Wolff Spring Kit/Ruger only .45 Colt loads/others

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 31,710 Senior Member
Well I wanted to verify that Wolff spring kit had no issues so I took out the Blackhawk this morn. No issues whatsoever with several .45 Colt and .45 ACP loads using REM/Win/CCI primers..........all went bang. It is a much better trigger pull now too. I put in the medium weight 40 oz trigger and 19# hammer spring kit.

Rear sight pin stayed in place too after I put some blue loctite on it after the first outing.

There was a bit of un-burnt powder in the Ruger Only 20.2 grains of 2400 powder I was firing some of today. I was using 250 Hornady XTPs. Yep, it is up there compared to regular loads, but at the low end. I don't need no mo power for my purposes.

The second +P load using Titegroup was much milder and and very accurate too. I was pushing 250 grain Accura plated FPs.

The Missouri Bullet Co polymer coated 255 grain 'Elmer K'  SWC bullets do very good with Unique and Titegroup for the regular loads @ 900 FPS or so.

All empty brass cases are more 'Smokey' in that Blackhawk than the Vaquero both .45 Colt and .45 ACP (which aren't in my 625). They will tumble clean though.

I ran a few mags of CCI 36 grain HP Mini Mags through the Buckmark too.

I had the Vaquero with me in case I had any issues with the new springs to fire regular loads through, but didn't fire it today.

I swapped cylinders and ran about 150 of my older reloads from the Blackhawk. They hit a tad lower, but all shot good. A combination of FMJ/Plated/Lead I wanted to shoot up.

Maybe I need to use a heavier crimp, I adjust the Lee Factory Crimp die then 1/2 turn for these, maybe a full turn would be better, but I had no issues of bullet pulling. I'm not sure a heavier crimp would help the powder burn any better???  But case mouth over belling and very heavy crimps will shorten case life and cause splits sooner because of working the brass so much.

Anyhow, I had fun. I plan on bringing the Blackhawk and Buckmark to the shoot.

All shootin @ 10 yds

First 18 shots Blackhawk regular loads

First Ruger only loads

Then I settled down with ROLs

Next swapped cylinders to .45 ACP..

Last, Buckmark

Bottom is Buckmark and top Blackhawk .45 ACP

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,710 Senior Member
    I did move the rear sight CCW to impact to the right one click... 3/4" part of that may be a natural tendency by me too. 
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,581 Senior Member
    Good shootin' there, Chief!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    zorba said:
    Good shootin' there, Chief!
    I aim to please................

I do OK, not great I reckon.
    Better than me!

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,473 Senior Member
    I get more unburnt powder from 2400 than H110. I think it's characteristic of flake powder, but I dont know.

If your concerened about the crimp, you can check the diameter of a loaded cartridge at the neck/mouth with the specification of the spec drawing. If its right, more crimp will superfluous.

I wish I could shoot that good when I grow up.🎯
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,212 Senior Member
    I also have two Rugers in .45 Colt and I discovered something odd between them last weekend. One is a stainless 3-3/4" birds head vaquero and the other is a stainless 3-3/4" Blackhawk bisley convertible with .45colt and .45acp cylinders. I took the birdshead to the SE shoot last year and the rounds that I loaded in a hurry were .084 too long and locked up the gun. I thought that I was going to have to pull them all but then I noticed that the Blackhawk cylinder looked a bit longer than the Vaquero and when I measured, the Vaquero cylinder was 1.609" long and the Blackhawk cylinder was 1.705" long. Up until then, I would have guessed that both guns were based on the same frame and cylinder.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    edited May 10 #8
    I also have two Rugers in .45 Colt and I discovered something odd between them last weekend. One is a stainless 3-3/4" birds head vaquero and the other is a stainless 3-3/4" Blackhawk bisley convertible with .45colt and .45acp cylinders. I took the birdshead to the SE shoot last year and the rounds that I loaded in a hurry were .084 too long and locked up the gun. I thought that I was going to have to pull them all but then I noticed that the Blackhawk cylinder looked a bit longer than the Vaquero and when I measured, the Vaquero cylinder was 1.609" long and the Blackhawk cylinder was 1.705" long. Up until then, I would have guessed that both guns were based on the same frame and cylinder.
    Yep, just laid my 3 cylinders side by side and it is very noticeable by eye. And with calipers I get just about the same as you did between my Blackhawk and New Vaquero.

Certain bullet profiles stick out more in the nose too. Like cast Truncated Cone ones.

I know my 686 has a longer cylinder than my one of my brothers GP-100s, my TC reloads fit in my 686 and fired and rotated just fine, but not in his GP-100.

I guess it pays to fit some test reloads into cylinders before you make a big batch for each model you plan to fire them from.

I usually do and check clearance at the cylinder face to make sure none are protruding and rotate the cylinder with a couple loaded if they are close to make sure they ain't dragging.

I have been known to load a big bunch up and just check them in one .357 or .44 cal S&W with no issues later when I fired them in different ones, though.

I guess we all need to pay closer attention to OAL especially when various makes in the same caliber will be fired using the same reloads.

I like some room up there to play with, extra.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,880 Senior Member
    Good shooten BC, glad it worked out the way you wanted.  Will have to check out yours and see if a spring kit is in my future. Mine is stock at the moment and I have no plans to change anything until it gets shot a lot more. Unless I like yours a lot mo betta
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    I'll bring regular ammo, mild +P and low end Ruger only you can try from mine and your gun too. 
    edited May 11 #11
    I remember that - I'd just forgotten who it was. This is probably a stupid question, but were your rounds really too long, or is the Vaquero cylinder just too darn short?

They (New Model Vaqueros) will chamber SAMMI spec ammo if the OAL is met. IOW all factory .45 Colt ammo, maybe not boutique stuff from small ammo makers, certain cast or specialty bullets that reloaders use.

I assume he has a newer Vaquero, not one of the older ones which were much more beefy like the Blackhawks.

Here is a good article with pics on the differences.

http://www.gunblast.com/Ruger-NewVaquero.htm

• FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,212 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    I remember that - I'd just forgotten who it was. This is probably a stupid question, but were your rounds really too long, or is the Vaquero cylinder just too darn short?

The rounds were too long. I had gotten the gun shortly before the shoot and didn't have time to cast bullets for it and just used some 230gr round nose bullets that I had on hand for my 1911's and when I seated them to the crimp groove, they ended up being 1.684" long and the COL for .45colt is 1.600. the Vaquero cylinder is 1.609 so there isn't much extra room.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me