The last person to post in this thread wins a brick of .22 ammo

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,558 Senior Member
    So just spin it up by hand!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    tennmike said:
    Motor start capacitor on my milling machine took a crap. I was about half way through doing what I needed to do. Called around and NOBODY has one that will replace the one I have. Marvelous.................................So I got 2 on order, and thankfully my mini milling machine can handle what needs to be done. I'm not sure I'll have anything home built for the Shoot, though. I hate it when crap like this happens! Swearing Rage animated emoticon
    Can you steal one off another piece of equipment?  Did that once to get a horizontal bandsaw running- stole the cap off of a table saw to finish the cuts. 
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,136 Senior Member
    I used to use a cane pole years ago because the carpenter bees stayed too high for a racket, once that high
    infestation was covered by ALU, they moved down to tennis racket height. I'd get about a 100 a season with the racket.

The bees mostly were coming from an old shed next door, the shed was removed and I only got 28 this year.

The cane pole, while not efficient; allowed several swings at each bee and just as many were hit on the up swing as the down swing. 
    I have a need for speed
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,705 Senior Member
    Ned bee a swinger...............
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,136 Senior Member
    Just sitting on the porch a swanging 
    I have a need for speed
    I'm telling you. Sometimes things are just ridiculously hard when they shouldn't be. I need a PVC "Conduit body" - sometimes called a "pull box", type LR, size 2 inch. EVERYBODY, even Homeless Despot, has them in type LB. Quite a few have them in type LL, but very few do in LR, and those that do are either out of stock or want $45 for one. Or I find exactly what I need, but its 1/2" or 1-14" or anything but 2! Finally found one at Grainger, a "universal" do-dah that you assemble into whatever configuration you need for $20. I'd rather have the "real" version, all the covers involved with the universal part sounds like an invitation for leaks - but that's a "plan B" if needed. Will head over to our local Consolidated Electric tomorrow and see what they can tell me.

Search engines are increasingly useless, returning results that have absolutely nothing to do with the search terms entered, Amazon's is particularly bad. Heuristics can be a very good thing, it was Amazon's heuristic search engine that figured out what I actually wanted - but now that I know, it won't return the results I need. What the Hell do lengths of 1/2" flex have to do with what I'm looking for? There needs to be a way to force all search engines to a strict Boolean search...

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,978 Senior Member
    edited May 9 #29708
    Can you steal one off another piece of equipment?  Did that once to get a horizontal bandsaw running- stole the cap off of a table saw to finish the cuts. 
    This particular motor takes a particularly odd capacitor in the mfd range, a 145-174 mfd cap. I have plenty of lower mfd capacitors, and some a good bit higher in the same 220-250v range, but nothing  even ballpark to 145-174 mfd, and they are NOT motor start capacitors, so using one would be sort of 'iffy'.

Finished the funky part I was working on when the mill went ta-tas up. One tooth spanner wrench for a one tooth barrel nut.

I can 'maybe' use the tabletop mill for finishing the brass receiver. Gonna be slow as STP at the North Pole in January, though. Nothing substitutes for H.P. and a rigid quill, table, and vise setup.

If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 462 Member
    I’ve been worried about my Bridgeport. And for a disclaimer before I continue :I know squat about electrical matters:
    The phase converter on the back of the mill clicks like hell anytime I shut the mill off. I had a friend that knows a little tell me that it could be searching for a better ground. I haven’t a clue, but it works for now and it’s done this for the years I’ve owned it.
    I’ve been worried about my Bridgeport. And for a disclaimer before I continue :I know squat about electrical matters:
    The phase converter on the back of the mill clicks like hell anytime I shut the mill off. I had a friend that knows a little tell me that it could be searching for a better ground. I haven’t a clue, but it works for now and it’s done this for the years I’ve owned it.
    There's a whole sackful of different phase converters out there. Your particular one may have either a large relay or contactor making the loud clicking noise.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 462 Member
    It clicks off and on about 20 times quickly when I shut it off. No idea what’s going on in there.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,705 Senior Member
    Relays going bad or just doing what they are supposed to do?
    http://www.homemetalshopclub.org/projects/phconv/phconv.html

