The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,264 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    The squirrels are humping in the back yard. Which means the squirrels are having more sex than me. 
    Don't limit yourself.  Everyone is having more sex than you... 😁
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,414 Senior Member
    edited April 9 #28983
    That sucks hind teat Knite. That is some good gun money right there.

Did they otherwise explain/show you the system was old and worn out and needed to be replaced?

9 grand..........man that is steep......I got a new outside unit and upgraded air controller for the garage fer a bit over $3000.  Old one was well over 20 years old. AC/heat bill (electric) dropped significantly after new one.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,255 Senior Member
    cpj said:

Fresh out out of the smoker.  5lbs of hard cider cured, applewood smoked homemade bacon.

dang was that test slice good
    Holy Oh **** that looks delicious. 
    If you have never home cured bacon, do it.  It’s easy, and is just plain awesome.

How did you make that. Looks good.
    And that. You need to start a new thread or bump up the old one. Posting sexy bacon like that.
    I’ll post a new thread here in a little bit
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,045 Senior Member
    Unless you live in some sort of mansion that we didn't know about, $9k for a system is robbery. Getting it replaced if you need it or not sometimes makes sense if it is older, but damn, that is expensive!
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,012 Senior Member
    That's high even for a5 ton spilt system with all new copper. Unless they replaced all the old duct work too. We barely get that for installing a new 5 ton system around here completely from scratch. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member

Wow, that seems like a lot of bucks for an A/C Unit.  Our Lennox system was purchased and installed for under 5K.

They also corrected a small electrical issue.

If that price was way out of line for your area and you were ripped off, contacting your State Attorney Generals office may help

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 417 Member
    Well on top of coming to the shop today to find my workshop flooded, I managed to get that disaster cleaned up. A drain backed up and overflowed my stationary sink with rain water but managed to stay mostly away from the things that a person definitely wouldn’t want getting wet. Oh yeah, also got the guide rod/ejector done on my Mac11 build. One more to go then time to make springs. I hate music wire. Always get slapped or scraped.

• 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 703 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:

Wow, that seems like a lot of bucks for an A/C Unit.  Our Lennox system was purchased and installed for under 5K.

They also corrected a small electrical issue.

If that price was way out of line for your area and you were ripped off, contacting your State Attorney Generals office may help

It really depends on what he got for the money.  My company has some extremely high-end stuff that can easily run 20K installed.  But your power bill drops to a tiny fraction of what it was and you can set temperatures independently in each room.  With that equipment you also have to be close enough to the outside unit to touch it to hear it run.  It is all frequency drive motors and computer controls.

However, in this case, considering all he really needed was a new breaker, I am leaning towards a rip-off, not high-end equipment. 

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,616 Senior Member
    Well on top of coming to the shop today to find my workshop flooded, I managed to get that disaster cleaned up. A drain backed up and overflowed my stationary sink with rain water but managed to stay mostly away from the things that a person definitely wouldn’t want getting wet. Oh yeah, also got the guide rod/ejector done on my Mac11 build. One more to go then time to make springs. I hate music wire. Always get slapped or scraped.

Youtube has some good spring making videos showing jigs that hold the wire at both ends to stop that getting whacked with the wire. I use the 4-way tool post and a couple of pieces of square brass stock to hold the free end of the wire under tension. If you have a 'Machinery's Handbook' handy it has a whole section on winding music wire springs with wire sizes and the required mandrel diameter to make a spring of 'x' diameter.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

I have a machinists handbook and never knew that was in there. I guess I have some new bathroom reading material now. Once I’ve experimented to find the proper size mandrel, I normally chuck it in the lathe and pinch the end of the the music wire in one of the chuck jaws, spin the chuck by hand and guide the wire. Getting it relatively straight BEFORE winding is the pain in the ass part for me.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    This Old Tony on YouTube has a video on spring winding. It's worth a watch. As are all of his videos. He's a funny guy. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Between watching Ave, wranglerstar, Abom, demolitionranch and carsand cameras, I have very little time to subscribe to another YouTuber lol. But I have seen some of his videos. Pretty sharp guy.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,951 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Twice today ive gotten a sales call. First thing the recording says: "DO NOT HANG UP!"
    ummmm, click. 

They called again. They are selling medical braces. ANY brace my insurance will cover as of January 1.  How do I know? That's what the recording said. Has to be right. Anyway, I press 1 to be  connected with someone who will help me. 

"Hello, thanks for calling blah blah medical braces, how can I help you?"

"uhhhh, yeeeeaaaaah. Do you  guys have  dick braces?"

She hung up without answering. And here I am left wondering.  Damnit. 

