2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    edited April 8 #32
    Elk creek said:
    snake284 said:
    Elk creek said:/.
    Elk creek said:
    There is a 1885 hunter at my LGS taunting me in 270 WSM........
    Nice!  What’cha gonna rebarrel it to? 😁
    It currently wears a very nice octagon barrel. Don’t think of it as 270wsm, rather call it a 6.8wsm....😉🤠

Elk Ol' Buddy, you can call it whatever you want, it still measures .277 from bottom of the groove Straight across the barrel to bottom of the groove and will chunk 150 Grain Spitzer Bullets at 3,000-3,100 FPS out of the muzzle accurately and with deadly force into the next zip code. Now tell me what's not to love about that? LOLOLOL!!!

The $1200 price tag.......🤣
    Oh well, it's only money. I may have misunderstood. Did you already buy this rifle or are you contemplating buying it?
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,779 Senior Member
    D’Arcy Echols, now there's a name from the past!! I met him while he was in training with Jerry Fischer out in Montana in the early 80's. He is quite a talent!! 
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,428 Senior Member
    snake284 said:
    Elk creek said:
    snake284 said:
    Elk creek said:
    It currently wears a very nice octagon barrel. Don’t think of it as 270wsm, rather call it a 6.8wsm....😉🤠

Elk Ol' Buddy, you can call it whatever you want, it still measures .277 from bottom of the groove Straight across the barrel to bottom of the groove and will chunk 150 Grain Spitzer Bullets at 3,000-3,100 FPS out of the muzzle accurately and with deadly force into the next zip code. Now tell me what's not to love about that? LOLOLOL!!!

The $1200 price tag.......
    Oh well, it's only money. I may have misunderstood. Did you already buy this rifle or are you contemplating buying it?
    With my wife being unemployed currently it wouldn’t be prudent to bring home a $1200 rifle right now..... I would love to get it. Wrong time.... as a good friend of mine that managed my LGS “there are always more” 
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,066 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    snake284 said:
    Elk creek said:
    snake284 said:
    Elk creek said:

With my wife being unemployed currently it wouldn’t be prudent to bring home a $1200 rifle right now..... I would love to get it. Wrong time.... as a good friend of mine that managed my LGS “there are always more” 
    That's the good thing about being always on the lookout.  There are TONS of good values out there as long as you are willing to look around al the time.  There is not a week goes by that I don't see an ad in Armslist that makes me want to go to an ATM right now.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Elk creek said:
    snake284 said:
    Elk creek said:
    snake284 said:
    Elk creek said:

True, sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and that includes passing up things like guns we love.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 405 Member
    Ernie most of the bullets I'm going to try call for a 1-10 twist. I've only seen 1 or 2 that have me interested that call for 1-9.  
    BigAl1 yeah D'Arcy Echols been at it awhile and builds some very nice rifles. You will pay for them his basic rifles will put you in the mid teens. 
    BigAl1 yeah D'Arcy Echols been at it awhile and builds some very nice rifles. You will pay for them his basic rifles will put you in the mid teens. 
    Mid Teens as in Hundreds or Thousands?
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,620 Senior Member
    Ernie most of the bullets I'm going to try call for a 1-10 twist. I've only seen 1 or 2 that have me interested that call for 1-9.  
    Go 1-9. 

Itll shoot everything you’re interested in and more. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    edited April 10 #41
    I agree. One in 9 is a good universal twist I believe. I have two rifles with that rate. My .223 Stevens is 1-9 and my .250 Savage has a 1-9 Krieger barrel on it. It will shoot everything I feed it and well. The .223 not so well. Only one bullet, a 68 grain Hornady BT Match will group right at 1/2 inch. But nothing else seems to shoot well out of it. But I don't think that has anything to do with the twist rate, because it won't shoot anything well, from 52 Grain SpeeFB HP, Speer 52 Grain HPBT, all the way up to 65 grain Game Kings.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,734 Senior Member
    I would not say 1-9 twist is a universal twist for all calibers.
    It will take care of the lion's share in the 7mm though.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Correct Ernie, I guess I was thinking about the guns I have in it.
    edited April 10 #44
    snake284 said:
    Correct Ernie, I guess I was thinking about the guns I have in it.
    From what I've seen, the larger the caliber the looser the twist you can live with. Of course the longer and heavier bullet for a caliber the tighter the twist should be for that caliber. Of course my input here is based on what I've read and seen, not what I've actually done.
    Snake284 yes D’Arcy Echols rifles will run 5fgures. He does some very good work 
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,428 Senior Member
    Elk creek said:
    snake284 said:
    Elk creek said:
    snake284 said:
    Elk creek said:

That's the good thing about being always on the lookout.  There are TONS of good values out there as long as you are willing to look around al the time.  There is not a week goes by that I don't see an ad in Armslist that makes me want to go to an ATM right now.
    Yup, Ive even stopped looking, well, too much😉
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    Snake284 yes D’Arcy Echols rifles will run 5fgures. He does some very good work 
    5 figures! Gulp! Now that's a tad outside my budget. I'm more into 3 figures
2»