New National Security Advisor

Wambli SkaWambli Ska ModeratorPosts: 27,036 Senior Member
John Bolton will be with President Trump as he addresses the issues in North Korea.  I like him and he has shown himself to be an “America First” proponent through his whole political career.  Thoughts?
"Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,281 Senior Member
    Bolton is a war hawk, and that is neither good nor bad. He is strong on defense, and not taking 'smack talk' from twisted little dictators and terrorists. He scares the poo out of the Left and the RINOs, too. Things are about to get interesting.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,232 Senior Member
    I never trusted McMaster,I always thought of him as a swamp creature. I agree Bolton is more in the trump camp.
    Just in time for the "rocket man" meeting
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,987 Senior Member
    The New York Times says we should fear him.  It is said he will clean house and rebuild his staff when he takes over. Marco Rubio says the scared comments are unfounded and should be ignored.
    Sounds OK to me, but honestly know little about him
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,662 Senior Member
    I have liked him since he worked in the Bush admin State Department, and even more after he has appeared many times on FOX news. He seems to have an excellent grasp on National Security and Diplomatic issues.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,488 Senior Member
    Bolton worked for Jesse Helms and Barry Goldwater. I'm not sure we need someone who shares those views as someone sitting in the NSA seat. The problem with burning bridges is that you have to know how to swim.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,071 Senior Member
    I am willing to wait and see. I'm generally not a fan, but it's possible he will be the right guy at the right time on NK. It may actually help having people in power who are just crazy enough that NK believes we're willing to go to war. That gives us more negotiating power as long as they don't actually push us into a stupid war. Which of course is the big risk and why a lot of people hate him. 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    The more of the swamp rats who get their walking papers the better, so if Bolton does indeed clean house on as many lead-butt bureaucrats as possible he will be accomplishing something.  One reason we haven't won a war since 1945 is that the politicians and bureaucrats have to undergo castration before they're allowed to participate in the game.  It's high time somebody in the Washington swamp grows a pair of balls! 
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,112 Senior Member
    I think he is the right man for the NK and Iran confrontations to come, because he will help precipitate a resolution to them, rather than kicking the can down the road. I don't want a Democrat at the helm when both of these dictatorships have perfected nuclear tipped ICBMs...or a milquetoast Republican, either, for that matter. This is an existential threat that we cannot afford to avoid, without paying very dearly. Both of these geopolitical confrontations to come are heavily invested in by China and Russia...both of whom view appeasement as a surrender to their will (which it is).

If the above problems achieve successful resolution, without nuclear exchanges or a crushing land war, Trump will fire Bolton, or move him, as soon as someone comes along that is better suited to solving the next problem. I do hope that he is there for long enough to clear out the rest of the Obama people, or at least the ones who won't commit to being as apolitical as possible. We don't need ideological or political zealots doing that kind of work. Loyal Americans will suffice.

I believe that Bolton is a realist, and we need realists to be able to engage with our hardball-playing enemies. He will be an excellent advisor to Pompeo and Mattis, because he understands the 'realpolitik' approach to foreign policy that governs both Russia and China.

Bolton may be an anachronism, but so was George Patton, and he was exactly what was needed to deal with our enemies. Brinkmanship is the name of this game, and both China and Russia will believe what Trump says, knowing that he is being advised by this trio (Pompeo, Mattis, Bolton).
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,036 Senior Member
    So the consensus seem to be he is the right guy for the time.  I agree that we need a show of unity at the highest ranks of the administration, specially when dealing with the likes of "Rocket Man".  Little Kim should loose some sleep wondering if the top USA guys are kinda hoping he'll screw up so he can become a global example as we move Korea to the "Won" column.  Maybe this time HE should bring a little notebook to the meeting...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member

Maybe Kim needs to hire a good psychic so he can ask Saddam Hussein and Muammar Quaddaffi how it feels to push Uncle Sam too far.

Jerry

Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,281 Senior Member
    Iran came out as not liking the Bolton appointment. That right there is a good sign. And IF Bolton will clean out the Obama deadwood leakers of things that shouldn't be leaked, then that will also be good. Throwing the leakers out the front door and naming them traitors would be a good start, anyway.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

McMaster was not an Obama pick. And, I am surprised he lasted as long as he did with not being an Obama General.

The problem with the anachronisms is that they do not understand the world as it is, or as it will be. they understand the world as it was. I don't Patton was an Anachronism. Brute force was required for WWII, and it was not out of place.

If you think that China, Russia, and Iran are going to come at us head on, you are wrong. All three of those players learned from President Reagan that it is the behind scene plays and manipulations that force Nations to do what you want them to do. Reagan very plainly stated in NSDD 32 the United States would influence every Social, political, and economic decision the USSR made. And we did. If you have not been paying attention, Russia and China have been doing this. They have been doing it very successfully. We can't afford to stand up and shake the big stick like we could in the middle of the 20th Century. We don't have a big stick shake anymore. At this point in the game, we are dang near exactly where the USSR was in the early 80's.

