BIG slugs

Big Al1Big Al1 Senior MemberPosts: 6,697 Senior Member
A friend gave me a few BIG bullets and I'm trying to ID them.

The one on the left is .510 and weighs 571 grains, I figured it's for a 500 Nitro express.
The one on the right is .458 and weighs 600 grains!! What the heck shoots a .458 that big??
Any idea who makes them?? Look's like something CPJ would enjoy shooting:)

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,953 Senior Member
    You thinking about shooting those tanks Al ?
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,246 Senior Member
    Woodleigh?
    Kynoch?

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,047 Senior Member
    The .458 looks exactly like some I have from Hornady but are only 500 grains. I have loaded and fired them from a Browning model 78 45-70 and they are not even close to fun!

Sako
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 1,953 Senior Member
    I think Al now has a good excuse to buy a couple new rifles.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,697 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:
    I think Al now has a good excuse to buy a couple new rifles.

It wouldn't be the first time I started with some obscure component and went from there. :wink:
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,278 Senior Member
    Shoot, that's kinda like putting together an entire new costume because you bought a new veil and nothing goes with it!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,434 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Shoot, that's kinda like putting together an entire new costume because you bought a new veil and nothing goes with it!
    Only on this forum........... :)
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,278 Senior Member
    It amazes me how much commonality I'm finding between shooting and Belly Dancing - and I'm only half joking!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,015 Senior Member
    shush said:
    600 grain in a .458? Chuck that dude up in a .460 Weatherby and tie it to a tree, put a string around the trigger and get about 10 feet back and "PULL!" Might bend the tree.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,697 Senior Member
    I found some subsonic loads for the .458 SOCOM with the 600 grainers. B)
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,593 Senior Member
    Must be for what is considered dangerous African game, and maybe the big Alaskan brown bears.

Without a muzzle brake on the rifle, I'd expect those things to kill at both ends! :#
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,242 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    A friend gave me a few BIG bullets and I'm trying to ID them.

The one on the left is .510 and weighs 571 grains, I figured it's for a 500 Nitro express.
    The one on the right is .458 and weighs 600 grains!! What the heck shoots a .458 that big??
    Any idea who makes them?? Look's like something CPJ would enjoy shooting:)
    .458 Lott.  I think commercial loads go to 550.  600 is not much of a stretch.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,421 Senior Member
    600 gr 458? Probably 450 Nitro Express or 460 Wby. Lott maybe 
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,421 Senior Member
    .510 could either be the 500 NE or the 500 Jeffery
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,593 Senior Member
    That .510 dia. 571 grain bullet would be a good hunting bullet for a .50 MBG rifle. :)
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.