Home Main Category Clubhouse

Thought This Was A Bass At First.

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,395 Senior Member
Ultra light rod and 1" Gulp minnow on a 1/64th oz jig head. 14" and feisty. 
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,395 Senior Member
    It's a crappie. Some say it's the best tasting fresh water fish there is. I'm not sure about that, but normally, we tend to be really happy if we catch a 10" specimen. I caught another the next cast, but it was only a measly 12". I let 'em both go coz the bite stopped and the wind was biting worse than the fish. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Bet you were smiling happy.

A good fillet knife woulda made a nice breakfast.🍳
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member

Crappie is the best eating fresh water fish I've ever eaten.  Walleye is supposed to be as good or better, but the only walleye I've ever had was so doctored up it could have been cardboard.

Good catch!

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    Fishing from the bank. Both fish were within 10 feet of shore. Those gulp minnows are killers. 
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,958 Senior Member

I like to dredge the fillets in a mixture of half corn meal and half flour, with salt and pepper to taste.  Drop them in oil hot enough to light a match (I've seen it done.  Really).  As soon as the fillets pop up to the surface, remove them.

Drain them on a paper towel and let them cool enough to eat, and dig in.

You'll throw rocks at the next person who offers you fish cooked any other way.  :)

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,400 Senior Member
    Crappie are getting ganged up ready for the spawn down here. That is a NICE crappie, and a 12" one is nothing to sneeze at, either! Great eating fish! Only thing I like better is Sauger(walleye cousin).
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,717 Senior Member
    Nice one anyway, hey
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    When they are schooling a mylar minnow on a fly rod is just stupid fun...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,098 Senior Member
    From the looks of it, it's a white crappie. There's also a black crappie.

They are my favorite fish to eat
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,051 Senior Member
    I had a home on Lake D'arbonne in Louisiana. It was the premier "white perch" (aka crappie) lake in the state. I've caught them at two pounds on a cane pole, but the really big ones happen at night in the dead of winter on yo-yo's. The sporting part of that method is keeping the turtles and raccoons off the bait.
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    I love crappie, which in LA are called sacaulait.  White crappie...I agree that one looks a little dark, but it's been so long I can't remember.  A 12" crappie is fun to catch on a light rod and they'll fight and turn sideways for a little and then give it up...that's on a 5wt rod with a heavyish tippet...like a 4x.  I usually catch them when fishing for bass.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,744 Senior Member
    Sac au lait is French for Bag of Milk.  Love them deep fried.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    For the first fish of the year, I'll take it. Snow yesterday on Easter! My kayaks are gathering dust! 

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    They call them crappie or white perch in my neck of the woods, and they are definitely my favorite local fish to eat. I had some for lunch on Saturday at an Easter cookout, along with my second favorite, whole catfish (not filleted, about 1/2 to 1 pound each). Both were deep fried in cornmeal and peanut oil, of course, with an onion and lemon juice. I don't eat the french fries or hush puppies, or any of the other trimmings, when there are plenty of fish.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,860 Senior Member
    Nice slab! Tasty!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain