Home Main Category Clubhouse

Today is Vietnam Veterans Day.

earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
Just saw it on the news. Last year March 29 was the first one.

All you guys on the boards here, thankyou for your service and sacrifice, and welcome home.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    Was on Base at a function-----nobody seems to care.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    The fellow SEA vets I encounter understand- - - -very few others seem to care.  I'm pretty sure those who came before and after us have experienced the same apathy and/or downright hostility from the majority of people.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,398 Senior Member
    Anyone going to Washington, D.C. should go to the war memorials. The Wall is one that you can't view without a heavy feeling of loss. It's ALL THOSE NAMES just stretching out that grab your attention and make you think. And I knew a few of them.

Korean War vets didn't get much in the way of a homecoming, either. Their War Memorial was only put up in 1995, over 40 years after the cease fire. That's a sad commentary on the country, or rather the ungrateful who didn't care.

Good to see the veterans from the sandbox are getting some thanks and respect, though. Not from everybody, but from those that matter. That would NOT include their government, though; the VA and the VA hospitals are continuing to screw veterans of all wars.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,671 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    ............................That would NOT include their government, though; the VA and the VA hospitals are continuing to screw veterans of all wars.
    I think Trump is trying to do something that changes this situation.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,659 Senior Member
    When we were at the Vietnam memorial a couple years ago there were two teenage girls walking along the wall, they stopped and one picked up a flag that had fallen over and placed it back upright. As she did this she looked up at me and said " can you imagine how much they could have done". Still tear up over that. We were standing in front of the name of a good friend of mine.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #7
    I've only read a couple books about the conflict, but they exampled among the most talented, brightest, and bravest individuals I've ever read about.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,636 Senior Member
    Thanks to all of you that are still with us, I just had a patient that was a VN Marine vet pass away, I was amazed that I could even help the guy feel as good as he did after I worked on him, the effects of agent orange finally caught up with him, quite the man.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11