Old Guns ......New Guns

Replies

• Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,325 Senior Member
    Here are a couple that I may try that  acid rusting on.

Tore that down last fall. Getting it back together might get tricky. The hammer spring was a pain to get out & one screw I had to make a screwdriver to get in there. At least with that one I know all the parts are there & it works. Any parts left over means start over. It should only take a few tries to get it.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,688 Senior Member
    Remember that any bluing job is only as good as the metal prep that happened before it was done.  Imperfections do not get hidden by bluing, only magnified...
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    I drug my tanks back home because I just know when I start this I will want to do it all.

Would like to get the tanks set up but need to check out a noise on my truck so no telling when I can get my halfasss blueing station set. Biggest problem is space to work then having the time to do the work. This is 1/3 the grass I need to keep cut. So play time shooting doesn't come often enough.
    Old Ron said:
    Would like to get the tanks set up but need to check out a noise on my truck so no telling when I can get my halfasss blueing station set. Biggest problem is space to work then having the time to do the work. This is 1/3 the grass I need to keep cut. So play time shooting doesn't come often enough.
    Goats or horses will keep the grass short.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    They would be some fat goats here. My luck they would eat my tobacco plants then fall over dead.
    End up with stinking dead goats tall grass & no garden or tobacco.

After a couple weeks looking at it I decided for now to put a done stamp on the first 97.
    If the other 2 turn out better then I will go back & look at this one again. ( I want to get at that rust blueing  lol )

I found a loop hole in my 2 projects done rule !
    The single shot is a project started last fall ........so acid rusting is just part of the same project & not starting a new one at all. Took some thinking to come up with that logic lol

Old Ron said:
    After a couple weeks looking at it I decided for now to put a done stamp on the first 97.
    If the other 2 turn out better then I will go back & look at this one again. ( I want to get at that rust blueing  lol )

Looks like it's ready for a walk afield!
    It didn't turn out in my eyes but will do for now.  Might be that my own work doesn't meet my standards.  More practice will tell the tale . Might be fun to try that slam fire on it. I have a few 12 ga. shells around here some place. Speaking of shells . Organizing sorting & counting bullets brass & components will be a hoot. I have put off doing inventory for years so no telling how much of what I have on hand.
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,475 Senior Member
    edited May 20 #613
    Old Ron said:

I have a really great story on a cassette tape of old Outdoor Life magazine stories. It details a boys first turkey hunt in the Ozarks with his grandpas 97' Winchester, complete with descriptions of the hardships of rural life at his families farm. Be nice if you can find time to carry it afield for a day this year.
    Having 3 of those done would look kinda cool in a rack on the wall. Add my 1873 44 & my 1892 22 pump . Kind of a Winchester display corner.
    Old Ron said:
    Having 3 of those done would look kinda cool in a rack on the wall. Add my 1873 44 & my 1892 22 pump . Kind of a Winchester display corner.
    You'd need a '94 in that corner...
    10K would put a stop to that dream !
    Maybe sneak in a $200.00 replica ! lol

10k!!!  Where are you shopping?!?!?!?!  You can still get a decent pre-64 Winchester 94 for well sub $1k and an good late 1800s-early 1900s one for $1-2k.  Now those prices are going up fairly swiftly so I would not diddle-daddle... :D  
    I looked on gun broker.
    Winchester Model 1894 SN7310; made 1894; 38/55 cal.; octagon bbl.; takedown; shipped Sept. 18, 1895; nearly all original finish present; PERFECT action and bore; really fine 1st year Winchester; ant ...Click for more info
    Seller: Collecting Texas
    Area Code: 254
    $8,975.00

Oh that is a super low serial number AND first year production, in a relatively rare configuration, in a lower production chambering AND in almost perfect condition.  WAY out on the high end of the bell curve for the model buddy.

A 1940's example in .30 WCF (30-30) will set you back about $600-900 depending on condition and a 70-80%  with the full length rifle barrel in .30 or .32 WCF will be in the $1-2k range.
    Once I get through the pile of guns I am putting back together I probably will sell some & then buy something like that to add to my keepers. It is taking me way longer than I thought it would to go through this stuff. ( It is really cutting into my play time ) The machine stuff that I know nothing about is really a pain ! I should do like Chris said just toss it all in the junk & move on .
    Just checked auctions coming. Wednesday there is one with 7 rifles in . Problem is it is 1 of 3 auctions for the same stuff so no idea when the guns will be sold. So I have to go to each until the guns show up.  I hate auctions like that ! I get in trouble waiting & get bored so I buy stuff I really really don't need.
    Well on a rainy day went to plan B sorting gun parts. I have to admit it is getting easier to sort some of this . It is way easier than the tool stuff. I am getting a game plan for things like this. Divided boxes to put assortments of screws & small parts in , the kind that is flat & the lid covers all the little boxes. It would making searching for screws a lot quicker. I think I see a .22 squirrel project sitting there.

• earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 1,475 Senior Member
    That vernier sight is expensive.$
    I didn't find the pin to connect it to the tang mount. It probably is here but only luck will find it.
    Is this brass guard for black powder ?

This mess will sit until I get those box things to put them in. I hope tomorrow.
    As soon as the stores open I'm off to find those small parts boxes. First stop Manards second wallyworld third Lowestlowes. One of those should have something that will work. Looking like I really might have a organized shop here .......Shop 2 well that is another story. At least what ever I do there it will be better every time I put a few hours in it.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,995 Senior Member
    Old Ron said:

That brass handguard is probably for black powder, possibly a revolver. but it could be for a single shot pistol, or a pistol grip rifle, too. It looks to be a partially finished one from a rough casting. Just above that red arrow in that pile of parts are three Mauser trigger housings. Cant make out the name on that pistol slide in the lower left but it has the appearance of a colt pocket pistol slide.
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

Thanks Mike this a really mixed bag of stuff.
    tennmike said:
    Old Ron said:

That brass handguard is probably for black powder, possibly a revolver. but it could be for a single shot pistol, or a pistol grip rifle, too. It looks to be a partially finished one from a rough casting. Just above that red arrow in that pile of parts are three Mauser trigger housings. Cant make out the name on that pistol slide in the lower left but it has the appearance of a colt pocket pistol slide.
    I'm going with Baby Browning (or one of the many copies) based on the shape of the slide, trigger and grip panels.  I think the Colt had a cutout on the left side of the slide for a safety lever?
    tennmike said:
    Old Ron said:

I'm going with Baby Browning (or one of the many copies) based on the shape of the slide, trigger and grip panels.  I think the Colt had a cutout on the left side of the slide for a safety lever?
    That is a Atlas 6.35 mm
    Yes I can now just go grab it easily !