RIP Patrick McManus

bellcatbellcat Senior MemberPosts: 1,255 Senior Member
Outstanding humorist on outdoor miseries.    If you've never read any of his books they're fantastic.
"Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 9,999 Senior Member
    I used to read him on the back page of Sports Afield (I think). I've also read a couple of his books. Funny guy. RIP Patrick.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,092 Senior Member
    I loved his writing.  May he rest in peace, along with Rancid Crabtree and others.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,261 Senior Member
    I have one of his his books. Very funny author. RIP.
  • Vic's ViewpointVic's Viewpoint Senior Member Posts: 1,102 Senior Member
    Started reading him back in the '50s in Field & Stream ("The Back Forty," I think), and lost track of him during the '80s.  I'll miss him.
    Member formerly known as "vlafrank."
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,162 Senior Member
    I grew up reading his stories on the back page of Outdoor Life. I've got at least half a dozen of his books and still reread the stories on occasion and now that I think of it, the story about the ten year old with the bow and arrows may have originally been penned by him.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,616 Senior Member
    RIP Patrick McManus. o:) Really enjoyed his articles in F&S, and bought most of his books. He wrote about outdoor humor that made you laugh, a lot!
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,022 Senior Member
    Dang! I never read him. I never read any of the fishing stuff in those magazines because it was always about northern fishing. Of course, back in the day, nobody wrote about fishing here on the Gulf Coast. Finally in the 1980s it got popular.

But, I remember him in those magazines. I did and still do read David Petzal, who does the rifle articles in F&S. In fact he's the only reason I take the magazine.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,873 Senior Member
    "The Grasshopper Trap"......still makes me grin....RIP Mr. McManus....Thanks for the laughs...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,263 Senior Member
    edited April 16 #10
    Jayhawker said:
    "The Grasshopper Trap"......still makes me grin....RIP Mr. McManus....Thanks for the laughs...
    They Shoot Canoes, Don't They, one of my favorite books of all times.  Still around here in my office somewhere.

RIP Mr. McManus and thanks a bunch for all the laughs.  Hope to meet you by a campfire when it's my turn.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,084 Senior Member
    Wasn't it the" Lower 40"?  I grew up on those back page stories in the 1950's.  Angus MacNabb- - - - -the undertaker who used his hearse as a fishing car between funerals was one of the characters I remember.   
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,263 Senior Member
    His sister was The Troll, right?  Damn, time to dig those books out.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,873 Senior Member
    Teach said:
    Wasn't it the" Lower 40"?  I grew up on those back page stories in the 1950's.  Angus MacNabb- - - - -the undertaker who used his hearse as a fishing car between funerals was one of the characters I remember.   
    The Lower Forty , Angus MacNabb and The.Judge were the musings of Corey Ford who we lost in 1969....his most famous bit of writing was "The Road to Tinkhamtown"..... If you hunt and if you love dogs and have never read it, you have robbed yourself....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,255 Senior Member
    Cold Fish, Skunk Dog, A Hunker is not a Squat, Brimstone, Tenner Shoes, the list goes on and on.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,608 Senior Member
    Always liked his 'Dictionaries';

Car roof - Car roofs are to fishing what black holes are to outer space. Whatever is placed on them even for a few seconds gets sucked into another dimension. "Where is my fly book?" will say one angler to another. His companion will reply "I saw you place it on the car roof at our last stop!" The two anglers look at the car roof. The car roof looks back at them with smug emptiness. Never place any fishing gear on the car roof, and more importantly never sit on it yourself.

Cast - There are almost as many types of casts as anglers. There's the foot cast, the leg cast, the arm cast, the full body cast, and many more. The usual way to get into a full body cast is to listen to the advice of another angler. "Take a running jump, Stan! You can make it!"

Sinker - An angler who steps off the dock while holding a 10 horse power outboard motor is refered to as a sinker. Some athletic anglers have claimed to swum 50-60 feet while holding the motor, but it is generally believed they just walked along the bottom. Since the other anglers present continued to concentrate on putting their tackle together, no eyewithness accounts exist.

Split-shot sinker - An angler who suddenly drops into the water with one foot and the dock and the other on a drifting boat and holding a 10 horse motor is called a split-shot sinker. First he splits, then is sinks like a shot. The split is usually accompanied by a hideous screech, so horrible in fact that other anglers present have been known to look up briefly from sorting their tackle.

Purist - Any angler who doesn't catch any fish, because he uses one dry flies the size of dandruff, often conceitedly refers to himself as a purist. Other angler refer to him as a loon.

Fresh air - This is what a purist claims he enjoys getting out in, even though he doesn't catch any fish.

Fishing journal - An imaginative work of sub-literature in which the angler records the weight, length, and species of fish he didn't catch.

Rock - This is a tool used in the field to make delicate repairs on expensive fishing reels, because the tool kit was sucked into the void by the car roof.

Pink Nighty - Dry fly purists enjoy coming up with colorful names for the various bits of fluff they employ not to catch fish. However, when they see a lunker brook trout that they really want, they will often tie on a No. 10 Pink Nighty, which usually does the job. Also known as a pink nightcrawler.

New car - An expensive dehydration chamber used by ten year old boys to dry out strings of perch on hot summer days.

Blue upright - Although primarily the name of a dry fly, it also denotes an ice fisherman in Wisconsin.

Blue Darter - Refers to a Wisconsin ice fisherman who just stepped through a hole in the ice.

Fishing tackle - This is an extreme but useful maneuver for preventing a fellow angler from reaching the best fishing hole before you do.

Carp - This form of immature behavior displayed by fishing partners, usually consists of whiningm after you have clipped of the tops of their fly rods by inadvetantly pressing the button for your car's power windows.

Fair-to-middlin' - This is a standard reply for fishing resort owners to describe the worst fishing in fifteen years.

Good - Fishing resort owners use this word to describe fishing that is fair-to-middlin'

Awesome - A favorite work of resort owners to describe fishing, it is based on the fact that they heard of a kid who caught two small perch sometimes last week.

Let's tell Mommy I caught some fish - This is a pathetic plea that comes up anything a father takes his little son or daughter fishing for the first time. The situation is delicate and should be handled with the utmost care. One way is the promise the youngsters ice cream or candy. Then they will usually let you get away with the ruse. 
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,553 Senior Member
    Well......guess this makes 3. Loved his stories. on the last page of Outdoor Life. Have had several of his books.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,616 Senior Member
    His description of erecting an IFUT (Interior Frame Umbrella Tent) was hilarious! And his trips to the Army Surplus store were reminders of what I did when visiting the one in my hometown. Rancid Crabtree was a recurring character, and I happened to have been acquainted with a few of his 'cousins' in my neighborhood.

There is no one left to fill the shoes of McManus and his type of outdoor humor now. His ongoing battle with his sister 'The Troll' were hialrious!
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• 1965Jeff1965Jeff Senior Member Posts: 1,551 Senior Member
    I grew up reading his stuff, too many so close together. Hope the Gunny and him are swapping stories...
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,044 Senior Member
    His writing was on the last page of Outdoor Life when I was growing up in the 80's. I read him every chance I had. I have a copy of "They Shoot Canoes, Don't They?" around here somewhere.

Rest in peace Pat. Your life mattered.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,249 Senior Member
    He’s shootin’  chicken out falls and staying dry..... Rest easy, Sir.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,691 Senior Member
    I love all of the back page guys, very sad to lose one.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11