation.

Epoxy Based Paint and Solvent Resistant. Not an indefinite paint but darn right durable for $11 a can.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,768 Senior Member
    nothing is indefinite on a real hunting rifle lol

My thoughts on painting myself was the easy touch up WHEN it gets dinged.

Hey Zedrick, wanna trade your painting skills for 500 s&w brass?
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    nothing is indefinite on a real hunting rifle lol

My thoughts on painting myself was the easy touch up WHEN it gets dinged.

Hey Zedrick, wanna trade your painting skills for 500 s&w brass?

Sounds good to me.
    Good move! The man has the best touch with an Alumahyde can this side of the Pecos :tooth:

And he has a 500, I don't lol yet I have components I'll never use.

Its a 25-06, btw. The bolt is being sent of for its own weight reduction fluting. Hoping I can get this one to right at 7lbs or less scoped.
    Nice!!! :cool2:

One more MPI from him for the 375 and I'm DONE with custom fiberglass. Love the results, but I could buy a Ruger American Bortex package, or TWO Axis's (axi is the plural??) For just what the damn stock costs. But man, they're nice. I don't think I could ever go back to plastic or even B&C
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,780 Senior Member
    Good move! The man has the best touch with an Alumahyde can either side of the Pecos :tooth:

FIFY
    Well, rifles finally back! As well,  the bolt is back from being fluted.  Found a coupon on my other forum,  and the bolt only ended up being  $25 For the work.  Weight reduction is minimal..... but every ounce counts, and it looks cool
    Good start. 
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,509 Senior Member
    Looks like a slick rifle.  For a Wimpchester!😜
    Zee said:
    Good start. 
    Still want to trade 500 components for a paint job?
    Yessir. Kevlar MPI
    I had the last one painted by the smith, opted not to this time..
    cpj said:
    Yessir. Kevlar MPI
    Since I've never been known to mince
    words...I'd be PISSED OFF if a stock that expensive came to me in that rough of a  condition. Scratched to **** and a big ass hole in it? No. Not a chance. 
    I had him leave it unfinished.  The previous finished stock had no flaws
    What does it weigh?
    Didn't weigh yet. But its vey light.  I have no idea where my scale is at after the house remodel
    cpj said:
    I get unfinished. Holes and gouges? **** no. 
    I didn't notice the gouge until now.  No holes though
    Zee said:
    Good start. 
    Still want to trade 500 components for a paint job?
    👍🏻