What guns y'all gonna bring toe the SE Shoot?

Replies

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,256 Senior Member
    Mst Larry hornaday at Larry's, very nice guy.  Asked him about short barrel ammo.  He said Critical Defense has faster powder for short barrels, critical duty is for full size.  Asked how come they don't make .22lr, he said to big an investment for very small return.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,281 Senior Member
    BAMAAK said:
    529.00 and they have plenty
    Went down there this morning and picked one up. Good price! 7 hour round trip, though. I'm beat. Rained all the way down and all the way back. And people on the interstate were driving WAY stupid. I was tired out when I rolled into my driveway.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,088 Senior Member
    If anybody wants me to bring my 3" .44 Magnum I will. In fact I'm reloading some Hornady 240 grain jacketed silhouette bullets (have a crimped petals flat nose, I think fer spattering on steel?)  atop 23.0 grains of Win 296 as we speak. Not Max, my Hornady book says 24.5 is. Enough to let you know you touched off a magnum, fer sure.

Anyhow I bought #500 a few years ago on sale, have shot some and gave away some. May as well shoot some of them.

Also, will load some 240 cast SWC poly coated MBC bullets using 10.0 Unique for a more moderate load. Fired some of them the other day.

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    I think I'll bring my .44 Mag. Derringer. A box of 20 rounds ought to be sufficient, as most of the time shooting it will be finding where it flew when it was fired! :smiley:

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,288 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    I think I'll bring my .44 Mag. Derringer. A box of 20 rounds ought to be sufficient, as most of the time shooting it will be finding where it flew when it was fired! :smiley:
    Id like I try it. 

Once. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,987 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    If anybody wants me to bring my 3" .44 Magnum I will. In fact I'm reloading some Hornady 240 grain jacketed silhouette bullets (have a crimped petals flat nose, I think fer spattering on steel?)  atop 23.0 grains of Win 296 as we speak. Not Max, my Hornady book says 24.5 is. Enough to let you know you touched off a magnum, fer sure.

Anyhow I bought #500 a few years ago on sale, have shot some and gave away some. May as well shoot some of them.

Also, will load some 240 cast SWC poly coated MBC bullets using 10.0 Unique for a more moderate load. Fired some of them the other day.

Sure, .44 mag .45 colt lets shoot the big bores
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    tennmike said:
    I'll pass on that one. I don't wanna damage my hand and spoil my comfort shootin other guns.

I'll be it makes folks flinch after they fire one round................
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    OK so far:
    Marlin Model 60 and couple Speed D Loaders
    Buckmark
    Mosin Nagant with Howling Raven muzzle brake
    Ruger MPR 556
    624 .44 Spl
    Model 14 underlug .38
    Ruger LC9s
    629 3" .44 mag

And copious amounts of ammo.

Plus trim(er) fer cpj and Woody and brick of .22 for the contest.

I have some odds and ends I have no use for like .270/30-06/other calibers of brass I'll never use if anyone wants it. Too good to throw away, but needs to go to someone who will use it.  I may have some .300 Win mag brass too.

Zorba I have some surplus .303 British ammo you can have......corrosive so you will have to clean your rifle the same day you fire it. Berdan primed so not reloadable brass. I reload for .303 and won't use it.

I need to thin my junk out while I'm still able.

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,910 Senior Member
    Big Chief said:
    Zorba I have some surplus .303 British ammo you can have......corrosive so you will have to clean your rifle the same day you fire it. Berdan primed so not reloadable brass. I reload for .303 and won't use it.

Cool! And thanx! Most of what I have is corrosive anyway.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    edited April 7 #71
    Oh, that is 7mm Mag brass not .300 Win mag........maybe 20 or 30 pcs. May be Lord knows what out there in my garage.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    sakodude said:
    tennmike said:
    BAMAAK said:
    tennmike said:
    I'm not up for a 4 hour drive just to find out that the rifle I drove down there for is sold out when I get there.
    I could put one on layaway for you.  I think it 25% down.  You could pick it up at your leisure.

Or would that be a straw layaway?
    That would fall into a REALLY gray area. We'd both be in some deep stuff over that if someone at that alphabet soup agency wanted to push it.
    I wouldn't think so. Unless things are done differently there than here the 4473 is not filled out until actual purchase, not when the layaway payment is made.probably be worthy of inquiry anyway.

