The Secret Squirrel .22 project.

24

Replies

  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,201 Senior Member
    Nicely done.  You've come a long way since that electric trigger thing you made.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,063 Senior Member
    B) cpj said:
    Jay said:
    But then, I can see where you would have to trim it to fit also....  :s  Maybe trim the tang area off, then blend and shape it to fit.
    It would fit fine, it would just have a big dingus beaver tail looking thing hanging off the back. And, I'd wager the part I cut off might not be solid. My Magpul grip isn't solid. The ar receiver covers the holes in the grip. 
    This is/was ABSOLUTELY a learn as you go project. So....I'm learning as I'm going...
    Good point.  I didn't think if it not being solid plastic in that area.  I was just playing the "what if" game with your build...
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,548 Senior Member
    edited May 14 #34
    It REALLY needs 1/2x28 threads on it before you blast off to Tennessee next week
    ;)

    (And they need to be dead nutz straight in line with the bore)
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    It REALLY needs 1/2x28 threads on it before you blast off to Tennessee next week
    ;)

    (And they need to be dead nutz straight in line with the bore)
    There's probably zero chance of that happening. Since I have another blank, I think I'll cut it to more of a pistol length. That way I don't mess up a perfectly good shooting barrel. 
    Just shot it. The bottom of a popcan is in trouble at 100 yards. It can easily outshoot my ability. The trigger has GOT to be attended to. The "a good marksman can shoot around a good trigger " notion is utter bull ****. Call me a poor marksman, I'm not dealing with dog **** equipment when there is better out there. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    And why I won't thread it is:
    1. If I screw up, I'll be pissed. It shoots too good now. 
    2.  I'll want a suppressor. 😬
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 463 Member
    You can do it. I just chased these threads today. That big honkin bbl is for a 10/22!
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    Yep, I can. 
    But I'm not. I'm not taking the chance of **** up 25 yard groups like that  
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member

    100 yard groups. 





    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 463 Member
    😍 I don’t blame you. That there is nice.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member

    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • FFLshooterFFLshooter Member Posts: 463 Member
    I’d also like to know more about your stock. All I recall is you saying that it’s plywood. How the hell did you manage plywood to look that sexy?
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    I’d also like to know more about your stock. All I recall is you saying that it’s plywood. How the hell did you manage plywood to look that sexy?
    You know what laminated stocks are? 
    Really good quality colored plywood. 
    My "secret" is that its Baltic birch plywood. Aka really good plywood. It's SUPPOSED to be void free. It's not. It's not like regular plywood, but still has the occasional bad spot, however tiny. Comes in 5'x5' sheets. For (last I paid) $75. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,993 Senior Member
    I think you gots the coke can challenge nailed. That's some good groups!
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.



  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,548 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    And why I won't thread it is:
    1. blah blah blah
    2.  I'll want a suppressor. 😬
    PER-SNACTLY
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,548 Senior Member
    edited May 15 #46
    Chris, this is going to sound counter-intuitive, but trust me,
    for 100 yard shooting with a 22LR you want something slower than CCI Blazer.
    Standard velocity, or subsonic is less affected by the wind. Because the supersonic 22LR ammo goes subsonic before 100 yards.

    In MOST cases, faster ammo = less wind drift, but the 22LR starts so close to the trans-sonic zone, it plays by its own rules.

    Don't take my word for it though, if you don't believe me. Go to ANY online ballistics site and use 0.092 BC (40gr RN) and 1050 and 1250 fps velocities, the results will surprise you

    5.6" (sub) vs 7.5"(super) drift with 10mph 90° crosswind per the software I have (quickTarget)

    edited to add:
    Some other 22LR ammo has a published BC of closer to 0.120 which will make it a LITTLE closer, but even if it reduces it from 1.9" to 1.5" that's a bunch to leave on the table.

    I'll try to remember to bring you a box of my SK-Jagd SSHP that has shot sub 3/4" 100 yard groups and sub 2" @ 200 to try through it.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.


  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    knitepoet said:
    Chris, this is going to sound counter-intuitive, but trust me,
    for 100 yard shooting with a 22LR you want something slower than CCI Blazer.
    Standard velocity, or subsonic is less affected by the wind. Because the supersonic 22LR ammo goes subsonic before 100 yards.

    In MOST cases, faster ammo = less wind drift, but the 22LR starts so close to the trans-sonic zone, it plays by its own rules.

    Don't take my word for it though, if you don't believe me. Go to ANY online ballistics site and use 0.092 BC (40gr RN) and 1050 and 1250 fps velocities, the results will surprise you

    5.6" (sub) vs 7.5"(super) drift with 10mph 90° crosswind per the software I have (quickTarget)

    edited to add:
    Some other 22LR ammo has a published BC of closer to 0.120 which will make it a LITTLE closer, but even if it reduces it from 1.9" to 1.5" that's a bunch to leave on the table.

