Neat little stevens at the LGS

2»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    edited April 7 #32
    I have a problem, a real problem, with sidexside doubles. They drive me crazy. Having shot a pump gun most of my life, I can't get used to two sight planes. I know there's really only one, right up the middle, but I'm used to seeing a barrel in the center of my eye. I love my O/U for this reason. However, I know if I'd bite the bullet and acquire one that I would overcome this stupid perceived problem, but so far, only shooting one on rare occasions, it bugs the crap out of me. But I really love the aesthetics of a side by side.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,281 Senior Member
    I have a Stevens .410 double barrel. Fun to shoot but it's a .410. It definitely makes you sharpen up your wingshooting skills!
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,594 Senior Member
    I'm Getting old Mike it's lighter.
    If I ever get a beagle again it would make a great companion.
    If you haven't noticed I don't make friends easily.
    A .410 for rabbit hunting would be an easy carrying shotgun with not much weight OR recoil, and not enough shot to really tear up the rabbit. A 12 ga. can obliterate a rabbit at close range. :tired_face:

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,036 Senior Member
    Weatherby said:
    You are just more selective than most.  👍
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,112 Senior Member
    I read that the old Stevens single shot pistols are extremely rare.

The old Me and Joey stories by Skeeter Skelton are from when he ran the country side around Hurfored Texas sp? with his Stevens single shot 22.
    Hereford, pronounced 'herfurd' like the cattle. I grew up about 30 miles from it. I think the Brits (who own the word) pronounce it 'hairifurd.'
    Weatherby said:
    You are just more selective than most.  👍
    I've quail hunted with that .410 double quite a bit in times gone by. It's quick to swing and with my handloads using the old card over powder and fiber cushion wads it patterns pretty good with #8 shot. And if you accidentally bust a quail a little close, it doesn't obliterate them in a cloud of feathers like larger gauges do. Definitely a joy to tote around on a LOOOOONG hunt; it's light. My Dad gave me the Dickens when I bought it, but warmed up to it after quail hunting with it a few times. He said it was a lot easier to carry all day than his Rem. Model 11 12 ga. and was plenty of gun for quail.

I'd like to hunt quail some time.
    Be worth the trip.
    So what's it gonna be?  410 or singe shot Stevens?
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    So what's it gonna be?  410 or singe shot Stevens?
    Could be neither.
    He doesn't seem to want to bring 
    That 410 back in. I think he likes it as much as me. He did seem more willing not to bring the Stevens home. I will find out Thursday.
    On oddball guns he seems to like me getting them. Been real good with that Annie and grips.
    Got some unrelieved from him recently.
    Weatherby said:
    I'd like to hunt quail some time.
    Be worth the trip.
    I bet you'd like a South GA guided quail hunt a LOT! It's some fun shooting, and watching the dogs work. Quail have been hit hard in the South by fire ants, raccoons and other critters eating the eggs, and some land use practices not conducive to quail. You ought to consider one of those guided hunts on one of the old plantations still in operation. You don't have to walk much; they have a wagon drawn by mules to tote you around on while the dogs work!

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,645 Senior Member
    Weatherby said:
    It was one like this.......... same front and rear sights.
    Barrel "may" have been a bit longer like 12" and this one had a small fore end.
    The condition was better on it also.
    Bore was perfect,,,, trigger was giddy.
    Unfortunately he's not sure what he'll do with it yet............I think I want it.....

A friend of mine went to the big gun show in AZ this past weekend and bought one of these in .32 CF.  It is perfect, nickel receiver and blue barrel.  He just got back yesterday and hasn't had a chance to try it yet.  Beautiful gun.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    edited April 11 #44
    Are you sure it's CF ?
    Not sure but seems odd to me.
    I passed on the one here today.
    Price was too steep for me.
    I don't think I could have shot it well anyway me and the sights didn't get along. Couldn't convince him to bring the 410 in either. I'm slipping. Oh and the barrel was at least a foot long and .22 looked like LR
    Too bad.  I was hopping to once again live vicariously through you...  :'(
    edited April 11 #46
    Too bad.  I was hopping to once again live vicariously through you...  :'(

Well turkey season is coming up in a couple weeks and there are two shops I only hit then so be patient.Last year is was a 243 mauser from up there.....May be good to go into the game with a few chips.
    Left a Ruger in 257 Roberts up there last year it could ease my pain.

http://http//i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/Kahjones/IMG_20180121_113512_zps8md0wtmy.jpg http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j82/Kahjones/IMG_20180121_113512_zps8md0wtmy.jpg

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,645 Senior Member
    Weatherby said:
    Are you sure it's CF ?
    Not sure but seems odd to me.
    I passed on the one here today.
    Price was too steep for me.
    I don't think I could have shot it well anyway me and the sights didn't get along. Couldn't convince him to bring the 410 in either. I'm slipping. Oh and the barrel was at least a foot long and .22 looked like LR
    Yep, I checked.  It also had the chrome stock.  The guy who bought it bought like a total of several guns at the show, so price was not much of an object to him.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
2»