The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Replies

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    edited April 16 #29132
    When you have drill rod, you have a .166 diameter transfer punch. 

"I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 5,951 Senior Member
    Had a nice trip to the range today. My wife went to one of those skin care parties at my sister's place. So my son and I went out for a burger and a trip to the range. Partly sunny, 76 degrees. He shot my M&P 9 and 686 Plus. I shot the Sig P220.

He rarely shoots, so each time is almost like starting over for him. Still he did very well for someone who only shoots once a year or so. I have been dry firing my Sig every night, and I shot it better than I ever have.

My son and I have sorta of a "Cat's in the Cradle" scenario in our lives. Time shared doing anything together is pretty rare. We meet up for a lunch or dinner from time to time, but the last time we shared an activity together was over a year ago. 

So it was a special kinda day for me.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx

Got a LOT done today. Got a small amount of machine work to do, then a fair amount of hand finishing. 
    Zee
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    roadking said:
    Pic doesn't do it justice...the rear is twisted, most windows gone. Another bus driver claims it's totaled.

http://wnep.com/2018/02/19/school-bus-involved-in-crash-in-poconos/
    Just received word that the toxicology report on the bus driver has been obtained...positive for meth...paperwork being forwarded to the DA.
    Support your local Scouts!
    roadking said:
    roadking said:
    Pic doesn't do it justice...the rear is twisted, most windows gone. Another bus driver claims it's totaled.

http://wnep.com/2018/02/19/school-bus-involved-in-crash-in-poconos/
    Just received word that the toxicology report on the bus driver has been obtained...positive for meth...paperwork being forwarded to the DA.
    Pretty sure that guy would end up having an "accident" involving a ball bat to the knees
    Zee
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,288 Senior Member
    Face***k was hammering my website hard yesterday. As I reject all links from there, I only get the occasional hit, but I guess someone tried to post a link in a popular area of that site.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,616 Senior Member
    cpj said:

Got a LOT done today. Got a small amount of machine work to do, then a fair amount of hand finishing. 
    Looking good! Not much more metal work left.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,032 Senior Member
    I took mine in the dove field once--------it fell apart and the game warden had to drive out in a truck to rescue me and my trash.  
    I have a need for speed
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,261 Senior Member
    Been reading a book for awhile that references a name of someone I used to know. I can almost see his face, but I can not remember where or when I knew him from.👴😒
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,012 Senior Member
    I despise calling Directv. On hold for 35 minutes and finally just hung up.
    NN said:
    I took mine in the dove field once--------it fell apart and the game warden had to drive out in a truck to rescue me and my trash.  
    ????

A wagon?

Carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it, you may shoot it. If you shoot it, you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you. --Jeff Cooper

Some dumbass forgot to order a 1/4-28 die last year. So, that dumbass got to single point these threads on the lathe.  He actually made about three times this many threads, but cut and filed to get the number/length of threads he need. Now, he has to drill an 1/8 cross hole in that 1/4" rod. But, hes chicken. Because he knows if he **** up, he gets to make the whole thing again. 
    Zee
    cpj said:

Some dumbass forgot to order a 1/4-28 die last year. So, that dumbass got to single point these threads on the lathe.  He actually made about three times this many threads, but cut and filed to get the number/length of threads he need. Now, he has to drill an 1/8 cross hole in that 1/4" rod. But, hes chicken. Because he knows if he **** up, he gets to make the whole thing again. 
    I have an almost foolproof method for doing that cross hole drilling. Indicate the piece in the mill vise and use a small end mill, in this case a 3/16" would be ideal, and make a small flat spot on the work piece. Then use 3/16" center drill to spot hole, then change collet for cross hole drill size.

That's how I'd do it, and do it that way. Saves on cuss words and do overs. Just make sure you mark where the hole will be when the stub is screwed into the action before drilling! :)
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Gonna be a cork soaker to get it EXACTLY where it needs to be. And it has to be nearly perfect. It won't tolerate being rotated off kilter. Reckon it's gonna get drilled while it's in the action. I've got nice flat surfaces to squeeze on to. 
    Milling a flat is a great idea, but can't happen. The .250 rod is already JUST bigger than the trigger assembly. Like a file stroke or two to big. In reality I should have started with 5/16 or bigger rod, so that I could mill flats that were actual flats, what for making better contact with the trigger bits. I'm not overly impressed with my solution, and as such is subject to review, rejection, and re-do. 

