NRA Meeting in Dallas

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberPosts: 992 Senior Member
I am a NRA life member.  If I wanted to attend the meeting, do I need anything special to get in and would it be worth my time?

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,738 Senior Member
    I don't know, I don't think so though

Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,256 Senior Member
    Its the best gun show there is.  Nothing except shot show is close.  Bring your NRA card and some comfortable shoes.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • conchokidconchokid Administrator Posts: 500 Senior Member
    That's correct.
    Go to nraam.org for more information. That's "NRA Annual Meetings." If you've never been to one, it's worth the crowds and the walking.

• Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,662 Senior Member
    Trump will be addressing the membership there.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,270 Senior Member
    I’d almost like to go just to see the supposed protests.

The Dallas mayor pro tem talked about wanting to move it after the Parkland shooting so he stirred the protestor pot. You gotta think quite a few groups will have to thump their chests a say they going to Dallas to protest. Wonder if Heir Hogg has enough fame left to make some form of appearance be it in Dallas or more likely via TV?

Anyway Dallas is to big and crowded already ... much less an NRA Convention hotel prices and availability ... for me to really want to make it a “vacation”. If I lived within say a 3 hour drive I’d think about it but I didn’t even go back in 2010 when it was in Charlotte NC though.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,168 Senior Member
    I live about 50 miles from Dallas.  I'm not going.  I'm a long time NRA member, but it strikes me as more hassle than it's worth.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    There's no hassle.  You park, walk in and show your NRA card they give you a badge a you spend hours and hours drooling over stuff, new and old and collecting SWAG.  Protestors are blocks away.

They do it in Nashville again, I'm spending the weekend up there.

• CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,971 Senior Member
    We had a great time when it was in MN, we got to meet Dick Casull.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    Dallas is 5-6 hours up the road. Then hotel prices will be almost as much as a down payment o'dn a small house. Naw, I'd love to go, but I'm not up to the hassle.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    BAMAAK said:
    There's no hassle.  You park, walk in and show your NRA card they give you a badge a you spend hours and hours drooling over stuff, new and old and collecting SWAG.  Protestors are blocks away.

When's the last time you drove on the Dallas - Ft. Worth freeway system?  That alone defines hassle.
    Jerry

6 or 7 years ago.  Its better than Houston or Atlanta by far.

I've driven in Houston, but not Atlanta.  There's been a lot of changes to Dallas - Ft. Worth freeways in the last few years, and they have made a proper mess of it.
    Jerry

• Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 992 Senior Member
    BAMAAK said:
    Its the best gun show there is.  Nothing except shot show is close.  Bring your NRA card and some comfortable shoes.
    I’ll be there tomorrow.  Hoping to get a picture with 22Plinkster.
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 992 Senior Member
    edited May 4 #16

snake284 said:
    Dallas is 5-6 hours up the road. Then hotel prices will be almost as much as a down payment o'dn a small house. Naw, I'd love to go, but I'm not up to the 
    Why not stay South of the City? Waxahachie and Waco should have cheap rooms and aren’t that far away.

I am going to get there using the DART trains from a Park/Ride station in Plano.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,281 Senior Member
    I went to the ones in Nashville and Charlotte. It's definitely worth the traffic hassle. Got lots of free stuff at both from the vendors displaying their wares.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,071 Senior Member
    I've been to a couple. Never went out of my way and probably wouldn't. Was decent. Everyone in the industry showing off all the best toys. Can't buy anything, but fun to look at everything. 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,132 Senior Member
    edited May 6 #19

snake284 said:
    Dallas is 5-6 hours up the road. Then hotel prices will be almost as much as a down payment o'dn a small house. Naw, I'd love to go, but I'm not up to the 
    Why not stay South of the City? Waxahachie and Waco should have cheap rooms and aren’t that far away.

I am going to get there using the DART trains from a Park/Ride station in Plano.

Now you got me wishing I would have gone. Heck; I bet I could have gotten a nice room in Plano and caught that train. Oh well, maybe next yearor rather next time it's in Texas.

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.