17 hornet

big elkbig elk MemberPosts: 107 Member
Is anyone shooting a 17 hornet ?  I'm thinking of getting  a 17 hornet rifle but when I started to lookup components for reloading it seems that brass is hard to find and is expensive.  I plan on doing dog huntting plus plinking/target shooting.  Anyone have an opinion on this cartridge ?  

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,104 Senior Member
    big elk said:
    Is anyone shooting a 17 hornet ?  I'm thinking of getting  a 17 hornet rifle but when I started to lookup components for reloading it seems that brass is hard to find and is expensive.  I plan on doing dog huntting plus plinking/target shooting.  Anyone have an opinion on this cartridge ?  
    As for me there's only one Hornet, the .22 Hornet.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,569 Senior Member
    Tennmike is your huckleberry.
    I'm pretty sure he has one and likes it.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,737 Senior Member
    Don't have one but I'm sure .22 Hornet cases would be easy to reform!
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,565 Senior Member
    You have to neck down the .22 Hornet case and then blow it out to fit the chamber.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,104 Senior Member
    edited May 7 #6
    Everybody talks about this or that cartridge being the most versatile. To me the .22 Hornet is the most versatile. Before laws got crazy strict the Hornet was used to take about every game animal. If it was real big and tough the hunter just got closer. I remember in the 50s and 60s I heard of more than one deer falling to it. It filled many a freezer with hardly any recoil and was very accurate and not so loud, and it was cheap to feed too. It's not the size, it's how you use it. Shot Placement is your friend.

OK, I know this thread isn't about the .22 Hornet, but it's about a Hornet so it got me to thinking.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,993 Senior Member
    Weatherby said:
    Tennmike is your huckleberry.
    I'm pretty sure he has one and likes it.
    I have a .17 K-Hornet. Wildcat cartridge. I like it a lot because it's FAST and accurate. I HATE reloading for it, though. Those teeny tiny 17 grain bullets are hard to deal with when reloading; I use plastic tweezers to hold them when starting them in the seating die!
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 698 Senior Member
    Don't own or reload for one but was lucky enough to get to play with one at the range. Pure joy to shoot. It's really fun to pull the trigger and watch the bullet hit a four inch target at 200 yds. Virtually no recoil. His was a very accurate setup but we had to deal with about 4" of drift in a very light wind. 

Hawk
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,993 Senior Member
    Another thing about reloading for .17 cal. You need a specific funnel made for the .17 cal., and a clear plastic one is the best. You don't just 'dump a charge' into the funnel, either! That small hole in the funnel AND the case neck will stop up RIGHT NOW with most powders so you pour it in slowly to let it squeak through those small holes in funnel and case without bridging, and it WILL bridge if you just dump the charge in.

What Hawk18 said about the recoil is true. No real recoil. My rifle is a T/C Contender with a medium sporter contour. It's light to start with, but when you fire you can watch the bullet hit the target through the scope. And ANY wind is your sworn enemy shooting those light bullets.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.