    I'll try to remember to bring you a box of my SK-Jagd SSHP that has shot sub 3/4" 100 yard groups and sub 2" @ 200 to try through it.
    While everyone including me and science agree, that wasn't my 
    result yesterday. Not enough groups to confirm, and honestly expect the results to flip flop, but the blazer beat the standard velcocoty CCI. 
    Id love to try the SK. I HAD some, but gnomes have stolen the box. Annoys me, as it was a new box.  
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,737 Senior Member
    Try some CCI quiets! About as loud as a pellet rifle and very accurate.
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    Big Al1 said:
    Try some CCI quiets! About as loud as a pellet rifle and very accurate.
    I had a few to test.  
    Quiet, yes. 
    Accurate, not in any of my guns. But shot better out of this than anything else I've tried them in. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,565 Senior Member
    I think the reason sub-sonic .22 rounds are better at 100 yards is because the super sonic rounds go sub at that range and going sub, they wiggle a bit.  If you can keep it supersonic, fine.

    Main thing is to shoot what groups best for you.
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,167 Senior Member
    I'm very impressed with both the toolmaking and the resulting groups. Wtg, Chris.. Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,104 Senior Member
    edited May 17 #52
    cpj said:
    Bolt is from a Springfield/Savage model 120. Trigger is from a 98 Mauser. Action is from a chunk of round stock that I made into a functional part. "Frame" is a chunk of alyoumeneuhm. 
    Barrel? Beats me. My partner in crime got that as a blank. But it's 3/4 " diameter, and the chamber was reamed with a reamer of my design and making. Didn't know jack **** about that part, but got lucky.  
    Theres LOTS of details that went into building this. None of which I'm typing out. Simply too much. All I can say is if i was charging myself for the time spent building, this would be a $3000 gun. But that's not the point, is it? 
    Got a few minor things to do, but it's basically done. Hope to shoot it tomorrow. 

    Ill get better pics tomorrow 
    Nice, VERY nice, but you been hangin' out with shush too much. Not only are you saying something Limey, you're talking like one!!!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,260 Senior Member
    edited May 17 #53
    snake284 said:
    cpj said:
    Bolt is from a Springfield/Savage model 120. Trigger is from a 98 Mauser. Action is from a chunk of round stock that I made into a functional part. "Frame" is a chunk of alyoumeneuhm. 
    Barrel? Beats me. My partner in crime got that as a blank. But it's 3/4 " diameter, and the chamber was reamed with a reamer of my design and making. Didn't know jack **** about that part, but got lucky.  
    Theres LOTS of details that went into building this. None of which I'm typing out. Simply too much. All I can say is if i was charging myself for the time spent building, this would be a $3000 gun. But that's not the point, is it? 
    Got a few minor things to do, but it's basically done. Hope to shoot it tomorrow. 

    Ill get better pics tomorrow 
    Nice, VERY nice, but you been hangin' out with shush too much. Not only are you saying something Limey, you're talking like one!!!

    Indeed!

     It will not be too long before he is sitting down with a garibaldi and a nice cup of tea.( low fat milk, no sugar)

     

    "She brings me coffee, she brings me tea
    She brings me 'bout every **** thing but the jailhouse key"






    cjp wrote: »..... Oh dear God, I've admitted to liking something Limey.I'll never hear the end of this.

    Jayhawker wrote: »...But seriously Shush....

    Big Chief wrote: ».........walking around with a greasy butt ain't no fun, though!

     


     

  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,323 Senior Member
    You could go into production on that ! I bet you could get all the way up to $100.00 for that W/ scope of course. lol
    Kidding aside that is a really nice peace of work there ! I WANT ONE !

  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 9,565 Senior Member
    If I had a self-made pistol that shot that tight at 25 yards, I wouldn't do anything else, since it's shooting so well right now. 
    Not too many problems you can't fix
    With a 1911 and a 30-06
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    Gene L said:
    If I had a self-made pistol that shot that tight at 25 yards, I wouldn't do anything else, since it's shooting so well right now. 
    Other than the trigger, I won't change anything. And that "change" amounts to  glueing a shim in place to lighten the trigger. And replacing the spring. Which can be done in slightly longer than it takes to type this post. And, it's reversible. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    I did fix the trigger today. MUCH better. Not and light as I want, but it's reliable. And I'm out of time to mess with it before the shoot. 
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,323 Senior Member
    That is one you can be proud of there CPJ .
    Now I know who to ask when I run into problems building my 22-250s.
    That project seems like a million miles away to me right now. I thought I would have at least 1 done to shoot this summer but I fell into the restoring old guns rabbit hole.

  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,979 Senior Member
    Since I'm not messing with the barrel that's on it,(yet) and I don't want to chop up the other .750 blank I have (that would be more fun elsewhere)
    but I DO have a 10-22 barrel......

    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,323 Senior Member
    I will have to look around CPJ but I may have a barrel around that you might be able to use.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,303 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Since I'm not messing with the barrel that's on it,(yet) and I don't want to chop up the other .750 blank I have (that would be more fun elsewhere)
    but I DO have a 10-22 barrel......

    And brownells is now selling bare 10/22 receivers:  https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/receivers/rifle-receivers/brn-22-stripped-receiver-for-ruger-10-22--prod116208.aspx?avad=avant&aid=41227&cm_mmc=affiliate-_-Itwine-_-Avantlink-_-Custom+Link&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=Avantlink&utm_content=NA&utm_campaign=Itwine 

    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
Sign In or Register to comment.