Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Senator Bill Nelson letter

Diver43Diver43 Senior MemberPosts: 10,914 Senior Member

A while back I wrote a respectable letter to the Senator asking him to re think his feelings on certain types of fire arms and 2A issues.

Yesterday I received this canned response.

Dear Mr. Comfort:  

Thank you for contacting me about ways to reduce gun violence.  

I grew up on a ranch. I have hunted and owned guns all my life, but a semi-automatic assault rifle, such as an AR-15 or an AK-47, is not for hunting – it’s for killing. And, at some point, we as a society have got to say enough is enough.  

I have cosponsored several common-sense gun reform bills to ban the sale, transfer, or manufacture of semi-automatic assault rifles, such as the AR-15 and the AK-47, and high-capacity magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. I’ve also sponsored legislation to close the so-called “gun show loophole” by requiring a background check for the sale or transfer of any firearm, regardless of where it is purchased.  

Tragedies like the mass shootings at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and Pulse Nightclub in Orlando should never happen again, which is why I recently took to the Senate floor to urge my colleagues to act on these common-sense gun reforms – and I will continue to do so. If you have a moment, here’s a link to watch the speech I gave on the Senate floor recently: https://youtu.be/LxuKU0sHcks .  

Thank you, again, for taking the time to share your thoughts on this issue. And, please don’t hesitate to contact me on this or any other issues that are important to you.

Sincerely,

Bill Nelson

I have no idea how to get rid of that phrase: gun show loophole, and make them say background check for private sales.

But the idea that a AR style rifle is not for hunting  is another canned response.

What do you think about the idea that hunters and sportsman send in tasteful pictures of their successful hunts and competitions using AR style rifles?

Those of us here know that an AR can be very accurate and with the different calibers and bullets available can be uses to hunt varmints to Elk.

Some of the lets say, "older generation" only know of an AR being utilized in Viet Nam and are unfamiliar with the way it has evolved to the rifle that we use today. Maybe we can convince some of them that it is a viable hunting platform

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

Replies

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,150 Senior Member
    The thing is, he does not care what you or I think. He never said “I have checked with my constituents....” he ain’t working for the people that put him in office.   He used those terms as a shield to deflect questions, while trying to exert more control on the people that he is supposed to serve
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    Oh, he's checked with his constituents.  Those who vote "D." 

As a Senator he (like all other Senators) represents ALL the voters in his state.  I follow him on Facebook and Twitter.  He states what he believes on all of those, but if he solicits responses, it's very rare.  If at all.

BTW, while I know a few here hate social media, the use of it to follow your elected representatives is a good use, in my mind.  Usually you get more frequent updates than you do via email.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    The thing is, he does not care what you or I think. He never said “I have checked with my constituents....” he ain’t working for the people that put him in office.   He used those terms as a shield to deflect questions, while trying to exert more control on the people that he is supposed to serve

I absolutely agree. Nelson could care less about what anyone who doesn't agree with his agenda thinks. It unlikely that he reads or responds to his own mail also and likely has his assitants write his replies. Trying to offer some logical input to his thinking would be a waste of time as he shows no intention of deviating from his agenda.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    As a fledgling member of the older generation (or at least getting close), I don't completely disagree with your assertion about them being unfamiliar with the way that use of the AR platform has evolved into a hunting platform. I never considered it worthy of a hunting rifle, myself, for about 40 years. But that misses the point of the 2nd amendment, or at least much of it, I think.

Having committed treason to rid themselves of tyranny by a British king, the founding fathers could easily envision the possibility that it might have to be done again. Also, they probably were conscious of the likelihood that citizens might need to defend themselves from civil strife that was caused by the government failing to govern in the best interests of the majority. Disarming the public insures that tyranny will survive, and they knew this well, because the first thing the British did to prevent revolution was to go after the guns. The first main conflict in the revolution was about the defense of armaments.

Bill Nelson is never going to sit still for this argument, because his framework for political debate does not even allow facts to be entered that would suggest failure by the government. That would be treason.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Oh, he's checked with his constituents.  Those who vote "D." 

As a Senator he (like all other Senators) represents ALL the voters in his state.  I follow him on Facebook and Twitter.  He states what he believes on all of those, but if he solicits responses, it's very rare.  If at all.

BTW, while I know a few here hate social media, the use of it to follow your elected representatives is a good use, in my mind.  Usually you get more frequent updates than you do via email.
    I follow my representatives on Facebook, and give them hell on it, or support, as to where they are leaning. And I do the E-mail thing to their offices. Form letters in response, mostly, except for my district House Representative. He sends a snail mail response occasionally, and it's hand signed, not stamped with a signature stamp. He's an O.K. guy, and I'll be voting for him again. Senator Corker is not running again, so the trash is taking itself out in his case. Now if TN could just get Senator Lamar Alexander to do the right thing and get the hell out of office then TN might have a chance to elect someone that has the state's and people's welfare foremost. Both Corker and Alexander have become multimillionaires in their time in office. They didn't do that on their Congressional salaries.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,150 Senior Member

I dont hate it, I'm just tired of social media, and what it turns people into.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,493 Senior Member
    I dont hate it, I'm just tired of social media, and what it turns people into.
    Oh, I agree, but I don't think it turns folks into that, it just allows a mask to come off.

Those who follow me on Facebook (which is where I do most of my posting) know my posting is mainly jokes, snark, and photos.  I avoid getting into arguments.  Heck, my political posts are joking/snarky.
    Overkill is underrated.