Home Main Category Clubhouse

Two Army brigade combat teams will get to test an autonomous robot vehicle this year

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
OK, now this makes sense to me. Already in a combat zone and vehicles like this could carry 1000 pounds of food/water/munitions/weapons and take a big logistical burden off the ground pounders.

Ever toted a M2 .50 Cal MG around, I have and even a short walk carrying either the bbl, receiver or tripod (only a Samoan Islander could do it all together fer long) not to mention ammo is a real bear.

So THIS AIN'T AUTOMOBILES so I think we can have a civil discussion. A few years ago I saw some animations of these type vehicles being used to transport wounded to a safe area on stretchers and doing stuff like resupplying an almost completely automated field artillery Btry with munitions.

Cool, I like the concept.     
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 6,749 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #2
    Sounds great where usable.

I seem to recall reading about a lot of mud in past combat zones. Having some experience with mud, minus the combat, it's difficult for me to imagine a driverless vehicle being successful on that type of road. Be great if it is though.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Lock it now.
    Please, think of the children.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member

I seem to recall reading about a lot of mud in past combat zones. Having some experience with mud, minus the combat, it's difficult for me to imagine a driverless vehicle being successful on that type of road. Be great if it is though.
    Tracked vehicles are a bit better at negotiating mud, most of the time. I HAVE seen tanks stuck in mud and sugar sand (really fine grain sand), though. Depends on the driver. When I was driving the APC in some iffy conditions I fell back to the "Hit it wide open and steer for the clearing" mode. Worked every time for me; sometimes a small tree got a bit skinned, though! :smiley:

The Army has already been fielding some smaller tracked vehicles that are human controlled ROV types. They are armed with MG and grenade launchers, among other things.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,690 Senior Member
    The day the US can deploy autonomous (But supervised) robot infantry in the field for direct combat (And not only robotic "help") without having to bring home more flag-draped coffins, the dumb 3rld. world bush "conflicts" against assorted terrorists will be over. Fortunately it seems that we're getting pretty close to that.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,659 Senior Member
    Are they tracked, wheeled, half-tracked, or more something like an Imperial Walker? Should be pretty cool, regardless. My only concern is the inevitable enemy fire/IEDs/whatever, but if they're in a supply role (at least initially), that would keep them behind friendly lines and minimize dangers. For where there *are* "lines", friendly or otherwise - not sure how they would work out in a Mogadishu neighborhood. Any articles out there about this?
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    DARPA is developing exoskeletons for troops to help them carry ever increasing loads.  Only a few steps from full blown robosoldiers.  AI can be a great thing or the end of the world, we'll see.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    zorba said:
    Are they tracked, wheeled, half-tracked, or more something like an Imperial Walker? Should be pretty cool, regardless. My only concern is the inevitable enemy fire/IEDs/whatever, but if they're in a supply role (at least initially), that would keep them behind friendly lines and minimize dangers. For where there *are* "lines", friendly or otherwise - not sure how they would work out in a Mogadishu neighborhood. Any articles out there about this?
    Image result for Army armed ROV
    Both?
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike said:
    Both?
    Now THOSE are effin' cool! Its come a long way since the Germans tried a tracked bomb back in WW II.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    The newer stuff is really high tech. Those two are ROV type with some 'geek' driving them with a joystick, and firing the weapons. A ground borne drone!
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    tennmike said:

Tracked vehicles are a bit better at negotiating mud, most of the time. I HAVE seen tanks stuck in mud and sugar sand (really fine grain sand), though. Depends on the driver. When I was driving the APC in some iffy conditions I fell back to the "Hit it wide open and steer for the clearing" mode. Worked every time for me; sometimes a small tree got a bit skinned, though! :smiley:

The Army has already been fielding some smaller tracked vehicles that are human controlled ROV types. They are armed with MG and grenade launchers, among other things.
    They have a lot of APCs on ships?  
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK said:
    tennmike said:

I was in the TN Army National Guard for several years after the Navy. One of the E-4 Mafia in communications. I strung commo wire, fixed radios, drove the deuce and a half commo truck with the commo gear, drove the commo APC, did a little tank driving, and some other weird stuff. I got 'voluntold' a lot, like driving a 5 ton truck loaded with tank rounds. And being part of the E-4 Mafia I passed on all unfounded rumors (skuttlebutt for the Navy types) whenever possible. 
    ― Douglas Adams
    Here an "old skool" version:

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    As you can see....they can defend themselves.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Here's a link to my old TN Army National Guard unit, the 1st/278th Armored Cavalry. Learning about them I was proud to have served with them. Great history with that unit.

http://www.tnmilitary.org/278th-armored-cavalry-regiment.html

― Douglas Adams
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,920 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    As you can see....they can defend themselves.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    BAMAAK said:
    tennmike said:

I was in the TN Army National Guard for several years after the Navy. One of the E-4 Mafia in communications. I strung commo wire, fixed radios, drove the deuce and a half commo truck with the commo gear, drove the commo APC, did a little tank driving, and some other weird stuff. I got 'voluntold' a lot, like driving a 5 ton truck loaded with tank rounds. And being part of the E-4 Mafia I passed on all unfounded rumors (skuttlebutt for the Navy types) whenever possible. 
    ― Douglas Adams