New NRA President...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 16,581 Senior Member
... Oliver North.

Discuss.
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!

Replies

• LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,167 Senior Member
    I'm totally against it. Oh, wait....Marine Lt. Col... Ok. I'm okay with that. I'm really OK with that. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,473 Senior Member
    I should probly keep this to myself to avoid controversy.

I listened to Marion Hammer on the radio today. Part of her message was what I thought of as a pious critique of what she described as negligent parents being a big cause of gun violence. Maybe so, maybe not, I can't quantify that. I think the tired old message of vilifying the anti's is a dead end. All it does energize a minority base to no real long lasting purpose. It's my opinion that near the end of Charlton Heston's time, the NRA metastasized from a citizens gun rights lobby to a manufacturers gun rights lobby. If we want citizens rights we need more citizens that desire those rights, not an orchestrated culture war alienating citizens. I'd like to see Mr North make some changes. I'd like hear more logical illustration of how relinquishing individual rights won't have the desired outcome, as opposed to preaching a dogmatic and devisive disparagement of some spectral portion of society. I might renew my membership if I had confidence in citizens rights being lobbyied for.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,816 Senior Member
    I feel a new direction needed to be taken, we shall see. 
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,486 Senior Member
    Well, There is one thing for certain. COL North is a stand up guy and is not going to roll over when the going gets tough. He took a huge hit instead of rolling over on the CIA and the Reagan Administration.
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,341 Senior Member
    We know he will definitely take one for the team!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,303 Senior Member
    I have never heard of him doing anything before for gun rights or if he is a shooter, a strict constitutionalist, or anything.

is there any background with him and the RKBA?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov

I was mistaken, I thought he was a Full Bird before he was dragged through the mud.

He is a founder of the Freedom Alliance.

"To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,613 Senior Member
    .......................I might renew my membership if I had confidence in citizens rights being lobbyied for.
    They ARE suing the Florida Rick Scott administration for signing their new anti-gun law.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,581 Senior Member
    That's all well and good - but they need to be doing something about Commiefornia, New Yawk, and New Joisey. Forida is low hanging fruit, they need to chop down the entire tree!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,245 Senior Member
    North offers at least the experience of having to deal with political BS of DC ... all be it from the Regan era. He might also be one who would not follow all of LaPierre’s stuff but I thought Pete Brownell might as well but I think Brownell is just to nice and easy going. North could be a nice change and shot of adrenaline to get the next round of fighting for gun owners in the right direction. 
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    edited May 8 #12
    admittedly, I know hardly nothing about Lt. Col. North.  However, I do not think it is good optics to have an NRA president that was indicted, and had to cut an immunity deal when the NRA is being accused of putting guns in the hands of criminals.

However, it is weird that the day after one of the people that supplied guns to Iran becomes NRA President, Trump pulls out of the Iranian nuclear deal.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,070 Senior Member
    I think Ollie North performs the missions assigned to him with the best of his abilities. Anyone who listened to him during the Iran-Contra hearings should know that he is very capable, and a patriot. He was the cut-out for the higher-ups, and kept the faith. I suspect, but don't know to a certainty, that he is a Constitutional warrior, 2A included.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,993 Senior Member
    admittedly, I know hardly nothing about Lt. Col. North.  However, I do not think it is good optics to have an NRA president that was indicted, and had to cut an immunity deal when the NRA is being accused of putting guns in the hands of criminals.

However, it is weird that the day after one of the people that supplied guns to Iran becomes NRA President, Trump pulls out of the Iranian nuclear deal.
    ALL charges against him for the Iran/Contra thing were vacated and reversed, and the charges dismissed in 1991, as they should have been to start with. He took the hit rather than refuse to roll over on the others involved. He has both character and integrity, and is a good choice, IMHO. Highly decorated VN Vet, and founder of the Freedom Alliance like Centermass already said. I think he's a good choice and will fight for what's right for the NRA and the 2nd Amendment issues.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,201 Senior Member
    So does that mean Trump doesn't like him cause he prefers people who don't get caught or shot down?
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,104 Senior Member
    I'm totally against it. Oh, wait....Marine Lt. Col... Ok. I'm okay with that. I'm really OK with that. Mike
    WOW! Thought you were losin' it for a minute there...
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,104 Senior Member

That's got nothing to do with the price of tea in Hong Kong. Purely coincidence. Trump's wanted out of that stupid deal since before he got elected. It marked the height of Obummer's stupidity.

