911 and self defense

CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior MemberPosts: 4,544 Senior Member
The 14 year old kid has already dispatched one home invader. He’s on the phone with 911.

'Do not, while I’m on the phone, do not fire that firearm, OK?' the dispatcher says

'What if another one comes in the house, ma'am?' he asked.

'Let me know, OK, if you see anybody. I will let you know (when a deputy gets to the house),' the dispatcher responded.

This may be the worst advice I’ve ever heard, with potentially lethal consequences.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2082698/Boy-14-kills-intruder-Michael-Henderson-gang-FOUR-men-try-break-house.html
The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand

Replies

• KSU FirefighterKSU Firefighter Senior Member Posts: 3,244 Senior Member
    I find it beyond funny that they are no longer accepting comments on the story. Guess too many people were in support of the young man and what he did.
    The fire service needs a "culture of extinguishment not safety" Ray McCormack FDNY
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,345 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    The 14 year old kid has already dispatched one home invader. He’s on the phone with 911.

This may be the worst advice I’ve ever heard, with potentially lethal consequences.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2082698/Boy-14-kills-intruder-Michael-Henderson-gang-FOUR-men-try-break-house.html

I agree, to a point. I believe what the dispatcher was trying to say was that deputies were either there and ready to enter the house, or that they soon would be. Instead of saying "don't shoot", I think a simple warning to avoid shooting the wrong person would have been much better.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    I am not surprised, I am sure folks in the U.K. may be getting ideas contrary to what their Government feels is good for their subjects and better for the criminals.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,345 Senior Member
    DoctorWho wrote: »
    I am not surprised, I am sure folks in the U.K. may be getting ideas contrary to what their Government feels is good for their subjects and better for the criminals.

North Carolina Doc, not U.K.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,045 Senior Member
    I am glad that the kid and his sister came out of that safely. As far as telling the boy not to shoot-- I am also hoping that the dispatcher meant it to mean that deputies were almost there. If that weren't the case, than that was some potentially lethal advise for the wrong people.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,544 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    I am glad that the kid and his sister came out of that safely. As far as telling the boy not to shoot-- I am also hoping that the dispatcher meant it to mean that deputies were almost there. If that weren't the case, than that was some potentially lethal advise for the wrong people.

The dispatcher was not warning the boy about deputies, as the 911 conversation was only seconds old:
    In the call, the teen, says: 'I just shot the man. He came around the corner. I shot him. He broke the whole glass out (of the back door).'

He continues: 'I don't know how many it was (who broke in). Just one came around the corner. I got one more in the chamber. I'm going to shoot again,' the boy said.

'Do not, while I’m on the phone, do not fire that firearm, OK?' the dispatcher says

'What if another one comes in the house, ma'am?' he asked.

'Let me know, OK, if you see anybody. I will let you know (when a deputy gets to the house),' the dispatcher responded.

As the boy and his sister waited for deputies to arrive, he told the dispatcher that he was 'perfectly fine', but his sister was 'really shaken up'.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    A phone call or a dispatcher on the phone will not stop some _____ that has broke in to your home bent on doing you and yours harm. The S.O.P. for my family is hunker down, call 911 and relay the necessary information after that lay the phone down and deal with it as the situation dictates. I am not going to be distracted by anything when I have a threat in my home especially when they are miles away in a safe place while me and mine are in real danger ... It just ain't gonna happen!
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "North Carolina Doc, not U.K."

Many of the positive comments, the pro self defense ones were from the U.K.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,656 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    I'm seeing it differently.
    If you look, the kid had already said, "I got one more in the chamber. I'm going to shoot again"
    I did a "print screen" from the article and highlighted that

article.jpg

So in that context, I see it as very GOOD advice.
    Apparently the robbers took off after the first shot, so a second shot would either be a coup de grace on the one he'd already shot, or shooting another one in the back as he ran away.

In most states, either action would turn it from a legit self defense shooting into a criminal act.

So, taken out of context, I agree it SOUNDS like horrible advice. When you put it in context with what the young man just told the dispatcher, it makes a LOT of sense IMO.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.