Home Main Category Hunting

Deer at 400 yards with a .338 Lapua!

2»

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,096 Senior Member
    The RUM is essentially a ballistic twin to the Lapua.
    Hummmmmmm.  Thanks!
    I will bring my 338 RUM to Jerry's this year.
    If I can shoot it, bring plenty of ammo, please
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,247 Senior Member
    Funny thing is some guy in lower Alabama who shoots whitetail deer is thinking he needs a 408 Cheytac at a minimum to put one down since your deer didn't fall in a heap!
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 24,018 Senior Member
    Yeah............he needs one.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #35
    Bigslug said:
    Well. . .you can either take steps to calculate the range and know your trajectory perfectly. . .

. . .or you can just ask the deer to stand at your zero distance. :D
    Damn Deer won't listen. I ask one to move up 100 or so yards once. I ask him politely, and he disrespectfully shot me the bird and walked away pissed off saying,"Go F... yourself! You call yourself a shot? Man go practice and come back when you figure this distance thing out Dude!".

Well that's what I imagined him as saying. Actually I think he heard me mumbling to myself or saw me. I was standing on the ladder at the door of my 25 foot tower blind. He either saw me or heard me because I couldn't make my mind up whether to take a shot or not. I just couldn't make up my mind before he launched into overdrive and into the next zip code. That was north of Uvalde where I hunted two years in 1987-1989. I later paced off the proposed shot at right around 500 yards. It was one of the finest bucks I ever had a chance at. I don't think 500 yards should be prohibitive for normal hunting. I don't think you need to have any special eguipment other than a range finder, which I didn't have.
    But I would suggest to anyone if you think you might have a shot that long, be prepared. You don't want to try a hail mary on a good game animal. You want to have the hold over down and have a good level of confidence, whatever that takes.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,497 Senior Member
    Playing catch up here with the new "changes" on the forum.
    Excellent shooting!
    I know you love that Lapua...I would too.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Bigslug said:
    Well. . .you can either take steps to calculate the range and know your trajectory perfectly. . .

. . .or you can just ask the deer to stand at your zero distance. :D
    This is not as funny as it sounds.

I hunt on a small tract of land these days, so I depend on the deer coming down a well used game trail as they traverse my small kill zone. The trick is to make them stop while they are in that zone.

In my defense, though, I don't require them to be at my zeroed range. I just require them to be within my MPBR, plus a little Kentucky windage, if shooting opportunities are few and far between.
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    I wish I knew how to post pics easily because I can see a Cleveland Meme saying......."Thats nasty!!"   Absolutely brutal round....I need one

"You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man