As far as spot drilling goes, that's what spot drills are for. Grown rather fond of them. Purpose built, short stiff drills. Much bueno. Much better than center drills. Which....are for making centers what for lathe turning. They ain't the best for spotting/starting holes, least not as good as the drill that's designed for that purpose. 
    Zee

Possibly like so 
    Zee
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 417 Member
    If ya have a n edge finder, mount your bolt between to parallels in your vice, find your edge off one of your parallel edges, find your center and go with a center drill (preferably one that fits a collet). Start a hole then peck drill it.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,012 Senior Member
    Been thinking about selling my Howa 1500  7mm Rem Mag to fund a Grendel build. I'm not one that ever sells anything but I only use the 7 mag deer hunting. Figure the Grendel would be good for hunting and at the range. What you folks think of the idea.
    edited April 17 #29149
    Well, got thay cross hole drilled. In the wrong **** spot. I KNEW it was .200 to the center off the bottom of the action. KNEW IT. 
    Except it wasn't. It was supposed to be .100. 
    Bed time. 
    Zee
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,295 Senior Member
    Ain't that the way it goes :cry:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Part on left should look like prototype part on right in regards to hole location. 
    Zee

Wheee the pencil is pointing should be against the bottom of the action. 
    Zee
    zorba said:
    NN said:
    ????

A wagon?

Same wagon you are upgrading
    I have a need for speed
    NN said:
    zorba said:
    NN said:
    ????

A wagon?

Same wagon you are upgrading
    No kidding? That wagon is pretty darn rare - its amazing to hear tell of another one.

Probably not back when they were made, they just were not up to the abuse kids do
    to their toys and did not last.

A lot lot parents did not have  the desire or time to keep fixing such things.
    I have a need for speed
    I hauled Grand kids around in it
    I have a need for speed
    Yea, I took my granddaughter out in mine last weekend, which is what made me get off my duff and put the "lift kit" onto it. I was an absolute fanatic about taking care of that wagon when I was a kid - I had lost a previous metal pan wagon to rust, and had promised my parents I'd take care of it. Which is why it didn't rot away and is still here.

Most of the ones I see on the 'net now have the long, single piece side panels which Sears had switched to a couple or three years after I got mine. "Most"? Heck, more like *ALL*. I guess the double panel wagons have all rotted away...

cpj said:

Still ain't a lost cause. Get that 1/4"-28 die you don't have and thread that sucker so it will fit where it needs to be. Permanent Lock Tite is your best buddy for exact part placement. Or..................you can make another one.
    Another suggestion, FWIW. That stub for holding the trigger could be made from aluminum or brass stock. Not like it's a high stress part.

edited April 17 #29159
    Sometimes you've got "it", sometimes you don't. Its been at least 2 years, maybe 3, since I performed a double veil routine, and that particular one did NOT go well. I have been informed by my dance sisters here that I'm doing double veil at the spring showcase. So I got them out and practiced today, and will try to practice every day between now and the performance. I did great today. That kind of scares me - but I'm sure I'll screw it up enough times between now and performance day to make me happy. I'm a bit nauseated - double veil dancing involves a LOT of spinning...

tennmike said:
    cpj said:

Still ain't a lost cause. Get that 1/4"-28 die you don't have and thread that sucker so it will fit where it needs to be. Permanent Lock Tite is your best buddy for exact part placement. Or..................you can make another one.
    Another suggestion, FWIW. That stub for holding the trigger could be made from aluminum or brass stock. Not like it's a high stress part.
    That part ain't worth messing with. Nothing to grab hold of. Drill rod is cheap.  I bought a die today. Spendy little sucker at $16. But it's HSS and made in America.  Most import taps and dies ain't worth a DAMN. No more than I'll use it, it will probably last forever. 
    New plan also. Take a piece of 3/8 rod, turn the tip down to 1/4" then thread the tip. (Just the tip) Install snugly. Then mill the sides down so I have a 1/4 wide by 3/8 long stud. That gives me flat surfaces for the trigger to ride on, and a shoulder to tighten against. There's WAY too much wiggle the way I had it before. 
    Zee
    Picked up a WELL used compressor today. It's been acting sketchy. Likely a bad pressure switch. But, it's 8 years old. And has been run HARD. Like  some days just Minutes between cycles, if not just running solid for days. Anyway, since we don't fix things only replace them.....someone's got a "new" 2 hp 26 gallon made in the USA compressor.  
    And "only " 2 HP, that's 2 actual HP. Not like the ones at Walmart claiming 5 HP. Maybe they would make 5 HP, ILSI. (If Lightning Strikes It) 

Zee