What guns y'all gonna bring toe the SE Shoot?

24

Replies

  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,364 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    zorba said:
    I'm not sure yet, although I "should" have a "shiny new" M1 Garand picked up the day before the shoot. Thinking of bringing my CVA Optima V2, maybe the CZ-75BD as well, since I'll have a steel target to shoot at with it. I know CPJ is itching to shoot my new "Ghetto Blaster" (Hi-Point $100 bill pistol), and we'll see who can handle the muzzle blast and recoil of the awesome NAA .22s revolver! Gonna bring a folding table, chair and rifle rest to "try" to hit the 100 yard gong with the Garand, just need to figure out how I'm going to get all that crap up to the firing line - the old MBZ would get stuck or high centered for sure! Meh, maybe I'll bring the Mark III as well, its just so much fun to shoot.

    I'd love to try your Mosin, not that I'll be able to hit anything with it!


    Now you got me wondering if I should bring one of my Garands. I have a little ammo. I might as well. I've got two. One is a cherry Springfield 1944 year model with a solid walnut stock. That one actually belongs to my youngest son. Then I've got a Winchester Receiver 1942 original manufacture.  I know it's been arsenal overhauled. It has a birch but stock and a walnut for end. I refinished the Winchester Garand wood but the Springfield is in original condition. Only problem, when you load the Springfield you have to load the left side first and the right side top is the first to be stripped off. If you load it the other way it jams. The Winchester is ambidextrous. Either one with Milsurp ammo will do a 3" group at 100 yards. That's close enough for me. It isn't quite as purdy as the Springfield, but I'm leaning toward the Winchester.

    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,364 Senior Member
    edited April 4 #33
    Also, my .270 will be sporting a new scope. I've mounted a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40 on it. The 7x57 will get the Redfield that's on the .270 now. It's also 4-12x40. But the VX-2 has side parallex adjustment.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,877 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Big Al1 said:
    I can bring a carbine! Let me know.
    No you can't, they're not 100 years old :p LOL

    I'd make an exception in this case, but I know you'd rather play with the Johnson!!:)
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,938 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Also, my .270 will be sporting a new scope. I've mounted a Leupold VX-2 4-12x40 on it. The 7x57 will get the Redfield that's on the .270 now. It's also 4-12x40. But the VX-2 has side parallex adjustment.
    "Scope"? As in "MicroScope"?

    Sorry...

    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,938 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Now you got me wondering if I should bring one of my Garands. I have a little ammo. I might as well. I've got two. One is a cherry Springfield 1944 year model with a solid walnut stock. That one actually belongs to my youngest son. Then I've got a Winchester Receiver 1942 original manufacture.  I know it's been arsenal overhauled. It has a birch but stock and a walnut for end. I refinished the Winchester Garand wood but the Springfield is in original condition. Only problem, when you load the Springfield you have to load the left side first and the right side top is the first to be stripped off. If you load it the other way it jams. The Winchester is ambidextrous. Either one with Milsurp ammo will do a 3" group at 100 yards. That's close enough for me.
    I'll be lucky to hit the broad side of a barn at that range with anything less than CPJ's rest and a good scope - but I'd have fun trying anyway. Might be fun to compare yours with mine (assuming something doesn't go wrong and I fail to acquire).
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,170 Senior Member
    My "Mom and Pop" LGS sold late last year. The new owners aren't nearly as nice. That's where I'm 'on a list' for the new Ruger 9mm carbine. IF those clowns ever get one in and call me, and don't serve their friends first, I'll be bringing the carbine. I'm not holding my breath, though. The young guy that is there most of the time is beginning to make me see him as an anus chapeau extraordinaire.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!



  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,364 Senior Member
    Mine sold out about 6 years back. He was an old retired Navy who set up business in Victoria for about 20 years. I miss him. The guy's that bought him out didn't have a clue. They were a gun show tour I think. They didn't last two years.

    Then my second favorite was just down the street. I bought a lot from them, usually things that Don, the first guy,  didn't stock or was out of. They sold out and the guy that took over is pretty good. He is now my number one. When your FLGS goes down, it's almost as bad as your old barber dying. Creates a few life changing situations, LOL!!!
     
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,501 Senior Member
    I guess I need new boots to keep my toes in line.
    This message has been deleted
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,254 Senior Member
    NN said:
    I guess I need new boots to keep my toes in line.
    You gonna get a new HAT also?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    edited April 4 #41
    tennmike said:
    My "Mom and Pop" LGS sold late last year. The new owners aren't nearly as nice. That's where I'm 'on a list' for the new Ruger 9mm carbine. IF those clowns ever get one in and call me, and don't serve their friends first, I'll be bringing the carbine. I'm not holding my breath, though. The young guy that is there most of the time is beginning to make me see him as an anus chapeau extraordinaire.
    Ruger days at Larry's this week.  He has some, drive down.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,170 Senior Member
    I'm not up for a 4 hour drive just to find out that the rifle I drove down there for is sold out when I get there.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!



  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 39,161 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    I'm not up for a 4 hour drive just to find out that the rifle I drove down there for is sold out when I get there.
    Bet you could call and have one put back. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,501 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    NN said:
    I guess I need new boots to keep my toes in line.
    You gonna get a new HAT also?

    No, I have an old cloth one
    This message has been deleted
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    edited April 5 #45
    tennmike said:
    I'm not up for a 4 hour drive just to find out that the rifle I drove down there for is sold out when I get there.
    I could put one on layaway for you.  I think it 25% down.  You could pick it up at your leisure.