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 5,994 Senior Member
    It clicks off and on about 20 times quickly when I shut it off. No idea what’s going on in there.
    Just a guess because I have zero experience with phase converters but it could be as the capacitors bled down one of the control relays is closing and opening. A resistor/ diode, I can’t remember exactly which component, should soak that up and keep the relay from closing. 
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    zorba said:
    Granddaughter likes something called "Peppa Pig". Just shoot me now...
    She was watching something called "Word Party" the other day. Made me reminisce longingly about "Peppa Pig". GAK!

edited May 10 #29716
    Peppa's head is shaped like a twig 'n berries.

There... now you will not be able to unsee that.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,539 Senior Member

I thought you tried to keep your face OFF of the interwebs, and here you are posting 5 pictures of yourself Bullsi...

Color me shocked... SHOCKED!!! I tell you :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,953 Senior Member
    Peppa's head is shaped like a twig 'n berries.

There... now you will not be able to unsee that.
    Kids are old enough I don't have/never did suffer that, and it won't mess with my head, but...I'll certainly pass this along. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    Thanx for the visual, guys...

NOT!!

I know CPJ is gonna say "I told you so." - and - he'd be right...

I went down to Consolidated Electrical Distributors to get the part I needed that nobody really had. The one that cost $24 or more. I got it at CED, plus a couple of other bits I needed and walked out of there for $10.73! Plus the guy behind the counter is worth the price of admission - what a sense of humor! I'll be back...

Why was I right? Because I said Lowes and Home Depot bend you over on EVERYTHING other than a few loss leader type electrical items?
    Zee
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 724 Senior Member
    It's simply the difference between retail (Lowe's & Homeless) and wholesale (CED).
    FIRST thing out of the wardens mouth when I walk in: 
    "I told you these chips were for supper. I told you not to eat all of them."
     I just walked on by, said nothing, went to the bathroom to pee, then grabbed my laundry to start it washing, because I'm obviously the only one capable. The children obviously are not. So here's the chips. Everyone who was eating chips had eaten  chips. And yet, even though I "ate all of them", there are still chips left. Who put the chips back? Was it the fairy **** godmother? Was it elves? Gnomes? Was it a magical **** bag of self replenishing chips? 

Zee
    cpj said:
    Why was I right? Because I said Lowes and Home Depot bend you over on EVERYTHING other than a few loss leader type electrical items?
    Pretty much!

• roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Sad news for anyone in the racing zone...

Today, Maynard Troyer passed away. A true revolutionary in the racing field; from modifieds to NASCAR. My dad bought a car from him, then he drove for us, and my dad got him to build up Troyer Engineering...great guy and family friend.

First car my dad bought from him...Mustang asphalt Mod...

Tough competitor...1971, Daytona, 18 flips and walked away.

Support your local Scouts!
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,120 Senior Member
    roadking said:
    Sad news for anyone in the racing zone...

Today, Maynard Troyer passed away. A true revolutionary in the racing field; from modifieds to NASCAR. My dad bought a car from him, then he drove for us, and my dad got him to build up Troyer Engineering...great guy and family friend.

First car my dad bought from him...Mustang asphalt Mod...

Tough competitor...1971, Daytona, 18 flips and walked away.

That's when racin was racin. Cars were not near as safe as they are now. Amazing he walked away. RIP.
    I know folks will think I'm crazy but a little rain wouldn't hurt. 22 rows of purple hulls coming up, green beans trying to. food plot corn field planted, soy beans getting planted in the other field soon. Hard to believe all the fields are dust bowls after all the rain we have had.
  • TrueTone911TrueTone911 Senior Member Posts: 6,022 Senior Member
    Yeah, weren't they recently getting washout out?
    I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
    Groucho Marx
    Yep. rotted in the ground. Replanted last Tuesday. 
    Yep. rotted in the ground. Replanted last Tuesday. 
    Crazy planting season this year. Had frost here right up to the end of April. That hasn't happened in a long time. That La Nina in the Pacific is messin' everything up. Little heifer is pitchin' a conniption fit! :)