Scored a smokepole turkey and tagged out in Nebraska!

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 6,982 Senior Member
edited April 28 in Hunting #1
I've been itching to fill my final Nebraska turkey tag with my 20 GA Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading flintlock fowler.  So, I got together with a co-worker this morning and we took his boat to some remote public land.  The area has a bunch of birds, but the walk-in accessible portion gets a decent amount of pressure.  The back side - only easily accessible by boat - sees virtually no pressure.  Going to this side would make for an excellent hunt.

My hunting partner started off calling for me and did a fine job.  With my decoys out in front of us and the bird distracted by his rubber lover, he ultimately lured this bird into just 20 yards, the sweet spot for my 20 GA fowler.  It goes without saying that 70 gr. of Goex FFg authentic black powder and 1+1/8 oz. of # 7.5 shot at that range was instantly lethal.  

This bird was a "tween": he had a stub beard, spurs that were only 3/8" long and the last set of his fan feathers were not quite even with the rest.  It made no difference - I was extremely happy to have finally put a turkey down with this gorgeous gun.

A few minutes after we collected my bird and let the woods settle, I jumped on my new Matt van Cise custom box call to try and return the favor for my co-worker.  We moved away from our spot by only about 50 yards when my calling was answered by some very distant birds.  We decided that we had a great spot where I had just shot my bird, with lots of shooting lanes, so it only made sense to fall back and call these new birds right back there.  

I took my dead bird and faced him toward the approaching gobbles.  Then I took a stick and leaned it in his fan to prop it up in order to use him as a strutter to accompany my inflatable Avian-X breeder hen decoy.  It worked like a charm.  For the first time ever, my calls actually out-worked a real hen who was trying to lure the inbound bachelor group to her!  After a long wait, the gobblers showed up inside of 25 yards, and my buddy laid the smack down, killing not one, but TWO mature birds with one shot, and filling his last two tags!  

It was an amazing day.  We were both completely tagged out for the 2018 Nebraska Spring turkey season by 9 AM!  

Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,293 Senior Member
    Nice birds and hunt-----hey
    This message has been deleted
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 10,091 Senior Member
    Dang, you are having a good month, the twofer is pretty cool also, your kids are going to be tired of turkey for dinner!
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,178 Senior Member
    Nicely done! Doesn't need to be a longbeard to be a trophy when you're working with a flinter
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,007 Senior Member
    Not just another flash in the pan.👍
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,703 Senior Member
    Good looking gun, good looking turkey.  Your gun is a lefty?  You should post this on the muzzle loading forums. 
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,982 Senior Member
    CHIRO1989 said:
    Dang, you are having a good month, the twofer is pretty cool also, your kids are going to be tired of turkey for dinner!
    This has been - no joke - my best turkey season ever (and I may not be done).  There's so much meat in the chest freezer already that I HAVE to cook some tonight.
    Jayhawker said:
    Nicely done! Doesn't need to be a longbeard to be a trophy when you're working with a flinter
    You ain't kiddin!  Killing one of these birds is hard enough.  Doing it with a flinter and diminishing your max range to 25-28 yards with no choke/small shot is a true achievement.  I was damned proud of this bird.
    Not just another flash in the pan.👍
    No, sir.  No flash.  I put a fresh flint on this morning before I left just to be sure that spark would be stout.  Flints are too cheap to try and stretch an old one into a hunt.
    Gene L said:
    Good looking gun, good looking turkey.  Your gun is a lefty?  You should post this on the muzzle loading forums. 
    Yes, indeed - this gun is a lefty.  I did post this one on a PA hunting forum in their traditional section.  Those guys love seeing stuff come together with traditional smokepoles.

• Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,703 Senior Member
    That turkey has got more hair than you!   :smile:
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
    Can’t argue there!
    edited April 29 #10
    By the way, this is the loading method I used with my gun.  The cornmeal muffin mix works amazingly well to tighten up patterns and make an effective mid-range turkey gun out of a cylinder bore flinter:

http://www.caywoodguns.com/working-up-turkey-loads.html

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,887 Senior Member
    Well done Luis, and congrats
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Thanks, Paul!  This was one heck of a fun hunt.  
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,121 Senior Member
    Once again, nicely done. Can't help but drool a little bit when I see that smooth bore.
    Congrats on another well executed hunt.

Sako 
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,176 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:
    I've been itching to fill my final Nebraska turkey tag with my 20 GA Tennessee Valley Muzzleloading flintlock fowler.  So, I got together with a co-worker this morning and we took his boat to some remote public land.  The area has a bunch of birds, but the walk-in accessible portion gets a decent amount of pressure.  The back side - only easily accessible by boat - sees virtually no pressure.  Going to this side would make for an excellent hunt.

