The Good Bad & the Ugly Shops

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,316 Senior Member
    The box I built is that way with a 100 watt light in it. I got to thinking on it & thought why not put a steamer in there or pipe the steam in the box too. I didn't know if I should paint it or not. Mine is plywood too.  I am thinking about adding a wood dowel to hang parts up on instead of just leaning them or sitting in a basket. If I do all this it probably would be easier to have it here at the house rather than 20 miles away. The reason I took my hot tanks out there was to save space here. That might have been a bad plan. With each acid coat does that build up the black oxide ? After 4 or 5 times will that make a fitting problem ? With the wheels I have here I can get the steel to a mirror finish so that will do like the hot blueing & make it deep & nice ? This acid seems easier & safer than my hot blue tanks. Might be a bit more work carding & take longer but be safer than the salts popping out at me. I wear a apron gloves & shield with the tanks so I think I can cut back on the gear. Is ventilation a issue for acid blueing ?
    I need to stop sorting & start building a boat here !
    So far we have 4" of rain in just this last storm. Good news is can't cut grass !

I have actually sorted 12 boxes of treasures today already. I keep looking at my projects & think that would be a lot more fun than sorting through boxes. Good news is I am making more & more room to work on projects without having to high step to just move around. I have a long ways to go just to catch up to Mike.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,990 Senior Member
    Ventilation when acid bluing isn't a BIG issue. Just don't do it in an enclosed space. And don't stick your noggin in the cabinet!  :) Acid fumes aren't fun to breathe. I had mine set up by the shop door to let some fresh air in when I opened the cabinet. Buy a box of those exam gloves without the powder; makes handling the parts easier. Never had bluing buildup cause a parts fit issue, but have with browning.

The evaporating acid will leak out of the cabinet like water vapor and stick to anything it touches. You might end up bluing stuff you didn't intend to blue with it if you aren't careful with stuff around and BELOW the bottom of the cabinet.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

I am busting a hump sorting to make room to get at the blueing. I have some gun parts in white & would really like to try this. I did my polishing last winter thinking I would quick get my hot tanks set up at the country shop & do some blueing this summer .....in my spare time. Do you think putting in the cabinet a 4" fan then pipe it away would help ? With steam that might circulate in the cabinet better too. Oh this could turn into a Frankenstein monster real quick with me building it !
    No steam. The fan will just blow the acid fumes out and take forever to get any black iron rusting started. It would probably get a LOT of red iron rust started, though.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

If you card the red iron rust then boil it then it will turn the red to black iron rust ?
    No sorting today ! Needed to get lawn work done at the house before it turned into a jungle. If plans go right it's off to the country shop & dig in there with grass cutting .....planting tobacco ..... maybe dig into the semi trailer a bit. All will happen if work doesn't get in the way like it did today.  If the plan goes right I do country stuff tomorrow then job stuff Thursday. 
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 463 Member
    Old Ron said:
    If you card the red iron rust then boil it then it will turn the red to black iron rust ?
    Don’t card the red rust. Boil it first and then lightly card. Rinse and repeat (literally)
    It is worth a try.  I have so much going on that setting up my hot tanks may not get done this summer. I plan to drag home my tanks & a small propane burner. I could have left them all set up here but nooooooo I had a better idea ! Calling for 80 here today so the grass at the land should dry out fast so I can get it cut. With the riding mower & the tractor with a brush hog should get it in about 5 hours. As long as my Pepsi holds out I will be ok. ( looking like a 7 can day ) That reminds me I need to find a pop can cover .......I hate getting grass & dirt in my can .......throws off the taste.
    Not a bad day at shop 2.
    Cut 1/3 of the grass , removed a dead calf , planted 18 tobacco plants after tilling the ground up again , dug out my buffalo target & gave it new paint. ( I think that buffalo put on weight over the winter ) Started off slow with moms & kids crossing the street.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,073 Senior Member
    That buffalo looks fun. what kind of distance do you have on your shooting lane for that big boy?

Sako
    The great white buffalo! That should be a fun target to shoot!
    I HATE Canada geese. They're mean when they are on the nest or have goslings in tow, and they aren't all that tasty. :)

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,968 Senior Member
    I'd shoot the dick right off that Buffalo. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 31,709 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Well, if you did we could call you Deadeye Dick.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    sakodude said:
    That buffalo looks fun. what kind of distance do you have on your shooting lane for that big boy?

Sako
    I keep the buffalo at 1 or 200 yards . I need to clean up the lane because the trees are closing in & messing up longer shots. My flip targets are at 50' & 100 '. If I get off my butt & get the bullet trap made it will be around 50' for pistols.
    Big Chief said:
    cpj said:
    Well, if you did we could call you Deadeye Dick.
    It is funny you say that any time I have someone at the lane they try for the Dick & tail. Tail has been hit a few times but Dick is safe. ( so far ) It is only 1/4 " ballistic steel so I need to keep it off in the distance.
    Yep sorting again. The things on the left are for a mill right ? The diamond point this is for ? The red tip thing that screws in is ?
    Yes. Center drills and end mills. The diamond thing? Good
    question. May be a grinding wheel dresser. 
    Zee
    Second photo, tools on left side are what CPJ said. The white shaft with the red ball; no idea. On the left side middle row, that square shaft thing is a broach to make square holes out of round holes.

Thanks guys !
    A few small boxes at a time is about all I can stand of this sorting stuff. As soon as I get that bench cleaned off I will post some more. Little by little I am learning what all this stuff is for.

More I don't know. The reason I am really hitting this is to make working space to try that acid blueing out.
    It's all junk. I'll take it to save space. 😬
    What you have there are T nuts and clamps, and some indicator holder bits and pieces 
    Zee
    Well that is what I am counting on you guys to tell me what to toss in the scrap bucket or try to sell. I won't get my feelings hurt if you say toss it.
    The magnet things go with the rod things ?
    This is a mic. of some sort .
    Brought back a couple long tanks for the blueing test & oil.

That last picture has a nice depth micrometer. Looks like someone had their initials engraved on it. Those are right handy especially with the auxiliary depth rods.

He really had a big selection of odd stuff Mike.
    This organizing is a long term job it seems  .......How is yours coming along Mike ?
    Seeing that only you & I have shops in trouble we have to stick together ! lol
    In my case just getting small amounts of space is really nice. In the summer months I get my projects out on the driveway where there is always room to work around in.
    Picking which project to mess with is tough some days. I would like to get the welder out & stick some steel together . That is a lot easier than working on wood stuff. To do that I have to get 2 old projects done first. What a stupid rule I made up for me ! lol

I've given up/in until after the Shoot, and then I'll hit it like a tornado in a trailer park! I'll dump a lot of it in the big sinkhole across the creek; keep it conveniently close by in case I need some bit a few days after I toss it! :)

That's the bad part about tossing stuff Mike. It happens to me more times than not too.
    I think is is when we get in a hurry to make room we say screw it & out it goes then bag we need it & fall over with the cost of replacing what we threw out. Don't get in a rush after you get back from the shoot to clean up. I don't want to be the only one on here that has a messy shop ! lol ( besides my mess is bigger ! )

Old Ron said:
    That's the bad part about tossing stuff Mike. It happens to me more times than not too.
    I think is is when we get in a hurry to make room we say screw it & out it goes then bag we need it & fall over with the cost of replacing what we threw out. Don't get in a rush after you get back from the shoot to clean up. I don't want to be the only one on here that has a messy shop ! lol ( besides my mess is bigger ! )

Which is the reason I'm dumping it in the sinkhole across the creek. I've had to 'go back to the well' in the past for something I threw out, and needed later! :D