As for the NRA, they've been friends with Olie forever. He's been to the NRA convention more than Wayne La Pierre.  He's a total patriot and anybody that's worth a poo sandwich wouldn't hold anything against him for Iran Contra.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,290 Senior Member
    He lost me when he published a completely false claim that the Navy was pressing charges against the Sailors in the recruiting station attack that fought back. Blatantly made up statement to stir up controversy. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C

He lost me when he published a completely false claim that the Navy was pressing charges against the Sailors in the recruiting station attack that fought back. Blatantly made up statement to stir up controversy. 
    I that that was War Criminal West

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,290 Senior Member

Yep. My mistake. That's what I get for firing at the hip. Whoops. 

Nothing to see here, move along...
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
    edited May 11 #21
    tennmike said:

ALL charges against him for the Iran/Contra thing were vacated and reversed, and the charges dismissed in 1991, as they should have been to start with. He took the hit rather than refuse to roll over on the others involved. He has both character and integrity, and is a good choice, IMHO. Highly decorated VN Vet, and founder of the Freedom Alliance like Centermass already said. I think he's a good choice and will fight for what's right for the NRA and the 2nd Amendment issues.
    Yup.  But it's not about the truth or what really happened.  It's about positioning and optics.

http://fortune.com/2018/05/07/nra-oliver-north-president/

Gun safety organizations like Everytown for Gun Safety and the Brady Campaign Against Gun Violence responded to the news about North’s election to the NRA’s presidency by decrying the organization and North’s past scandals.
    “For an organization so concerned with law and order, picking a new leader who admitted that he lied to Congress is a truly remarkable decision,” Brady co-president Avery Gardiner said in a statement. “Now, the gun lobby—which has enshrined concealed carry reciprocity as one of its absolute top priorities—will be led by a man who’s own concealed carry permit was revoked because he was ‘not of good character.'”
    It's exactly like I thought would happen- The majority of people only know North because of Iran-Contra.  So, the Antis (which, oddly enough, is almost a direct translation of 'Contra') are able to use the lack of knowledge of the masses to look like the NRA is a shady organization.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,684 Senior Member
    Well, There is one thing for certain. COL North is a stand up guy and is not going to roll over when the going gets tough. He took a huge hit instead of rolling over on the CIA and the Reagan Administration.
    This.  I think he’s a good pick.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,130 Senior Member
    Was on Fox tonight. Says his new mission is 1,000,000 new members.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,684 Senior Member
    I think it’ll be a good thing to have a Marine leading the charge for a while.  I have no doubt he’ll hit his goal.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,710 Senior Member
    I support him, a good man and a good American.

Salute USA flag animated emoticon

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 6,613 Senior Member

Are you talking about Col. Allen West? I thought he was a good guy, who had saved some of his platoons lives under fire.
    I HAVE HATED COMMUNISTS EVEN BEFORE THEY CHANGED THEIR NAME TO LIBERALS AND PROGRESSIVES

“For an organization so concerned with law and order, picking a new leader who admitted that he lied to Congress is a truly remarkable decision,” Brady co-president Avery Gardiner said in a statement. “Now, the gun lobby—which has enshrined concealed carry reciprocity as one of its absolute top priorities—will be led by a man who’s own concealed carry permit was revoked because he was ‘not of good character.'”
    It's exactly like I thought would happen- The majority of people only know North because of Iran-Contra.  So, the Antis (which, oddly enough, is almost a direct translation of 'Contra') are able to use the lack of knowledge of the masses to look like the NRA is a shady organization.
    The NRA should not be concerned about picking a president that is palatable to the LEFT, the Lamestream Media, and low info people. THEY would only be happy if someone cut from the same nasty cloth as Dianne Feinstein were named NRA President, and the Directors, too. Picking a leader for the NRA that pleases the enemy is not a good thing to do.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,026 Senior Member
    Missed this thread originally. I'll just say it would have been nice to pick someone who wasn't an 80 year old white guy. The NRA needs someone with a vision for the future, not a ghost of the past. 
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    And to pick someone that did not support the original Assault Weapons ban
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    The 'perfect' is the enemy of the 'good'. Looking for and settling for no less than perfection in anything or anyone will leave you frustrated and empty handed.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,070 Senior Member
    Missed this thread originally. I'll just say it would have been nice to pick someone who wasn't an 80 year old white guy. The NRA needs someone with a vision for the future, not a ghost of the past. 
    I would agree, except that an NRA spokesman has to be a master at fending off the vicious character attacks of the Alinski - trained leftists. It takes about 40 years of heavy testing to find somebody with the guts and stamina to do that, day after day.

If the NRA could find a sleazy ambulance chasing 40 yo lawyer from Brooklyn that had recently had a patriotic epiphany, say about 5 minutes ago, that might work best.