Home Main Category Clubhouse

What is this ? & what is it for ?

13»

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,265 Senior Member
    I have a feeling it is left over parts from the 93 production & was put on some of the 97 C builds to get rid of old stock. The 3 screw really was a bad design for that much use.
    Digging around I found these & was wondering what they are for . My guess is .22.
    I have never loaded 22-250 s & was wondering if these would work ?

• BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,258 Senior Member
    For folks interested in how it worked here is a picture showing the rotating breech.  Quite ingenious.
    Rather than attempt to re-post the mountain of photos and text, here's a link to my thread at Cast Boolits that chronicles my ongoing adventures with a French 1866 Chassepot needle rifle: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?286848-Mle-1866-Chassepot-Cartridge-Construction-DIY-Insanity!

It constantly boggles my mind when studying the fairly advanced state of the brass cartridge in 1861-'65 Civil War stuff like this Burnside, Spencers, and Henrys that the French would look at it and say "Yep. . .we're gonna try to improve on the Dreyse paper cartridge needle ignition system" in 1866. . . the same year the name Winchester was launched with a 15-shot repeater.

Another interesting historical quirk - when you research most of the serious successful hardware of the major powers from the end of the American Civil War to at least WWI, you learn that the bulk of it was designed by Americans who got sick of dealing with the hidebound U.S. Ordnance board and sold their patents to nations who knew a good thing when they saw it.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,891 Senior Member
    Pics a bit blurry but they look like a FMJ bullet. probably meant for .223 Rem but could certainly be used in 22-250 if you were so inclined.

Sako
    sakodude said:
    Pics a bit blurry but they look like a FMJ bullet. probably meant for .223 Rem but could certainly be used in 22-250 if you were so inclined.

Sako
    Great !
    Now all I need to do is get one of my 700 Remington 22-250 s built.
    Maybe next summer I will have one done to shoot. I am still debating on cutting down a composite stock for one of those. I am way out on a limb on that type of project.
    With 2 short & 1 long action I can really go any direction I want to.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited April 2018 #67
    bisley said:
    Old Ron said:
    Guess it is the new way to bench shoot. The second question I have is why would 1 guy need 4 of these ?
    Need? That is a very slippery slope for a gun nut. I avoid discussions of need, whenever possible.

The only things I need are food, shelter, and AMMO (OK Maybe more guns too)! The rest of my world is WANT!

Yeah, I know, there's some things I WANT really really bad, almost to the point of need.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Hey Mods! WOO HOO!!! This should be a sticky. How many times a day do we all see something and say that to ourselves? "What is this and what is it used for?"
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I seem to say that all the time snake.
    I needed 1 mag for my .308 cetme & ordered 10 ......2 worked so they sent me 8 more & they all worked didn't need 10 just seemed like a good idea at the time.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    Might need ten if the critters raid that tobacco.🐀🐐🐇🐁🐾🐰🐹🐭🏃
    My plants are about 3" tall now & there is still snow on the ground here. Could be late planting this year.  ( do you think a .308 with a 20 round mag. will be big enough for the bunny s ? )

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    You want the others to get the message🐰🐇
    edited April 2018 #73
    Old Ron said:
    I needed 1 mag for my .308 cetme & ordered 10 ......2 worked so they sent me 8 more & they all worked didn't need 10 just seemed like a good idea at the time.
    Ron that reminds me of what a guy I used to know said when talking about pant size, "I wear a 38 but a 40 fit so good I bought a 42."
    edited April 2018 #74
    Old Ron said:
    Taking a break here......after every load of stuff down the steps.
    Best I can find about that forearm is that it is early 97 production so some had the 3 hole & some did not on the C upgrade. At the prices I see for that stick of wood I think mine will be the updated version. ( this would be easier if I knew how to spell )
    If not for spell check I"m dead>
    snake284 said:
    Old Ron said:
    Ron that reminds me of what a guy I used to know said when talking about pant size, "I wear a 38 but a 40 fit so good I bought a 42."
    I can only dream of when I could wear a 36. I have managed some how to put on 17 pounds this winter. ( guess I could say I'm big boned ! )
    With 10 -20 round mags. I think 1 or 2 of the bunny s will be in trouble this year.
    That reminds me that another mess is in my near future. AMMO
    I think I have around 50 ammo cans full & 2 safes full to sort through. Being organized kind of slipped my mind for a few years. Now with all the other things I have brought home I have a huge job to get all this in the shape it should be. Adding to my hobby list of gun repairs & rescues I am really screwed for a time now. With all the guns I have to shoot I don't have the time to go & shoot ......even at my own range. ( sad day )
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    edited April 2018 #76
    Old Ron said:
    My plants are about 3" tall now & there is still snow on the ground here. Could be late planting this year.  ( do you think a .308 with a 20 round mag. will be big enough for the bunny s ? )

Rabbits high on tobacco are 'wound up tighter than a 2 dollar watch'! They will be some really quick bunny rabbits! :D
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    Most of the snow is gone so getting the garden prepped is on the to do list. If it isn't to muddy. Today is a Auction so no garden work today. ( just spend money day ) As soon as the ground drys up I will be pulling old stalks & tilling the dirt up may throw in some food for the plants too. ( pot ash & lime )