Nicely done!
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,012 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Twice today ive gotten a sales call. First thing the recording says: "DO NOT HANG UP!"
    ummmm, click. 

They called again. They are selling medical braces. ANY brace my insurance will cover as of January 1.  How do I know? That's what the recording said. Has to be right. Anyway, I press 1 to be  connected with someone who will help me. 

"Hello, thanks for calling blah blah medical braces, how can I help you?"

"uhhhh, yeeeeaaaaah. Do you  guys have  dick braces?"

She hung up without answering. And here I am left wondering.  Damnit. 

Good one..........
    I was honestly a bit disappointed that she hung up. I was in a mood to mess with people. That's ok, I'm sure I'll get another sales call.  
    Zee

Prototype mostly done. Believe it will work. Got some precision angle
    grinder work to do though. 
    Zee
    Iiiiiits beginning to look a lot like **** this! Every where you go! 

Thay cone shape needs to be machined into my barrel in order for the extractor to function. That taper goes RIGHT up to the chamber. There is ZERO fudge room. So, I say fudge it. I'll pic empties out with a screwdriver. But I'll at least get fancy and make a slot and a custom screw driver. I mean, I have SOME class. 
    Zee
    If you wanted to spend a chunk of change, you could get a rotary collet chuck and mill that angle perfect. But I don’t blame you. Nothing wrong with picking them out. You could make a spring loaded ejector that the bolt closes against and retain it and it’s travel with a side pin.
    It was a silly design to begin with. There's hardly any wall thickness. It's obviously safe, but still doesn't mean it's a good idea. Be easy to ding the edge and foul  up the chamber.  I saw one of these rifles other day and that whole cut out  area looked like crap. Not protected at all. 
     I hate to have to pick out the empties, but, I'd hate to re cut, re thread, re chamber a barrel. And it's not a speed gun.  It's a spend an afternoon shooting a box of ammo gun. 
    Zee
    I’ve got a donor barrel from a Remington if you’re interested. Just needs threaded. It’s a 22LR. I don’t reckon I need it for anything.
    Drill 'n' tap a hole in the mandrel. File a shallow slot across the edge of the D 'n' T'd hole. Use a socket head screw and a flat washer to hold the end of the wire.  Proceed to winding that spring! :smiley:
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

cpj said:
    It was a silly design to begin with. There's hardly any wall thickness. It's obviously safe, but still doesn't mean it's a good idea. Be easy to ding the edge and foul  up the chamber.  I saw one of these rifles other day and that whole cut out  area looked like crap. Not protected at all. 
     I hate to have to pick out the empties, but, I'd hate to re cut, re thread, re chamber a barrel. And it's not a speed gun.  It's a spend an afternoon shooting a box of ammo gun. 
    I rectum you forgot about me telling you that that angled part could be put on the barrel "you're going to screw into the receiver" didn't ya! :D

I rectum you forgot about me telling you that that angled part could be put on the barrel "you're going to screw into the receiver" didn't ya! :D
    Nope. Not at all. It makes it a LOT easier to make that cut only doing it on the barrel if one chooses too. But at this very moment, I do not choose too. 
    Zee
    Then you need an angle block and a rotary table to mount on it. Makes it SOOOOOO much easier to do that by taking off 1° of metal at a time.

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    edited April 10 #29007
    That's high even for a5 ton spilt system with all new copper. Unless they replaced all the old duct work too. We barely get that for installing a new 5 ton system around here completely from scratch. 
    4Ton Heat pump and new inside set up too, high static down draft.

Duct work is the only thing not replaced
    Old system was 7 years old
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    edited April 10 #29008
    Just got hit by a storm. Winds up to 140km/k ( about 90mph)
    The carport I park the jeep under just bit the dust.....luckily my mum didnt raise stupid kids cos I parked the jeep under a more substantial structure when I got home. Cant go anywhere until I tear down what remains of the carport............and get my chainsaw out to clear the driveway of trees which succumbed to the high winds.
    Judging by the debris around the place it looks like some of the orchid houses bit the dust. Its midnight and I aint going outside to see how bad the damage is...........best thing to do under the circumstances is drag the bottle of Jim Beam 'Devils Cut' out and lower the level by a couple of fingers until the storm stops. Forecast is for high winds tomorrow as well.

Its officially classed as a cat 2 cyclone.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    Stay safe Alec
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,032 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Stay safe Alec

Yes, be it so
    I have a need for speed
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    NN said:
    knitepoet said:
    Stay safe Alec

Yes, be it so

Most definitely.  Be careful with the clean up, never know what may be under that storm debris
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5