Old Guns ......New Guns

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,036 Senior Member
    Oh that’s not bad at all.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,540 Senior Member
    I light sanded the shine with 600 then put on paste wax & the grip looks different than the rest.
    I put it back in the projects rack to see if it grows on me. Then again that is #1 97 so still on a learning curve. I first did that junk stevens stock & I think it turned out better than the one I care about.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,717 Senior Member
    Well worth the time.
    From scrap heap to preservation.
    Oh I have lots of plans to try on that stevens. I figure if I mess it up I can try something new. The hard core gun guys here probably just shake there heads at my attempts at projects.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,088 Senior Member
    edited April 15 #546
    Nice, you could play the Wild Bunch with that. Model 97.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    LOL yes I could !
    I have rescued 3 97s this is the first almost complete rescue. The # 2 rescue is about 40% and the third is about 6 months away that is if I can find parts. One thing I have learned is every part to a 97.  I also have a 1873 44-40 that is a rescue & it has less parts than the 97. I hope that I can get my skills up so I can get at the 73. ( not there yet )
    I have shot long guns & hand guns for many years & this is my first time trying to build new rifles & restore old ones.  The guys on here that know the different things that I have been doing have been helping me along. For that I will always be grateful.
    Good day to start parts hunting for projects.
    With so many different projects going I know I will find some parts no matter what.
    Internet hunting just makes me want to take a nap. A lot of the gun parts places say they have a part then when you order it they say it is out of stock & to keep watching. One place will only take emails ........and they never answer the email. Yep on line parts orders is an adventure.
    Managed to move the whistle project forward a tick today.
    Bought some round glass for gauges ......those were not cheap.
    Did some buffing .....keep looking at the stock.
    Tumbled 1/2 a amo can of .223 brass..... like I will have the time to reload this summer.
    Painted a couple peaces of black steel.
    Stuck to my rule when moving the steel for my bullet trap.......( finish 2 projects before starting another one )
    Paper work & paying bills slows down progress with guns & projects. Filing 1/4 sales taxes is always an adventure too. Tough to think of new treasures to buy when a big chunk of money goes out the window.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,358 Senior Member

I used to have one of those, a LONG time ago. Just an FYI- I found out the hard way that it is NOT drop safe.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    That is good to know .....thanks.
    I bought those 2 with no plan in mind.  I guess if I ever lost my AMT .32 backup it would be ok for a replacement. That or I will use it for trade to sweeten a deal on something I want.
    You drop one with a round chambered and I guess you might be the TARGA..................... do they break if dropped because Targa means plate from what I can look up. My Eyetalian ain't  good. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Beats me lol
    I can't remember the last time I ever dropped a loaded gun of any kind.
    Had a neighbor in the early 70s drop an older Ruger (before the transfer bar safety) .30 Carbine with a round under the hammer..............slide outta the holster as he was unloading his car........put a hole in his car roof and stopped deep into a carport cross beam.  Very loud!
    Big Chief said:
    Had a neighbor in the early 70s drop an older Ruger (before the transfer bar safety) .30 Carbine with a round under the hammer..............slide outta the holster as he was unloading his car........put a hole in his car roof and stopped deep into a carport cross beam.  Very loud!
    That just had to suck big time !
    Every time I see them on TV throw down a pistol on floors & streets I duck !
    DANGER DANGER !
    An auction is coming up tomorrow & I just loaded my money clip back up ! I usually don't end up with guns but the oh I could use that stuff kills me.
    Just a couple hours away from seeing if I have any will power left at an auction. I think I will be ok but in case I cave in I am taking a truck with me just in case it goes south on me .
    Mike do you shoot black powder ?
    Here is 2 black powder barrels.......worth saving  or  junk ?

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,036 Senior Member
    Depends on what the inside looks like.  Is the bore rusted?  If so, probably trash...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    This is my summer mission to sort that kind of stuff out & maybe get some room back . The amount of stuff is really impressive. I have managed to sell over 20k worth of this adventure.
    It took my summer away last year & this summer I plan to still work at it but have some fun things mixed in too. Some days I keep thinking that I am to old to be getting in these messes.
    If anyone runs across a Octagon barrel for a Hepburn In say 45/70 please let me know.
    I really would like to get that put together.

I think I have the butt stock & for-end for it. Tough to say with no barrel.
    Getting down on the pile of parts. I have around 12 long guns in the rack for repairs.
    A couple of drawers to go through of small parts . All in all didn't do to bad last winter. The summer is mostly outside work & getting ride of stuff. I might even get some shooting in out at the land while resting.
    Heck yeah man, shoot them guns and enjoy the fruits of your labors before you sell any them.
    In the past year I managed to get 10 of that pile put back into working order. ( I did the easy ones first )  The gun work is interesting .......the sorting nuts ,bolts & tools stuff kinda blows.
    I have sorted a whole tub of gloves .....like work gloves .....new ......If Mike ever gets up this way I am sending him home with some gloves.
    I was right !  ( doesn't happen often )
    I knew I had 308 cetme mags.
    And why wouldn't I remember they were under knives & pointy things ? I need to start a tub just for knives.

Getting to the fun part of this project. Getting my tanks set up will take me longer than the actual hot blueing will take.

Yep some went poof
    Any ideas on a barrel for my Hepburn ?