Home Main Category Clubhouse

Sometimes it's better to keep your mouth shut and just nod

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,054 Senior Member
For like the fourth weekend in row since the new ranch house has been finished we had company for the weekend.  My wife invited some of her co-workers and spouses.  One husband in particular drives me nut with his all knowing everything about anything.  He was still surprised my cattle were still on the ranch and had not jumped the fence to greener pastures.  He had a Black Angus jump a fence once and therefore all Black Angus are fence jumpers and sooner or later all mine would be gone.  I told him my longhorns keep them in there place. 

I really tried hard, I mean I really tried hard not to have my eyes doing back flips in their eye sockets.  Well then we get down to hog hunting and he lets me know Ruger has just come out with the ultimate hog rifle.  Finally something we might be able to agree upon and have a great discussion.  I said is it one of the new Predator models and in which caliber did he want.  He said no way you don't want a bolt action for hogs! To which I replied I don't...what have I been thinking all these decades!  He said Ruger just came out the new 9mm PC Carbine and with open sights and it's the new ultimate in hog hunting rifles.  I sat there thinking he was totally off his rocker but knew he was dead serious.  I was waiting for the judges to give me perfect 10's on my quadruple eye socket back flips.  

I responded with why open sights and not a scope.  Better control when shooting them at night.  I said do the sights glow like the Trijicon sights on my .45 ACP.  He didn't know.  I was waiting for my wife to kick me for even attempting a quadruple eye socket back flip.  In stead I just nodded my head with him the rest of the night and weekend, mainly in total disbelief at some of the stuff he came up with!

Should I cancel my order for the new Left-handed Predator I ordered in 6.5 creed for the new 9mm carbine?  
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Next time add a full spin with your quadruple eye socket back flip! For extra style points.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Im seldom bothered by people that profess knowledge and experience they're obviously lacking when Im well aware that the interaction is temporary and meaningless.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 7,827 Senior Member
    That's why I like it here!! The idiots get weeded out quick!!

But I know the type all to well
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #5
    Im seldom bothered by people that profess knowledge and experience they're obviously lacking when Im well aware that the interaction is temporary and meaningless.
    You're a very cool dude early. I dont have patience with idiots. You tell me your opinion, I'll tell you mine, and if we don't agree, we'll agree to disagree and move on. But I don't have patients with idiots in person.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I'd say the wife owes you a weekend of peace.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    You're a very cool dude early. I dont have patience with idiots. You tell me your opinion, I'll tell you mine, and if we don't agree, we'll agree to disagree and move on. But I don't have patients with idiots in person.
    Its become easy for me to tolerate most people that aren't intending me harm. There are sometimes exceptions but they're rare.
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,534 Senior Member

Well I don't know about them Long Horns keeping the Angus in place...I've heard Long Horns will jump a fence or two.

Disclaimer - the most I know about cattle is it is where I get my meat from.

"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #9
    Sounds like he is a bona fide  Bull-Slinger to me. Usually harmless unless somebody actually believes them and acts on their stupidity.

Just put on some wading boots next time he comes over..........and when he ask why, tell him it's gettin deep...............

**** BS animated emoticon    

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Sounds like he is a bona fide  Bull-Slinger to me. Usually harmless unless somebody actually believes them and acts on their stupidity.

Just put on some wading boots next time he comes over..........and when he ask why, tell him it's gettin deep...............

**** BS animated emoticon    

Good one
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Some of my best friends are bullshiters. I don't embarrass them, unless they try to make me back up their stories. They figure it out after a few years and when they actually want a conversation, they start it by asking what I think, rather than just telling me 'how it is.'
    Biggest BSer I know is from Texas..........he is a big tournament fisherman and his stories grow each time he tells them, they are as big as Texas. The exaggerations spill over into all his conversations, as well.

