Home Main Category Clubhouse

Fish recipes for a non-fisherman

2»

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,397 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #32
    bisley said:
    Finding good fish that doesn't cost as much as rib eye would benefit me greatly. I'm looking forward to finding some good tuna, so that I can eat it or salmon whenever I need a treat. And hopefully, I can find some reasonably priced cod or similar that is somewhere in the neighborhood of pork prices. If I was a fisherman, it would help, because this is bass and crappie fishing country.
    It ain't too late to learn some fishing. And by no means discount bluegill and other sunfish. They taste GREAT and are pretty easy to catch from the bank if you don't have a boat. And bluegill can be pan fried with very little oil.
    How I do bluegill and other sunfish: They're too small generally to fillet so I use catfish skinning pliers to skin them and then cut off head and gut. I skin them because, for me, the skin leaves a taste after cooking them. Leave dorsal fin and tailfin on; I'll explain about the fins and bones.
    Lightly bread them, a little salt and pepper, and fry on top of stove. The meat will be white and flaky when done and they don't take long to cook, so don't overcook.
    Now about the bones: Pull out the dorsal fin; it will come out in one piece. Run fork along backbone and the whole fillet will come off; remove the spine again using your fork, and use fork to remove the rib bones remaining. You're left with two boned fillets that are nothing but good!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    In Kuwait or Iraq a LBD (Little Brown Dude) wuz serving in the mess hall, I pointed and ask him if that was chicken or fish cause I sure couldn't tell from lookin at it.

He says 'Feesh, that is Feesh....you want Feesh' I say nope, I'll pass.... keep yer Feesh.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,923 Senior Member
    We don't eat a lot of fish, most of our fishing is catch and release..but...every once in awhile we will keep a couple of rainbows or brown trout and pan fry them along with some fried potatoes and onions for a treat.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,714 Senior Member
    Coat it in olive oil, season with salt, pepper, lemon pepper, etc.  Ground red pepper is good, too.  Broil until done, maybe with a light brown on the edges.  I use that for tilapia, crappie, or other mild, white fish.

For salmon I use a mix of olive oil, maybe a little butter, minced garlic, Worchestersheesheershire, and rosemary and/or dill.  Broil until done.

Another option is a little soy sauce and garlic powder and broil it.  
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,495 Senior Member
    NN said:

Ooooo..... gotta remember that! Thank Clean for the recipe!
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Yea, I think I am going to try that next week.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    edited March 2018 #38
    tennmike said:
    bisley said:
    Finding good fish that doesn't cost as much as rib eye would benefit me greatly. I'm looking forward to finding some good tuna, so that I can eat it or salmon whenever I need a treat. And hopefully, I can find some reasonably priced cod or similar that is somewhere in the neighborhood of pork prices. If I was a fisherman, it would help, because this is bass and crappie fishing country.
    It ain't too late to learn some fishing. And by no means discount bluegill and other sunfish. They taste GREAT and are pretty easy to catch from the bank if you don't have a boat. And bluegill can be pan fried with very little oil.
    How I do bluegill and other sunfish: They're too small generally to fillet so I use catfish skinning pliers to skin them and then cut off head and gut. I skin them because, for me, the skin leaves a taste after cooking them. Leave dorsal fin and tailfin on; I'll explain about the fins and bones.
    Lightly bread them, a little salt and pepper, and fry on top of stove. The meat will be white and flaky when done and they don't take long to cook, so don't overcook.
    Now about the bones: Pull out the dorsal fin; it will come out in one piece. Run fork along backbone and the whole fillet will come off; remove the spine again using your fork, and use fork to remove the rib bones remaining. You're left with two boned fillets that are nothing but good!
    Yeah, I know. I fished for a couple of years, when I first moved from west to east Texas. I had a few creeks and ponds that I found while doing land surveying, and I enjoyed that type of fishing. I was usually able to catch enough 1/2 pound bass and crappy, or bream to make a 'mess' (slang term meaning enough for one meal, for you non-southerners) But, those places became unavailable to me, and I didn't enjoy lake fishing much.

One of my SILs and my two grandsons are tournament bass fishermen, but they rarely keep what they catch. But I learned my lesson about going out with die-hard fishermen - they stay all day, even if they are catching nothing. I'm normally a very calm person, but I just can't take spending the day in a boat, unless something is happening.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,397 Senior Member
    bisley said:

Yeah, I know. I fished for a couple of years, when I first moved from west to east Texas. I had a few creeks and ponds that I found while doing land surveying, and I enjoyed that type of fishing. I was usually able to catch enough 1/2 pound bass and crappy, or bream to make a 'mess' (slang term meaning enough for one meal, for you non-southerners) But, those places became unavailable to me, and I didn't enjoy lake fishing much.

One of my SILs and my two grandsons are tournament bass fishermen, but they rarely keep what they catch. But I learned my lesson about going out with die-hard fishermen - they stay all day, even if they are catching nothing. I'm normally a very calm person, but I just can't take spending the day in a boat, unless something is happening.
    One thing I do when I go fishing on Watts Bar Lake and others, and on the rivers, is to take along one of my pellet pistols and find something to shoot along the shoreline. When the fish aren't cooperating it keeps me occupied. Rocks, leaves, bugs, and anything that looks like a likely target. I have two pistols that I take regularly, a break action, and a manual multi pump pneumatic. Both have decent triggers, and are accurate. Too far from the bank? Tie a loop in the line of a spare rod and attach loop to a disposable water bottle and cast it out there and have at it! When it finally sinks, reel it in and attach another one. Works from the bank, too!
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    NN said:
    Coat it in olive oil, season with salt, pepper, lemon pepper, etc.  Ground red pepper is good, too.  Broil until done, maybe with a light brown on the edges.  I use that for tilapia, crappie, or other mild, white fish.

