Has anyone tried the Hornady FTX Critical Defense RIFLE ammo?

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 17,534 Senior Member
They offer it in 55 and 75gr 223, 110gr 30 Carbine and 155gr 308.
Just wondering if anyone has tried any of it?

I'm thinking some of the 55gr might be a good choice for the HD carbine.
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Best Answers

Answers

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,534 Senior Member
    I've got 55 and either 64 or 75 GDs here
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ArmoredmanArmoredman Member Posts: 317 Member
    My BREN likes 75gr loads, be interesting to try this stuff out.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,688 Senior Member
    edited May 18 #7
    Yep, I got some 55 and 64 grain GDs in some of my AR mags......a soft point they look like with nickel plated cases.

I read Hornady just got the FBI contract for 9mm ammo (other?) and many other departments and individuals will follow suite. Hornady makes some good bullets and ammo.

They say 110 grain soft points in a .30 Carbine makes it much mo effective and I used to reload them all the time from Rem bulk bullets I'd buy. I did buy some factory PPU soft points too.

Those 'Half /Short Jackets' with a bunch of exposed soft lead, 100 grain I believe used to be very popular with varmint hunters and plinkers (used to cost less to reload) I imagine would do nasty stuff to 2 and 4 legged varmints too. I reloaded some and they feed and fire just fine in my M-1 carbine.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,688 Senior Member
    I know those Leverloution loads by Hornady use shorter brass and if you reload you need to keep that brass separate because you will have to make adjustments to OAL when you reload it.

They sell some FTX tipped bullets in .44 and .45 caliber for reloading.

Read below link for differences in Critical Duty and Critical Defense ammo. I'm not sure about the .223 CD ammo.

I'm sure it all will feed and fire in most all guns, but from a reloaders perspective just be aware of the shorter brass.  

"However, there is a slight caveat to be aware of. The FlexTip bullet design requires the case length be trimmed slightly. If you take a Critical Defense bullet and compare it to, say, a Federal HST or Speer Gold Dot round of the same caliber, you'll notice the brass is a hair shorter. This is also true of Hornady's LeveRevolution rounds.. Continue reading at:" http://gunbelts.com/blog/hornady-critical-defense-vs-hornady-critical-duty/

It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,089 Senior Member
    I've never bought Lever Revolution loaded rounds, only the .308 Cal. Flex Tip 160 grain bullets they load in the Lever Revolution which I hand load in my .30-30 cases.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.