Sako 
    The form 4473 is a federal law. It doesn't make a flip what state your in, I would think it should be legally done the same in every state. I would think you wouldn't want to fill out the paper work before the gun is fully paid for. If the buyer can't finish paying for it it would create a paper work mess if the buyer couldn't come through.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 said:
    The form 4473 is a federal law. It doesn't make a flip what state your in, I would think it should be legally done the same in every state. I would think you wouldn't want to fill out the paper work before the gun is fully paid for. If the buyer can't finish paying for it it would create a paper work mess if the buyer couldn't come through.
    Snake, I've had prior dealings with the ATF when I had an 01 FFL back in the early 1990's. As in the time frame of Ruby Ridge, Waco, the Clinton AWB, and the OKC bombing. YOU are free to trust them if you wish, but I will keep them at a safe distance, and not give them ANY reason to notice me.

Anyway, I went down to Huntsville and picked up the rifle yesterday. Too much wind and rain to shoot it today. Monday is looking good, though.

For any newbies to the SE shoot: Bring a folding chair! I didn't last year, so I was either borrowing, sitting on the ground, or standing around doing hip slides to keep my back halfway loose as I don't stand in once place very well. I can walk all day, but to stand more than about 5 minutes causes me mild pain - and I've been that way since I was a little tyke...

I'll be bringing all 5 (or is it 6+) tiny .22 pistols. They'll fit in one case with room to spare. We can have a mini .22 shootout and see who can hit what with each!

zorba said:
    For any newbies to the SE shoot: Bring a folding chair! I didn't last year, so I was either borrowing, sitting on the ground, or standing around doing hip slides to keep my back halfway loose as I don't stand in once place very well. I can walk all day, but to stand more than about 5 minutes causes me mild pain - and I've been that way since I was a little tyke...
    Put me down on your side of the aisle. As long as I'm moving with purpose I can be upright all day as long as what i'm doing requires movement. But just to stand there like a crane looking for fish? No way Jose! About 10 minutes and I'm looking for a place to park.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    tennmike said:
    I'll be bringing all 5 (or is it 6+) tiny .22 pistols. They'll fit in one case with room to spare. We can have a mini .22 shootout and see who can hit what with each!
    We can reenact the battle of the bulge in miniature with all the tiny ordinance that's coming this year!

And again after we indulge in all the good eats..............................
    Might be a good year to bring a few hundred balloons and my little hand powered air pump. A little water to hold them down to the ground and about 6" diameter inflation would make for some fun reactive targets.

sakodude said:
    tennmike said:
    BAMAAK said:
    tennmike said:
    I'm not up for a 4 hour drive just to find out that the rifle I drove down there for is sold out when I get there.
    I could put one on layaway for you.  I think it 25% down.  You could pick it up at your leisure.

That would fall into a REALLY gray area. We'd both be in some deep stuff over that if someone at that alphabet soup agency wanted to push it.
    I wouldn't think so. Unless things are done differently there than here the 4473 is not filled out until actual purchase, not when the layaway payment is made.probably be worthy of inquiry anyway.

Sako 
    The form 4473 is a federal law. It doesn't make a flip what state your in, I would think it should be legally done the same in every state. I would think you wouldn't want to fill out the paper work before the gun is fully paid for. If the buyer can't finish paying for it it would create a paper work mess if the sale doesn't go through after the paper work is done.
    sakodude said:
    tennmike said:
    BAMAAK said:
    tennmike said:

Sako 
    If BAMAAAK paid to put it in layaway in his name and I went down there to buy it, then right there is when the complications start. I've had prior dealings with ATF and I'd rather not get into anything that is even remotely gray area. The ONLY clean way to do that would be for BAM to show up at the same time I was there, and the dealer refund his layaway, and then I buy it right then from the dealer filling out the 4473 in the process. Any other way and the ATF would/could figure out a way to jerk a knot in our tails if someone reported it.

I'll find one in stock eventually. Being in the butt end of nowhere makes it hard to get any line on any new firearms as the dealers around here serve their buddies first. Even being on a list is no guarantee that the dealer's friend Bubba  that suddenly got a hankering for the same firearm won't get the next one that comes in. And getting a dealer that will do transfer only from another place is like pulling teeth on a T-Rex.

edited May 12 #82
    Big Chief said:
    Well a mainstay is one of my model 624 .44 Spls, probably the  6 1/2" bbl this time.
    I think need prefers that on over the 4" bbl one. 

Buck Mark .22 pistol and Marlin Model 60 on the list.

Ruger 5.56 MPR

Mosin Nagant with Howling Raven Muzzle Brake if anyone wants to shoot it, it really tames that recoil of that Russian Mule.

Maybe a .357, Highway Patrolman or other?

I think cpj and others enjoyed shootin that model 14 .38 Spl W/Underlug and I can bring it again if requested.