For salmon I use a mix of olive oil, maybe a little butter, minced garlic, Worchestersheesheershire, and rosemary and/or dill.  Broil until done.

Or Soy, Vinegar, and Garlic, marinade about two ours and broil or grill over coals. Be easy with the salt when you use soy, it's already salty as hell. Pepper, either black, red or just fresh jalapeno or something.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I have been back to dieting since basically the beginning of the year and have lost 34 pounds so far. Actually re-lost is a better way of saying it. Anyway, in order to get away with eating enough so I don't feel like I am starving, my tactic has been to go with lean meats and lots of veggies-- cutting out quite a bit of the excessive fat and carbs. Some of my tricks for meals meat wise:

1/2 of a 14oz package of turkey smoked sausage is only 350 calories. I put that in a low carb tortilla (50 calories) along with some mustard and sauerkraut.

1 can of tuna in water is 100 calories and a tablespoon of light mayo is 35 calories. So 2 cans of tuna and 2T of mayo with some dill relish is only 270 calories. I eat that in some lettuce wraps.

Ballpark makes all white meat turkey hotdogs that are 45 calories each. I eat 4 of those in a couple of those tortillas with mustard, ketchup, and onions, and relish. 300 calories total.

Most boneless hams are very lean and only 30 calories an ounce. That means that a 10 ounce ham steak is 300 calories.

A whole pound of shrimp (precooked weight) is only 320 calories.

80/20 ground beef is only 50 calories an ounce (precooked weight) if you grill or broil it so the fat drains off real good. a 10 ounce hamburger steak is only 500 calories.

Top sirloin steak is only 55 calories an ounce and it is only that if you eat all the fat on the edges (I don't). Most other cuts of beef aren't bad either. The trick is to avoid the fat. The lean meat is just fine.

Wild sockeye salmon has between 60 and 70 calories an ounce, but the fat in it is very good for your heart because of the omega 3's.

Farm raised Atlantic salmon has between 40 and 50 calories an ounce.

Pacific cod is very lean at about 25 calories an ounce. This is what I would do if you are looking for an affordable alternative fish to salmon.

Pork loin if you trim the fat off around the edges is 30 calories an ounce-- the same as lean ham and pork tenderloin.

Boneless skinless chicken breast is 28 calories an ounce.

1 large egg is 70 calories--not bad! But I discovered that if you use Egg Beaters, the egg equivalent (3 tablespoons) is only 25 calories. So 8 "eggs" is only 200 calories.

All that stuff gets steamed, baked, broiled, grilled, or pan fried. The trick to pan frying lean is to put a bit of oil in your cast iron pan and wipe the excess out with a paper towel. It will give you just enough oil to cook decent without adding excess calories to your food. But none of this answered your question. Next post i will get into some ways I like to cook my fish.
    -Thomas Paine
    I have been back to dieting since basically the beginning of the year and have lost 34 pounds so far. Actually re-lost is a better way of saying it. Anyway, in order to get away with eating enough so I don't feel like I am starving, my tactic has been to go with lean meats and lots of veggies-- cutting out quite a bit of the excessive fat and carbs. Some of my tricks for meals meat wise:

1/2 of a 14oz package of turkey smoked sausage is only 350 calories. I put that in a low carb tortilla (50 calories) along with some mustard and sauerkraut.

1 can of tuna in water is 100 calories and a tablespoon of light mayo is 35 calories. So 2 cans of tuna and 2T of mayo with some dill relish is only 270 calories. I eat that in some lettuce wraps.

Ballpark makes all white meat turkey hotdogs that are 45 calories each. I eat 4 of those in a couple of those tortillas with mustard, ketchup, and onions, and relish. 300 calories total.

Most boneless hams are very lean and only 30 calories an ounce. That means that a 10 ounce ham steak is 300 calories.

A whole pound of shrimp (precooked weight) is only 320 calories.

80/20 ground beef is only 50 calories an ounce (precooked weight) if you grill or broil it so the fat drains off real good. a 10 ounce hamburger steak is only 500 calories.

Top sirloin steak is only 55 calories an ounce and it is only that if you eat all the fat on the edges (I don't). Most other cuts of beef aren't bad either. The trick is to avoid the fat. The lean meat is just fine.

Wild sockeye salmon has between 60 and 70 calories an ounce, but the fat in it is very good for your heart because of the omega 3's.

Farm raised Atlantic salmon has between 40 and 50 calories an ounce.

Pacific cod is very lean at about 25 calories an ounce. This is what I would do if you are looking for an affordable alternative fish to salmon.

Pork loin if you trim the fat off around the edges is 30 calories an ounce-- the same as lean ham and pork tenderloin.

Boneless skinless chicken breast is 28 calories an ounce.

1 large egg is 70 calories--not bad! But I discovered that if you use Egg Beaters, the egg equivalent (3 tablespoons) is only 25 calories. So 8 "eggs" is only 200 calories.

All that stuff gets steamed, baked, broiled, grilled, or pan fried. The trick to pan frying lean is to put a bit of oil in your cast iron pan and wipe the excess out with a paper towel. It will give you just enough oil to cook decent without adding excess calories to your food. But none of this answered your question. Next post i will get into some ways I like to cook my fish.
    -Thomas Paine
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Folks have different preferences on fish based on flavor and texture so a manner of cooking it needs some info. An easy recipe for baking, grilling, or pan frying many species of firmer flesh fish is to marinate it in Italian salad dressing for a few hours and then cook it.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me