But he has heart as big as Texas and would give you the shirt off his back. One of those guys you know it's coming when he starts talking. The embarrassing part is when I was out and about with him and he starts talking to folks that don't know him and his ways, you kinda wanna hide ................in spite of all that I like him and he is a good friend. Hard to explain. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    I have to admit I like the BS conversations. Usually I will join right in & see if I can add to there story with a whopper even bigger than what they just said. If called on it I tell them I didn't want them to think they were the only one that could BS.
    I know that if the longhorns are facing south the Angus will tend to jump more. And iron sights are way better at night for hog hunting because the moon doesn't reflect off the scope & scare them away! See BS is easy if you want to kill some time ,learn nothing & have a few chuckles.
    Yeah, I have been quilty of that, too. I have a BIL that is such good liar, and jovial, too, that I sometimes throw in with him, just for fun. But, I never call BS on him, because he is a phenomenal hunter and shoots unbelievably well, considering that he breaks nearly every shooting fundamental ever invented. I have cringed a few times when he was instructing a newbie, who did not have his natural ability, but I've seen him make some shots that I would have bet the ranch he couldn't do.
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    I see the difference that Jeff is making here. There are miles between a guy who tells a story with some “enhancements” thrown in for a better story and a guy that is just ass ignorant trying to treat you like a chimney. 

I have come from a long line of folks that are very adept at using story enhancements. Sometimes these enhancements are used just to make the story better and sometimes just to amuse myself. It all depends on who is being told the story. 

I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    So, IOW he can hit the Bullseye with his BS? Now that is a rarity.    
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Heck, my late father was the best BS artist I've ever seen, and I've met the world's best. He could stand there and tell you the sky was green with pink and purple polka dots, and you'd believe him! He carried on a couple of BS stories literally for *years* with the guys he worked with - he owned a turkey ranch and was married to a 300 lb black woman. As he worked about 85 miles from home, it was a number of years before the stories fell apart.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,054 Senior Member
    The problem is he's not trying to BS or enhance a story, it how he is, all knowing about everything.  I find myself instinctively getting up and going to work on projects here and there to get away from it.Now, he'll tell you he's the best fisherman and should be on the tour.  Dang if he didn't go down to my tank (pond for those of you outside of Texas) and catch a 21.5" 5 lb big mouth bass on his first cast.  We've caught a couple 3 and 4 lb bass but never one that size.  It's all we heard all weekend, though he never caught another fish as hard as he was trying.  He brought this special catfish bait guaranteed catch on every cast.  Never got a nibble.  Then he said he knew what the problem was and the fish were spawning and would go after lures or bait.  

The irony of all this, he brings he open sights mini 14.  We get on some hogs under one of the feeders with the green flood lights on.  I could see them clearly in my scope as well as make out my crosshairs.  He couldn't see his open sights and kept walking closer.  He got too close and got busted.  Then he had all these excuses as to why he got busted.  Never did hunting with open sights that don't glow at night factor into the equation.  Everything but the obvious.  The good thing hopefully it will be another 6 months or more before he comes out.  BTW his wife is a wonderful person!

I did learn something from all this.  My scoped bolt actions rifles are still the bees knees for hunting hogs at night! :DB)
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    I already knew he wasn't a hog hunter, when he said he was going to buy a 9mm carbine for it. I want one of those carbines, but every other center fire rifle I own is better for hog hunting. Even a .45 ACP round has to be very well placed to kill an average sized feral hog. A Mini-14 is a better choice, but still not a very good one.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Precisely why I've made it a point to be an ass in the beginning. The wife is afraid to invite people over. 
    So much left unsaid.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #21
    cpj said:
     really means " he's an ass hole but you'll learn to tolerate him."
    Or not?
    snake284 said:
    Its become easy for me to tolerate most people that aren't intending me harm. There are sometimes exceptions but they're rare.
    I've never met you in person, but just from what I see here and hear others say, I think you are a good solid citizen Early. You have it figured out.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj said:
    I feel 'ya brother.  I have sat patiently for hours trying to be friendly to someone I was told "I know you are going to like him." just because it meant something to my wife or like you said,  the wife was wonderful and hubby was a total ass. My favorites are the ones that launch into an hour long verbal dump of barely linked stories and after you patiently wait your turn to speak they interrupt you in mid sentence after just a few words only to start another endless verbal dump...
    My wife is at least smart enough to not try that crap with me. But, she also knows me. I'm the poster child for  a meme that's going around. 
    "Once you get to know him, you'll like him", really means " he's an ass hole but you'll learn to tolerate him."
    Meh, I have learned the art of blankly staring at someone and nodding at the right times while mentally I'm on the beach in the Bahamas...  It's like a Zen skill. 
    Get me a ticket on your imaginary plane to the imaginary beach, I need it sometimes. I wish I knew where to book that vacation. LOL!