My hunting partner started off calling for me and did a fine job.  With my decoys out in front of us and the bird distracted by his rubber lover, he ultimately lured this bird into just 20 yards, the sweet spot for my 20 GA fowler.  It goes without saying that 70 gr. of Goex FFg authentic black powder and 1+1/8 oz. of # 7.5 shot at that range was instantly lethal.  

This bird was a "tween": he had a stub beard, spurs that were only 3/8" long and the last set of his fan feathers were not quite even with the rest.  It made no difference - I was extremely happy to have finally put a turkey down with this gorgeous gun.

A few minutes after we collected my bird and let the woods settle, I jumped on my new Matt van Cise custom box call to try and return the favor for my co-worker.  We moved away from our spot by only about 50 yards when my calling was answered by some very distant birds.  We decided that we had a great spot where I had just shot my bird, with lots of shooting lanes, so it only made sense to fall back and call these new birds right back there.  

I took my dead bird and faced him toward the approaching gobbles.  Then I took a stick and leaned it in his fan to prop it up in order to use him as a strutter to accompany my inflatable Avian-X breeder hen decoy.  It worked like a charm.  For the first time ever, my calls actually out-worked a real hen who was trying to lure the inbound bachelor group to her!  After a long wait, the gobblers showed up inside of 25 yards, and my buddy laid the smack down, killing not one, but TWO mature birds with one shot, and filling his last two tags!  

It was an amazing day.  We were both completely tagged out for the 2018 Nebraska Spring turkey season by 9 AM! 
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Man, you two are a heck of a team! Great hunt and that smoke poll has some absolutely beautiful wood. Only one thing, your lock seems to be on the wrong side of your rifle.....
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,176 Senior Member
    Man, y'all make a great team. Three Toms in a short spell. Great calling and shooting.

And that Smoke poll has some really nice wood. Only problem the lock seems to be mislocated!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited April 29 #16
    sakodude said:
    Once again, nicely done. Can't help but drool a little bit when I see that smooth bore.

Sako 
    I can honestly say that, months after the purchase, there are no regrets on paying a little more for that gun.  It's one of those things that brings a smile to your face every time you see it in the safe.
    snake284 said:
    Man, y'all make a great team. Three Toms in a short spell. Great calling and shooting.

And that Smoke poll has some really nice wood. Only problem the lock seems to be mislocated!
    He and I had never hunted together before yesterday.  He did an excellent job calling for me, and he expressed the same feeling about my work on the call.  We both came away with pretty big admiration for each other's abilities after this one.  We talked about the stuff that we learned from each other on this particular morning and that this is something we will definitely be doing again next season.   

edited April 29 #17
    I guess it would be appropriate to show off that Matt van Cise call that called in those 4 Toms, while we’re discussing this hunt.  Matt makes custom, lather-turned strikers and custom box calls that look and sound great.

While he makes a bunch of wood combinations for his boxes, this particular call is a combination of dymondwood and flame box elder that features a cool, pink figure through it.  It has a ton of volume and great pitch control.

sakodude said:

Sako 
    Believe me, one of my favorite things to do when I pop this gun out of the safe is simply look at it.  There's times when you simply know you've made a great investment, and this gun represents one of those times.  It shoots true with both shot and round balls, and looks great to boot.  
    snake284 said:

This was our first time ever hunting together.  I was very impressed with his calling, and he expressed the same feeling about mine.  Getting 5 birds total to come into our setup - the majority of which came in after one bird was already killed in the same spot - tells us that we definitely did something right.

Both of us learned things from each other yesterday and that's always a good thing.  I don't think there's any question that we'll be hunting together again next season.  
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,091 Senior Member
    Once again Awesome hunt.  And I thought hunting turkeys with a modern shotgun was difficult.  You rocked it with a smokepole!
    And your partner getting two with one trigger pull has me shaking my head. 
    Congrats to you both
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Thanks, Diver - yeah, he lined those two up perfectly.  It helped that they had to pass through a brush funnel to get to us, so much so that he had to give them a second to separate before he shot to avoid hitting more than the two he was legal to take.  

The execution for his kill (s) could not have gone  better, he made a perfect shot and that was the furthest out I believe that I've ever called a bird in from, let alone an entire bachelor flock.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,405 Senior Member
    Every time I see pics of that gun I have to wipe drool off my iPad.  Great hunt brother!
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Every time I see pics of that gun I have to wipe drool off my iPad.  Great hunt brother!

We need to get you out to Nebraska so you can check it out in person, buddy!
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,405 Senior Member
    Six-Gun said:

We need to get you out to Nebraska so you can check it out in person, buddy!
    Man that would be awesome!!!  After the last 3 years I've had I need a "few fresh" air days...  we'll see what happens after this summer when we are done with what became our new normal.  
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,331 Senior Member
    Way to go Luis!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    Thanks!!  This was a major box check.
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,672 Senior Member
    Congratulations Luis, well done!  Any wild game flavored with black powder is special.....robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
    Thanks, Robin!  Agreed about getting game with the BP firearms.  It's a different game altogether.