3"  model 629 round butt .44 Mag? Handful, but not all that bad.

Maybe a surprise............I'll have to thunk on it.

List not finalized so....................let me know if you have any request for guns or any ammo I can bring and if I have it, I will bring it.

OK a couple changes............to the above

My new .45 Colt Blackhawk, no .357

S&W model 14 .38 Spl W/Underlug

Ruger LC9s and I think Zorba is bringing his if I don't. Will bring 9mm ammo  anyway.

NAA .22/.22 Mag

RCBS power trimmer for cpj

.303 Ammo for Zorba

Any more and I'll have to get a trailer like Big Dan's to carry it all in!

edited May 12 #83
    Pretty much done with any reloading I need to do beforehand.
    May load up some more .45 Colt loads at standard pressure that can be safely fired in any make/model so chambered. I like'em about 800-900 FPS pushing  250-255  grain bullets for everyday loads. 

The  +P and Ruger only loads are clearly marked in Zip-loc bags.

Always good to "Load Ahead" for future range days, anyhow.

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,248 Senior Member
    The 44-40 is off the list. I was trying to get my 1873 running in time for the shoot but it has too many issues.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    The 44-40 is off the list. I was trying to get my 1873 running in time for the shoot but it has too many issues.

I was wondering what was going on with that thing!! I had a '92 Winchester I was trying to get running for my BIL. Couldn't get it to feed. His Dad re-barreled it to .44 Mag about 50 years ago, I see why it sat the long without being completed. I would not feed, I finally called an "expert" in '92s and all he said was, " If they don't feed, they can be a beyotch!!" No kidding!
    edited May 12 #86
    I find myself subtracting and adding to the list each time I think about it.
    Newly rebuilt AR
    AR pistol
    Rem 700 .223
    10-22 (maybe)
    Ruger  Blackhawk.45Colt
    FN .40
    Sig P229
    SW 431PD
    SW Shield or Glock 43
    GSG .22 w/threaded barrel?
    SW .22A
    ????
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,248 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:

I was wondering what was going on with that thing!! I had a '92 Winchester I was trying to get running for my BIL. Couldn't get it to feed. His Dad re-barreled it to .44 Mag about 50 years ago, I see why it sat the long without being completed. I would not feed, I finally called an "expert" in '92s and all he said was, " If they don't feed, they can be a beyotch!!" No kidding!

Initally I thought that not driving the hammer all the way back was the only problem and I learned that tweaking the end of the lever was how to adjust the bolt travel. After a couple of weeks of monkeying with it, I'm giving up for now. I loaded some rounds for it and tried to shoot it last weekend thinking that I would just cock the hammer to shoot it but discovered a feeding problem and probably a broken firing pin. If you still want to look at it, it will probably be after the shoot before I have time to bring it to you.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Big Chief said:
    Ruger LC9s and I think Zorba is bringing his if I don't. Will bring 9mm ammo  anyway.

Yea, I'm bringing mine as its my EDC anyway. Anybody's welcome to try it out, I have a Lasermax on it (for better or worse!).

I don't plan to fire any corrosive ammo in my Mosin Nagant
    Diver43 said:
    Newly rebuilt AR
    AR pistol
    Rem 700 .223
    10-22 (maybe)
    Ruger  Blackhawk.45Colt
    FN .40
    Sig P229
    SW 431PD
    SW Shield or Glock 43
    GSP .22 w/threaded barrel?
    SW .22A
    ????
    Is that 431 PD a .32 Magnum?
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,777 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:

Initally I thought that not driving the hammer all the way back was the only problem and I learned that tweaking the end of the lever was how to adjust the bolt travel. After a couple of weeks of monkeying with it, I'm giving up for now. I loaded some rounds for it and tried to shoot it last weekend thinking that I would just cock the hammer to shoot it but discovered a feeding problem and probably a broken firing pin. If you still want to look at it, it will probably be after the shoot before I have time to bring it to you.

Or just bring it to the shoot and I'll get it from you there!! load up a few dummies if you can, so I can check out the feeding problem.
    Big Chief said:
    I don't plan to fire any corrosive ammo in my Mosin Nagant
    Diver43 said:
    Newly rebuilt AR
    AR pistol
    Rem 700 .223
    10-22 (maybe)
    Ruger  Blackhawk.45Colt
    FN .40
    Sig P229
    SW 431PD
    SW Shield or Glock 43
    GSP .22 w/threaded barrel?
    SW .22A
    ????
    Is that 431 PD a .32 Magnum?
    Sure is, it is the wifes carry gun