I look into the eyes of Mr. BS and want to strangle him. I hate somebody that has such an imagination to believe he can BS me that easy with stupid fairy tales.  Had a guy tell me how he shoots deer out to 700 yards with his .30-30 regularly, and expected me to sit there and swallow that mularky with a straight face. My Moron alarm went off big time. I can't deal with people that stupid! I mean the guy knew I was a long time hunter, if he knew anything at all about hunting he had to know that an experienced hunter and shooter would know better. Hell I don't think even if I had great Binoculars and a quality range finder won't even consider that shot with my 7 Mag. I just can't take someone insulting my intelligence.

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,952 Senior Member

I had an ex brother in law that would rattle on incessantly about damn near anything.  He was a welder by trade, and could talk for hours about welding, which I found about as interesting as watching paint dry.  He also like to hunt, and would go on and on about that, too.  Sometimes he would take a breath, and I would seize the opportunity to offer a thought.  If was as if I had not said a word.  He would pick right back up where he left off and totally ignore me.

I wasn't sad when my sister in law dumped him.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    edited March 2018 #25
    snake284 said:  Had a guy tell me how he shoots deer out to 700 yards with his .30-30 regularly, and expected me to sit there and swallow that mularky with a straight face.
    Why heck naw, I wouldn't believe him neither.....now if he had said a .270, you would have thought on it a spell, I know.

Ugly Man Laugh animated emoticon     Red Neck Laughing animated emoticon
    The problem is he's not trying to BS or enhance a story, it how he is, all knowing about everything.  I find myself instinctively getting up and going to work on projects here and there to get away from it.Now, he'll tell you he's the best fisherman and should be on the tour.  Dang if he didn't go down to my tank (pond for those of you outside of Texas) and catch a 21.5" 5 lb big mouth bass on his first cast.  We've caught a couple 3 and 4 lb bass but never one that size.  It's all we heard all weekend, though he never caught another fish as hard as he was trying.  He brought this special catfish bait guaranteed catch on every cast.  Never got a nibble.  Then he said he knew what the problem was and the fish were spawning and would go after lures or bait.  

The irony of all this, he brings he open sights mini 14.  We get on some hogs under one of the feeders with the green flood lights on.  I could see them clearly in my scope as well as make out my crosshairs.  He couldn't see his open sights and kept walking closer.  He got too close and got busted.  Then he had all these excuses as to why he got busted.  Never did hunting with open sights that don't glow at night factor into the equation.  Everything but the obvious.  The good thing hopefully it will be another 6 months or more before he comes out.  BTW his wife is a wonderful person!

I did learn something from all this.  My scoped bolt actions rifles are still the bees knees for hunting hogs at night! :DB)
    Just a few examples of the different people we all seem to know that are so much alike.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Reminds me of a book by a Southern author I have, the title of which is "The First Liar Hasn't Got a Chance". It describes what all y'all are saying, but is pretty humorous. Been out of print for years.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 1,057 Senior Member
    Nothing worse than meeting a genuinely nice person that you have a good conversation with until they start off on supporting gun control and turn into a diehard liberal. That’ll make me walk off without notice.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,671 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #29
    I could listen to people rattle on in two ways: one of which would be a person that is truly knowledgeable about whatever subject that is being discussed, or someone that can enhance a story with comedy or targeted exaggeration to make it interesting or entertaining. I have laughed my ass off with some people that I knew were making some of it up but the comedy made it more than tolerable. Someone that continually spouts crap about something that is total BS is not only boring, but really annoying. The ones that really piss me off are the ones that think their opinions or their version of the 'facts' are the universal truth, and no other is valid. There are one or two around here that fit that category.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    Just had a guy at work tell me a couple weeks ago that the Taurus Judge was the ultimate HD weapon. The new .410 PD rounds would take down the Terminator......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    There are so many of those types out there .........for that reason I never let them bother me much at all. Why walk around all day mad at an idiot. The ones that get me going are the ones that steal. Every few months I have at least on stealing from me & trying to BS there way out of it. ( that doesn't work with me at all ) Those lucky ones get to see how poopie I can really get.