Doing Taxes SUCKS

2»

Replies

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,671 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Last time we paid it
    was $100. 
    Now my MIL does them for free. 
    If you're talking about the software, the price depends on the version of it...personal or business, but nothing beats free.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    edited March 2018 #33
    zorba said:
    I'm quite sure it is easy. Trouble is I'd be very surprised if it covered our complicated tax situation - esp. with what happened taxwise in '17. Its so weird this year, that the gal at the "venerable old accounting firm" told me she was going to have a "senior partner" look it over to make sure *she* got it right!
    It all boils down to income minus expenses and other deductions, and the software tells you what is deductible and what's not. I find it hard to believe that these programs can't figure out what your taxes would be if you can input the information correctly, but it's your choice. You should try to get someone that has the program to lend it to you. Do your own taxes before you go to the accountant, and then compare the results. You don't have anything to lose. You could even borrow the program, and use it to figure out a previous years' taxes and compare that to the one that the accountant did.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    DIY Tax preparation ain't fer everyone.............but I haven't seen long lines at them little booths at Walmart where companies set up fer tax season like I used to.

A trend, I dunno. Maybe mo folks is are using the at home stuff???

Course the procrastinators will be in line in mid April.

I've seen a joint out the gate at Redstone Arsenal in Huntsville and other towns that pays somebody to stand at intersections wearing a Statue of Liberty costume for some company trying to bring the business in.

Sorta like 'Eat At Joe's'   
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I'm just glad it's over for me until next year......like being constipated and finally dropping a long Torpedo after a couple days of not being able to!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,667 Senior Member
    Maybe in a couple of years, things should be simpler then. Its such a mess this year that I didn't even switch to a Florida accounting firm, I'm still using the California outfit.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,862 Senior Member

I agree with MMD.  The first time I filed income taxes, I paid someone to do it and, at least in my situation, it was a waste of money.  After that, I started going to the post office to get the books and forms every year and did my own on paper until these fancy interwebs became the primary choice.  I do mine on H&R block on line.  Like MMD said, once you input your info the first time, it will transfer over all the info from the previous year and you basically just have to update it.  Heck the last couple of years, all you have to do is take a picture of your W2 and upload it and that, combined with previous tax year info, gets you a good 80% done before you've even started.  Plus, since I have state taxes, it automatically transfers all the info over to the state taxes.  And when I'm done, it efiles the fed and state for me and I generally get my refund direct deposited to my bank account within a couple of weeks.

Put it this way.  My dad sends his taxes to a woman who I used to work with.  She worked for H&R Block before we worked together. My dad has property, farm expenses and regular annual salary from his job, as well as the added complication of still being married to a woman he has been separated from for nearly 10 years. She charges $100 to do taxes and gets a lot of friends and family paying her to do it every year.  Pretty cheap, really.  She uses TurboTax to do everyone's taxes and makes a couple thousand dollars a year doing it. 

zorba said:
    Maybe in a couple of years, things should be simpler then. Its such a mess this year that I didn't even switch to a Florida accounting firm, I'm still using the California outfit.
    I think you will be happy with doing it that way.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT: