Deer at 400 yards with a .338 Lapua!

2»

Replies

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,688 Senior Member
    The RUM is essentially a ballistic twin to the Lapua.
    Hummmmmmm.  Thanks!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,447 Senior Member
    I like most all guns. A few Garner my true affection 

This, is one of them. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,181 Senior Member
    Hummmmmmm.  Thanks!
    I will bring my 338 RUM to Jerry's this year.
    Zee said:
    I like most all guns. A few Garner my true affection 

This, is one of them. 
    What’s there not to ❤️ 
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton

Hummmmmmm.  Thanks!
    Cool.  I sold my .338RUM years ago.  Just not a practical round in NY but I have been steadily developing an itch for a .338 
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,548 Senior Member
    Hummmmmmm.  Thanks!
    If I can shoot it, bring plenty of ammo, please
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 1,725 Senior Member
    Funny thing is some guy in lower Alabama who shoots whitetail deer is thinking he needs a 408 Cheytac at a minimum to put one down since your deer didn't fall in a heap!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 19,447 Senior Member
    Yeah............he needs one.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,104 Senior Member
    edited March 10 #40
    Bigslug said:
    Well. . .you can either take steps to calculate the range and know your trajectory perfectly. . .

. . .or you can just ask the deer to stand at your zero distance. :D
    Damn Deer won't listen. I ask one to move up 100 or so yards once. I ask him politely, and he disrespectfully shot me the bird and walked away pissed off saying,"Go F... yourself! You call yourself a shot? Man go practice and come back when you figure this distance thing out Dude!".

Well that's what I imagined him as saying. Actually I think he heard me mumbling to myself or saw me. I was standing on the ladder at the door of my 25 foot tower blind. He either saw me or heard me because I couldn't make my mind up whether to take a shot or not. I just couldn't make up my mind before he launched into overdrive and into the next zip code. That was north of Uvalde where I hunted two years in 1987-1989. I later paced off the proposed shot at right around 500 yards. It was one of the finest bucks I ever had a chance at. I don't think 500 yards should be prohibitive for normal hunting. I don't think you need to have any special eguipment other than a range finder, which I didn't have.
    But I would suggest to anyone if you think you might have a shot that long, be prepared. You don't want to try a hail mary on a good game animal. You want to have the hold over down and have a good level of confidence, whatever that takes.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    Playing catch up here with the new "changes" on the forum.
    Excellent shooting!
    I know you love that Lapua...I would too.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,070 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Well. . .you can either take steps to calculate the range and know your trajectory perfectly. . .

. . .or you can just ask the deer to stand at your zero distance. :D
    This is not as funny as it sounds.

I hunt on a small tract of land these days, so I depend on the deer coming down a well used game trail as they traverse my small kill zone. The trick is to make them stop while they are in that zone.

In my defense, though, I don't require them to be at my zeroed range. I just require them to be within my MPBR, plus a little Kentucky windage, if shooting opportunities are few and far between.
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    I wish I knew how to post pics easily because I can see a Cleveland Meme saying......."Thats nasty!!"   Absolutely brutal round....I need one

"You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
2»