Deer Head vs. .50cal BMG

2»

Replies

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,686 Senior Member
    Way to burst my bubble, I thought I wanted a .50 cal, not now;)
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,718 Senior Member
    I thought there would be a lot more damage
    But science proved my way of thinking wrong
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,679 Senior Member
    Nonsense, the magical .50 cal vaporizes everything in its path that doesn't implode before the bullet even arrives out of fear. 

Not sure why folks think that bullet, regardless of mass, is going to perform any differently than other similar bullet designs. Now, load up some flavor of .50 hollow point and that should make a mess as would any other HP.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,015 Senior Member
    edited April 3 #35
    I really thought that the hits to the head would have done a little more damage than that. I've seen quite a few pics of bodies and livestock hit by .50's in Vietnam and while not catastrophic, there were golfball to baseball sized holes in most of the things hit.
    Yeah, but what you were witnessing in Vietnam, were most likely Military rounds. There seems to be some difference in the Military and the A-Max. But I would have thought the A-Max would be a bit more frangible than the military unless the Military rounds were some kind of specialty round.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,330 Senior Member
    :facepalm:
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    Thanks for your dedication to 'science' Zee. I 'like'' this thread.

Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,593 Senior Member
    Interesting science project. I'd have expected a little more damage, but not much more, from the bullet given the diameter. The A-max bullet in .50 cal. is a pretty heavily jacketed bullet. Basically a high speed half inch drill bit.

Regarding the rifle you're shooting, if it's giving you a headache, and the headache is from whiplash from recoil, may I suggest a more substantial and efficient brake? :smile:

SNAKE, military ball round (black tip) has a steel core inside a heavy gilding metal jacket with a really tiny amount of lead in the tip. They don't expand, AT ALL, unless they hit something made of armor. The M-2 armor piercing ball ammo is constructed like this. The M-2 ball lead core antipersonnel ammo doesn't expand on flesh, either. FMJ isn't really designed to expand, anyway.
    Here's a pic of the M-2 Armor piercing bullet I cut in half to show construction several years ago. Guess the loaded round for bonus points. :)

If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,330 Senior Member
    The Barrett has a better brake but crappy accuracy. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
2»