A great day on the water

JayhawkerJayhawker ModeratorPosts: 13,969 Senior Member
Nowadays, I spend a lot more time on the oars than with a fly rod...so yesterday I coughed up the trespass fee on a lovely piece of water not far from the house....Spent the day with the owner, dredging nymphs and stripping streamers....until the clouds moved in and we switched to dry flies and THIS happened...
About 26 inches and FAT on a # 16 parachute emerger with a 8'6" 5 Wt rod and a 5X tippet
The biggest fly rod trout of my life

Then about 20 minutes later,it happened again and on a #14 Elk Hair Caddis, this fish was slightly smaller, but a still brawler
We also caught some nice smaller fish as well throughout the day.......Helluva good day!

Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"

Replies

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    What a couple of chunky looking chaps and the fish are nice also.

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,879 Senior Member
    Nice catching
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    edited May 15 #4
    Did you notice, I did not mention the ‘oars?

cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,080 Senior Member
    Sweet. 
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,644 Senior Member
    I hate you, a little. 
    Overkill is underrated.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,546 Senior Member
    Looks good Scott!
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,680 Senior Member
    NICE!!! 👍
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 9,812 Senior Member
    Dang, those are some nice fish.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,735 Senior Member
    WOW! Nice fish!! Bet they were fun to catch!!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,990 Senior Member
    Nice fish!
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Catch and release only, or do you keep a few for dinner ?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,133 Senior Member
    A 26 inch trout on a 5 wt. rod is a load.  Congrats on a great day on the water.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,969 Senior Member
    Diver43 said:
    Catch and release only, or do you keep a few for dinner ?
    When we are in the mood to eat trout, we go catch a few Brook Trout and fry them on a Coleman on the tailgate of the truck along with taters and onions....Those big toads are not the best eating so back they go...and this particular piece of water is catch and release, flys only water.......I bet you could raise absolute hell with some night crawlers...
    A 26 inch trout on a 5 wt. rod is a load.  Congrats on a great day on the water.
    That fight seemed to go on forever....she would go deep and just shake her head, you could feel it clear up in the butt of the rod...,then off she went on another blistering run...
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,680 Senior Member
    Jayhawker said:
    That fight seemed to go on forever....she would go deep and just shake her head, you could feel it clear up in the butt of the rod...,then off she went on another blistering run...
    Man I LOVE that feeling!!! 
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Knew the big ones were well cared for and released, but know that trout is some good eats also.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 8,686 Senior Member
    edited May 17 #18
    A shore lunch of freshly caught  trout or grayling is on my bucket list......
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 725 Senior Member

Nice!

I took my wife and daughters out fishing Saturday.  My wife caught a 19" bluefish and my two daughters caught a catfish apiece.  I caught.....nothing.  My excuse was that I was the charter captain and put my clients on the fish instead of catching them myself.  xd emoticon

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,968 Senior Member
    Nice feesh! 

As far as trout for tablefare, MEH. 
    With the exception of some smoked trout this coonass guy I used to work with mom made. That stuff was amazing. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    Very nice!

Taking the kid out on the canoe this weekend to try and catch some fish.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,068 Senior Member
    Looks like you are living the good life.

I'm not a fisherman, but I love to eat them. I harass my two bass fishermen grandsons (and their father) constantly about releasing their catch. They tell me that when they want fishg to eat, they will catch crappy and catfish. The problem is that they can't stop bass fishing for long enough to catch a mess of crappy for grandpa. They are good boys, so I have to assume that catch and release is very addictive, with fighting fish. They made the last cut for the state bass tournament with their high school bass fishing team, and will be competing this Saturday and Sunday.

Anyway, congratulations for having a great day.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 6,862 Senior Member
    Wow!!!  That's a stud (the fish, that is ;)

Is this the same private spot you and I discussed on the phone?  Seems like a worthwhile divert once in a while, eh?
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Six-Gun said:
    Wow!!!  That's a stud (the fish, that is ;)

Is this the same private spot you and I discussed on the phone?  Seems like a worthwhile divert once in a while, eh?
    Yeah...that's the place....thinking of taking the wife back in the fall when the brookies are in their spawning colors....