Watch your Brass

BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior MemberPosts: 4,197 Senior Member
More and more shooters I know have been picking up empties that look like brass but are actually steel with a thin brass plating.  Xtreme is the head stamp I've found the most.  Some of the Freedom ammo also (owned by xtreme).  There are others as well.  Running A magnet over your range brass is a good idea.
"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,290 Senior Member
    Thanks for the heads up. I use a TON of Freedom Munitions but only
    bulk 9mm and .223 that I don't reload. My brass saved for reloading is mainly 6.5 CM and 7mm08. 
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,547 Senior Member
    Just the thing for idiot ranges that don't allow non-brass casings!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,050 Senior Member
    zorba said:
    Just the thing for idiot ranges that don't allow non-brass casings!

And no doubt the reason is because they collect it and sell it.  Which will be an issue for reloaders buying used range brass if there is brass plated steel cases mixed in.  And exactly the kind of reason I don't collect or buy unknown range brass.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,089 Senior Member
    edited May 16 #5
    I don't buy any used brass. I only buy new rifle-pistol brass. The only once fired stuff I buy are shotgun shells. If I pick up range brass I check it to make damn sure it's brass.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    I don't pick up brass.  No telling if it's been reloaded before being left on the range.  Some guy loaded this brass 23 times and figured this was it's last bang and left it there.  But then, I'm lucky enough to have access to quite a bit of KNOWN once fired brass.  223/5.56, 9mm, 40 and 45 acp at least.  Then I have some friends who don't reload and only fire factory ammo and save their brass for me.  But in general, I'll spend money on brand new brass rather than pick up or buy range brass.

A buddy of mine once came across a bunch of "once fired" brass that he was given.  It was packed in large plastic peanut containers.  He gave me a big jar of 38 spcl brass, and I accepted, mostly just being polite.  When I took it home and started looking at it, at least 10% of the cases were already split wide open down the sides.  I texted the buddy I got it from to tell him to keep a close eye on all that brass he had.  We both agreed that it should go in the trash.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,197 Senior Member
    When you shoot 1000 or more rounds a month, buying brass is cost prohibitive.  The good thing about competition ranges, most shooters are not making hot loads.  More the opposite.  The 4 I found yesterday turned orangeish from the citric acid I tumbled them in

"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    I'm a lucky guy.  We go through 3000-6000 rounds in a 2 day session, depending on how many people are out at the time.  I gave two 5-gallon buckets full of once fired brass to a buddy the other day, and it didn't put a dent in my brass reserves....  :D