Bolton may be a loyal American, but I question which America he is loyal to. Remember everyone thought Bremer was the guy for Iraq, after all he came up under Kissinger....

"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,645 Senior Member
    I have no idea of what a Security Advisor's role is, of if Bolton is a good one or a bad one.  However, NK and Iran are only momentary issues.  The rest of the world should be a consideration in choosing a NSA, in my opinion.  He's hawkish on Russia, and I don't know about China.  Fact is, we have few (or zero) existential threats, only bumps in the road. I hope he works out; I was pretty happy with McMasters.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06

...If you think that China, Russia, and Iran are going to come at us head on, you are wrong. All three of those players learned from President Reagan that it is the behind scene plays and manipulations that force Nations to do what you want them to do. Reagan very plainly stated in NSDD 32 the United States would influence every Social, political, and economic decision the USSR made. And we did. If you have not been paying attention, Russia and China have been doing this. They have been doing it very successfully. We can't afford to stand up and shake the big stick like we could in the middle of the 20th Century. We don't have a big stick shake anymore. At this point in the game, we are dang near exactly where the USSR was in the early 80's.

For all of those behind the scenes manipulations to work, you have to have a military capability that lends credibility to your rhetoric. You can only run a bluff if your nemesis is uncertain as to whether or not you are bluffing. The Soviets invented this strategy, and the Chinese learned it quickly, once they ridded themselves of Mao Tze Tung.

I don't think McMasters was replaced because he was wrong. I think he was replaced because Trump wanted a chest-thumping politician in that job that would help him to be convincing in negotiations with China and Russia, about NK, and Iran. Mattis and Kelly did not resign and were not fired, so apparently they don't completely disagree.

McMaster was let go because he and Trump did not see eye to eye on more and more, everyday...Or so that is the story I heard. But, to be honest, I don't think McMaster was the right guy either. He is a very smart man, but he is a academic. He understands COIN real well, but I don't think he understands the world as a whole or the Russian mindset.

In the 80's under the Reagan era, we didn't use the military to back up anything other than yearly rotational exercises to Europe (REFORGER). What we did do was influence trade, influence diplomatic relations, and spread the "western culture" of the US to the eastern bloc and Mother Russia. All while pulling the soviets deeper and deeper into Afghanistan and a few other places (central America, the middle east, etc). If you look at how we are positioned on the map, we are spread pretty darn thin with a lot of the economy wrapped up in the military and intelligence industrial complexes. We are spread so thin that the national guard is now used as rotational units to different theaters of operation, they are no longer the reserve militia of the country. Russia has pulled us deeper into Syria, is supplying at least one faction in Afghanistan, and has pulled us deep into Europe. The Chinese are keeping us wrapped up in the pacific and continue to pull the strings of our economy. We are at a tipping point that we can't get out of with force. Trust me when I tell, We simply don't have the force to do it. Russia knows it.

In a National Security Advisor, we need someone that can look at all the pieces we have on the board, in comparison to the other side of the table, and know what needs to be done to keep all National Interests Secure. He should be the behind the scenes guy that work with the Intel community to determine how to best advise the President, JCS, and COCOMs. He should not be a chest thumper.

From the White House email brief this morning:

Why John Bolton is the right choice 

Commentators agree that by appointing John Bolton to be the next National Security Advisor (NSA), President Trump has made an excellent choice to confront the challenges of a dangerous world and build on the accomplishments of outgoing NSA H.R. McMaster. 

In their words, here are just a few of the reasons why: 

• “We may assume Pyongyang knows now that bluffing the U.S. won’t work.” – The Wall Street Journal Editorial Board 
    • “On the U.N. he’s been right all along. If his presence in the White House helps to scare the organization into real reform, so much the better.” – The New York Times’ Bret Stephens 
    • “He’s squarely in the mainstream of conservative foreign-policy thought.” – David French, The National Review
    • “Enough with the John Bolton smears — he’ll be the best National Security Adviser in a generation.” – Michael Rubin of the American Enterprise Institute

Enzo, I would say those first bullet points are issues and trademarks I want to see in the Secretary of State.

If I was allowed to pick, I would have promoted Pompeo to be the NSA.

I agree that those traits would be VERY welcome/appropriate in a Secretary of state more than an NSA but I'm willing to take them across the board.  Maybe he can work to re-target the secret squirrels to chase after the true enemies of the state and not waste their time on nonsense politically driven goose chases?
    I think Bolton makes sense if you look at NSA/CIA/SecDef/Secretary of State as being united as the driving forces in foreign policy. I think Trump will have to come up with a different CIA director, eventually, because the Democrats in the Senate will use Gina Haspel as the 'whipping boy,' rather than Pompeo, who has already passed one recent Senate vetting process. Haspel has, too, to a lesser degree, but she is an easier target for a media circus that won't bother to mention that she has already justified, to the Senate, her part in the waterboarding that was used to good effect, immediately after 9-11.