.32 ACP for defense

13»

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,644 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    We did not dissect him, but the first one was perfectly between the eyes about 1 inch high and the second one an inch right and down ( double tapped him) He was stunned for about two minutes and revived when we pulled him out of the Palmettos, and I needed to place a coup de gras at the base of his head. Really an eye opener, that the kind of ammo commonly used as a "man stopper " and placed well on a tough animal, failed.

It reminded me of what would be needed in the case of a confrontation with a perp.

D
    You most probably never actually hit the brain. In a pig the brain is a small organ surrounded by all sorts of heavy bones and structure (see pics below). Getting to it requires a deep penetrating shot at EXACTLY the right point and angle through the head and quite frankly it's always a low percentage shot.

pig-brain.jpg
    img_0413.jpg
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • R51MANR51MAN New Member Posts: 20 New Member
    Here is the web URL for movie guns and who used what'

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Category:Movie
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,635 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    You most probably never actually hit the brain. In a pig the brain is a small organ surrounded by all sorts of heavy bones and structure (see pics below). Getting to it requires a deep penetrating shot at EXACTLY the right point and angle through the head and quite frankly it's always a low percentage shot.

pig-brain.jpg
    img_0413.jpg
    If you'll notice, the brain is actually behind the eyes. Or above, depending on your perspective...

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    Overkill is underrated.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,166 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »

pig-brain.jpg
    img_0413.jpg

This is why I've never paid much attention to "which is best for SD" threads.

#1) Shotgun. Any shotgun.

#2) Center fire rifle. Practically any one.

#3) Handguns. Any. Be prepared to empty the cylinder or mag then run.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,340 Senior Member
    There are some nice weak spots just below the eye and just below the ear. I'v dropped pigs DRT with a little NAA .22
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,962 Senior Member
    BigDanS wrote: »
    We did not dissect him, but the first one was perfectly between the eyes about 1 inch high and the second one an inch right and down ( double tapped him) He was stunned for about two minutes and revived when we pulled him out of the Palmettos, and I needed to place a coup de gras at the base of his head. Really an eye opener, that the kind of ammo commonly used as a "man stopper " and placed well on a tough animal, failed.

It reminded me of what would be needed in the case of a confrontation with a perp.

D

Three words for hog ammo for head shots. FULL METAL JACKET! Their heads are made up of some serious bone mass. Using SP or HP on them is wasting ammo. I've killed a BUNCH of hogs with .22 LR Shorts from a single shot rifle with muzzle contacting the head. There's one place that works every time as to bullet placement. That's the intersection of lines drawn between left ear-right eye and right ear-left eye with muzzle perpendicular to the head surface. Their facial bones are so hard that bullets tend to just skid under the hide, otherwise.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,245 Senior Member
    Linefinder wrote: »
    This is why I've never paid much attention to "which is best for SD" threads.

#1) Shotgun. Any shotgun.

#2) Center fire rifle. Practically any one.

#3) Handguns. Any. Be prepared to empty the cylinder or mag then run.

Mike

To paraphrase Clint Smith ...

Handguns put holes in bad guys ...
    Rifles put holes thru bad guys ...
    Shotguns blows chunks off bad guys ...
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,644 Senior Member
    If you'll notice, the brain is actually behind the eyes. Or above, depending on your perspective...

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    It's actually in a very small cavity between the eyes and deep inside a heavy bone plate. Directly behind the eyes, unlike humans, there is not much but bone. Tennmike has the best explanation of how to figure out where the brain is (actually works for horses too) but you have to go totally perpendicular to the skull. If you aim at that same spot at a shallower angle you'll skid the bullet right off the skull.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Nevermiss1Nevermiss1 New Member Posts: 11 New Member

Gene L said:
     but found out they didn't make holsters for automatics.
    Are you sure about this.... Thought i have seen before
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,551 Senior Member
    I'm sure, since they said so back when the Bond thing was in its height.  They got so many requests the published that they didn't make automatic holsters, only for revolvers.  I think they're still in business in Arkansas.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,551 Senior Member
    I regularly watch the tv show Forensic Files, and I'm constantly amazed at the number of people killed by a .25 acp.  One woman killed two husbands with one at point blank range.  And the .22.  I personally know of a guy who was shot in the heart with a .25 and ran a half mile to the hospital with the bullet lodged in his heart.  I don't think he died, IIRC.  I used to carry a Beretta Jetfire in my pocket as a BUG when the alternative was a Starfire in .22 short.  Which I also had.

Just about every firearm I own is superior to the .32, but it's small and will fit in the same holster as my PPK-S in .380.  I bought some HP ammo for the .32 and it's round-nosed and fires just fine.  I doubt it will penetrate with enough speed to expand much, but who knows.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
13»