JermanatorJermanator Senior MemberPosts: 14,344 Senior Member
Apparently, it smells like rotten eggs.

https://www.space.com/40374-uranus-clouds-smell-rotten-eggs.html

Who would have thought it?

Replies

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 2,282 Senior Member
    That figures🏃
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,920 Senior Member
    If the astro-nuts that go there checking the place out and  need fuel, that would make some dandy stuff for that purpose! It burns pretty good! :p
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,227 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    If the astro-nuts that go there checking the place out and  need fuel, that would make some dandy stuff for that purpose! It burns pretty good! :p

They're have to bring their own matches, though.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,519 Senior Member
    Are they sayin that sheet stanks.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 1,547 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Just don't get toooo close to the Vortex of Evil!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "Facts are stubborn things and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of the facts and evidence" — John Adams
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,996 Senior Member
    Beer & eggs will give you gas around Uranus every time.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 27,815 Senior Member
    My wife could have told them that for free...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,227 Senior Member

Reminds me of the joke about what the Star Ship Enterprise and toilet paper have in comment.

They both circle Uranus searching for Klingons.

Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,045 Senior Member
    I'll take their word for it.
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,034 Senior Member
     Are there rings around Uranus?
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 38,843 Senior Member
     Are there rings around Uranus?
    Won't be after tonight. It's bath night. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee

The Gas Around Uranus...

Are they sayin that sheet really stanks....................

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Big Chief said:

The Gas Around Uranus...

Are they sayin that sheet really stanks....................

That particular gas is highly corrosive, which explains why men's underwear ends up with holes in a certain area. Thumbs up animated emoticon

SIGgal said:
    I have to wash a mans underwear. I honestly think that highly corrosive gas is the least of the issues lol. 

Sometimes there are entrained solids that are expelled with the gas. Especially the Wed. after Taco Tuesday! :D

SIGgal said:
    I do believe that would be a shart lol. 
    No, you misunderstand. The solids are just flakes, call them asteroids stuck around Uranus that get blown loose by the explosive force of expelled gas. They collect sweat and make those unsightly 'skid marks'. :D And guys tend to scratch what itches, so it gets spread around. Guys can be gross, and the ladies have to deal with that, from time to time, on occasion, because guys are not all that fastidious by nature, mostly. :smile:

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,268 Senior Member
    edited May 1 #17
    H2So4 is some bad stuff. We dealt with it a lot and were trained to respond to it if released to the atmosphere. One thing we were taught, if you had reason to go into a cloud of it (Hydrogen Sulfide) for rescue or maybe to manipulate a valve or whatever, you must wear fresh air equipment, Scott Air Pack, hosed air whatever, you cannot hold your breath and enter an H2SO4 Cloud and hope to survive. It is heavier than air and will go down your into your lungs through your nose or mouth. Then you're dead and it doesn't take much. This is all dependent on the concentration. But a very little bit of it will kill you. And once the concentration reaches a certain level you can't smell it. It's some nasty stuff. Unless you had on supplied breathing air from some source you would never make it very far into Uranus's atmosphere. The moral of the story is "Don't go sniffing around Uranus!"
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    edited May 1 #18
    Apparently, it smells like rotten eggs.

https://www.space.com/40374-uranus-clouds-smell-rotten-eggs.html

Who would have thought it?

There is a window of Parts Per Million where you can smell it. Below that level (.010) you can't smell it. Above 100 PPM you begin to lose sense of smell.

Here's the skinny on it.

https://www.osha.gov/SLTC/hydrogensulfide/hazards.html

0.01-1.5

Odor threshold (when rotten egg smell is first noticeable to some). Odor becomes more offensive at 3-5 ppm. Above 30 ppm, odor described as sweet or sickeningly sweet.

2-5

Prolonged exposure may cause nausea, tearing of the eyes, headaches or loss of sleep. Airway problems (bronchial constriction) in some asthma patients.

Possible fatigue, loss of appetite, headache, irritability, poor memory, dizziness.

50-100

Slight conjunctivitis ("gas eye") and respiratory tract irritation after 1 hour. May cause digestive upset and loss of appetite.

Coughing, eye irritation, loss of smell after 2-15 minutes (olfactory fatigue). Altered breathing, drowsiness after 15-30 minutes. Throat irritation after 1 hour. Gradual increase in severity of symptoms over several hours. Death may occur after 48 hours.

100-150

Loss of smell (olfactory fatigue or paralysis).

200-300

Marked conjunctivitis and respiratory tract irritation after 1 hour. Pulmonary edema may occur from prolonged exposure.

500-700

Staggering, collapse in 5 minutes. Serious damage to the eyes in 30 minutes. Death after 30-60 minutes.

700-1000

Rapid unconsciousness, "knockdown" or immediate collapse within 1 to 2 breaths, breathing stops, death within minutes.

1000-2000

Nearly instant death

If you can smell it it probably won't kill you.

Not real fast anyway.

Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Luling Texas smells like Uranus.
    edited May 1 #20
    Don't know if its true, but a few years ago a guy in India supposedly died from his own farts............in a small room with plastic over the windows.................I do know you are what you eat is true (or at least smell like it)...........in Afghanistan there were these Islanders on base.........the port a johns they used you could smell from 25 feet away and it smelled just like the food they ate.

Huey, Dewy, Louie and Pooey..........................Mierda animated emoticon

Don't give away all the family 'Secrets' SIGgal.
    Big Chief said:
    Don't know if its true, but a few years ago a guy in India supposedly died from his own farts............in a small room with plastic over the windows.................I do know you are what you eat is'em  true (or at least smell like it)...........in Afghanistan there were these Islanders on base.........the port a johns they used you could smell from 25 feet away and it smelled just like the food they ate

Huey, Dewy, Louie and Pooey.........................
    Chief, Mierda is the real word for Poo in Spanish. CaCa is the crude form. The French word for the same is Mierd pronounced Mad with a short A or Merd in some circles, maybe depending on accent I guess. I'm no linguist but being raised in this part of Texas we're exposed to a lot of weird stuff language wise. In my youth (late teens and 20s I worked around a lot of cajuns We called 'em **** A... from Louisiana and learned all the wordy Dirds. I  thought I was a fairly international dude before I ever got on the plane. Well, I found out I really wasn't and leared a lot through the years, most of which I can't relay on here without a ban.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 14,287 Senior Member
    SIGgal said:
    tennmike said:
    SIGgal said:
    Guys can be gross, and the ladies have to deal with that, from time to time, on occasion, because guys are not all that fastidious by nature, mostly. :smile:
    Ya think? Lol! I suppose if we choose to love such vile beasts, deal we must. Jason will scratch his butt and smell his gross fingers. Sometimes I wonder what makes y’all tick lol.
    He really ought to talk to somebody about that....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    New meaning to the phrase 'Scratch and Sniff'

Black Cat Scratching the screen animated emoticonItchy Rashes animated emoticon
    SIGgal said:
    tennmike said:
    SIGgal said:
    Guys can be gross, and the ladies have to deal with that, from time to time, on occasion, because guys are not all that fastidious by nature, mostly. :smile:
    Ya think? Lol! I suppose if we choose to love such vile beasts, deal we must. Jason will scratch his butt and smell his gross fingers. Sometimes I wonder what makes y’all tick lol.
    Guys normally grow out of that 'scratch and sniff' by the time they get to 4th grade..............................mostly. :D