    Or would that be a straw layaway?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,393 Senior Member
    BAMAAK said:
    ll probably bring my slicked up ubertti 1873. 


    If I can get it running properly, I hope to bring my original Winchester 1873. I've got a bullet mold and 500 44-40 cases.

    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,170 Senior Member
    BAMAAK said:
    tennmike said:
    I'm not up for a 4 hour drive just to find out that the rifle I drove down there for is sold out when I get there.
    I could put one on layaway for you.  I think it 25% down.  You could pick it up at your leisure.

    Or would that be a straw layaway?
    That would fall into a REALLY gray area. We'd both be in some deep stuff over that if someone at that alphabet soup agency wanted to push it.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!



  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,548 Senior Member
    I got the Sig. Told the LGS I still wanted the Ruger
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,620 Senior Member
    Hard to beat a Ruger LC9s fer the money. It may not be a top of heap 9mm carry pistol, but works great, good trigger and very reliable.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    BAMAAK said:
    tennmike said:
    I'm not up for a 4 hour drive just to find out that the rifle I drove down there for is sold out when I get there.
    I could put one on layaway for you.  I think it 25% down.  You could pick it up at your leisure.

    Or would that be a straw layaway?
    That would fall into a REALLY gray area. We'd both be in some deep stuff over that if someone at that alphabet soup agency wanted to push it.
    Well he is supposed to have 500 of them sale starts tomorrow.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,199 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    I'd make an exception in this case, but I know you'd rather play with the Johnson!!:)
    Fair enough LOL
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,199 Senior Member
    edited April 5 #52
    tennmike said:
    BAMAAK said:
    tennmike said:
    I'm not up for a 4 hour drive just to find out that the rifle I drove down there for is sold out when I get there.
    I could put one on layaway for you.  I think it 25% down.  You could pick it up at your leisure.

    Or would that be a straw layaway?
    That would fall into a REALLY gray area. We'd both be in some deep stuff over that if someone at that alphabet soup agency wanted to push it.
    I'm not so sure about that, unless you have to fill out a 4473 to put it on layaway.

    It's not "purchased" until the 4473 is filled out, is my understanding anyway.

    But like he said, you can probably call them and let them know you're coming specifically for one and they'll put one back. At least from my dealing with them, I'd expect them to.

    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,170 Senior Member
    I couldn't have come today even if I'd wanted to. Been one of those days. I'll look up their phone # and give them  a call in a bit and see if they'll set one back for me.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!



  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,166 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    BAMAAK said:
    tennmike said:
    I'm not up for a 4 hour drive just to find out that the rifle I drove down there for is sold out when I get there.
    I could put one on layaway for you.  I think it 25% down.  You could pick it up at your leisure.

    Or would that be a straw layaway?
    That would fall into a REALLY gray area. We'd both be in some deep stuff over that if someone at that alphabet soup agency wanted to push it.
    I wouldn't think so. Unless things are done differently there than here the 4473 is not filled out until actual purchase, not when the layaway payment is made.probably be worthy of inquiry anyway.

    Sako 
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    I couldn't have come today even if I'd wanted to. Been one of those days. I'll look up their phone # and give them  a call in a bit and see if they'll set one back for me.
    Bring money for ammo, he's got lots of blems on sale cheap.  17.00 a brick of blazer, 9.00 for 200 mini mags, lots of others.  Meet the CEO of Ruger if you have a mind to.  It's Ruger Days.  Best sale of the year.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 24,170 Senior Member
    BAMAAK said:
    tennmike said:
    I couldn't have come today even if I'd wanted to. Been one of those days. I'll look up their phone # and give them  a call in a bit and see if they'll set one back for me.
    Bring money for ammo, he's got lots of blems on sale cheap.  17.00 a brick of blazer, 9.00 for 200 mini mags, lots of others.  Meet the CEO of Ruger if you have a mind to.  It's Ruger Days.  Best sale of the year.
    Maybe I'll mosey down that way tomorrow if the poo doesn't hit the fan again like it did today. And if he doesn't have any 9mm carbines left I'll drive back home empty handed.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!



  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,548 Senior Member
    I got the Sig. Told the LGS I still wanted the Ruger

    Thought I posted this last night but it won't go away. Posting anyway. 
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,938 Senior Member
    I've had that happen to me too - post something yet it remains in the editor. *shrug*

    I'd love to try your Sig!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,548 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I've had that happen to me too - post something yet it remains in the editor. *shrug*

    I'd love to try your Sig!

    I will bring it to the shoot. 
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,259 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    BAMAAK said:
    tennmike said:
    I couldn't have come today even if I'd wanted to. Been one of those days. I'll look up their phone # and give them  a call in a bit and see if they'll set one back for me.
    Bring money for ammo, he's got lots of blems on sale cheap.  17.00 a brick of blazer, 9.00 for 200 mini mags, lots of others.  Meet the CEO of Ruger if you have a mind to.  It's Ruger Days.  Best sale of the year.
    Maybe I'll mosey down that way tomorrow if the poo doesn't hit the fan again like it did today. And if he doesn't have any 9mm carbines left I'll drive back home empty handed.
    529.00 and they have plenty
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,938 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I've had that happen to me too - post something yet it remains in the editor. *shrug*

    I'd love to try your Sig!

    I will bring it to the shoot. 
    TOTALLY cool beans!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

    "If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.