Home Main Category General Firearms

Powder/ bullet suggestions for .223 in a 1:9 twist 16" barrel

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 12,041 Senior Member
My 9-year-old was geeking out in helping me work up accuracy loads for the 6.5 Creedmoor, and I was discussing with him working up an accuracy load for the Mossberg MVP patrol.

Since I have limited powder on hand for the few calibers I load, I'll need suggestions for a powder (and bullet) for .223 that will work good in mid-range loads with that twist.

And it's actually chambered in 5.56, if that matters for reloading
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,871 Senior Member
    TAC and 55 gr. bullets. 
    I'm just here for snark.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,538 Senior Member
    Benchmark and Hornady V-Max.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,456 Senior Member
    cpj said:
    Cfe223, or varget, anything 55 grain, but especially Vmax with out the cannelure. 
    And im glad you won't get into reloading. 
    Don’t listen to him. Definitely NOT CFE-223 in Texas. 
    Too temp sensitive!!  We have had pressure spikes (blown primers) and accuracy roller coasters as the ambient temp ebbs and flows. A good fall/winter load becomes an erratic time bomb in spring/summer. 

"To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
    What powders do you already have on hand. 
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member
    Bullseye, h4350, trailboss, RL7 (almost out), IMR4227.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Yeah. None of those are listed. 
    I use H4895. Just because I have it on hand. Seems to work well. 

I have Benchmark too and have had good luck with it in other cartridges. You might could give that a try. 
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    edited May 2018 #9
    I've never used it for .223 but hodgon lists 4 gr of trail boss for a 55 gr bullet getting you 1074 fps.  That's probably all you can fit in there but it's probably soft shooting.

Don't forget to swage the primer hole on anything with no caliber head stamp, that's 5.56 with crimped primers.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Zee said:
    cpj said:
    Cfe223, or varget, anything 55 grain, but especially Vmax with out the cannelure. 
    And im glad you won't get into reloading. 
    Don’t listen to him. Definitely NOT CFE-223 in Texas. 
    Too temp sensitive!!  We have had pressure spikes (blown primers) and accuracy roller coasters as the ambient temp ebbs and flows. A good fall/winter load becomes an erratic time bomb in spring/summer. 

I'm with this 100%. You ain't lived or experienced something quite so exhilarating as taking a load you think you trust to the range, touch off a shot, and everything goes blurry. I have and it sucks. Temperature sensitive powders don't mix with Texas climate. The old saying around here is if you want a change in climate, just wait 20 minutes....

Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    You might give Ramshot Xerminator a look. Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,041 Senior Member
    BAMAAK said:
    I've never used it for .223 but hodgon lists 4 gr of trail boss for a 55 gr bullet getting you 1074 fps.  That's probably all you can fit in there but it's probably soft shooting.

That’s just under the speed of sound, and this rifle is one of my suppressor hosts. I may have to play with that for giggles 

I’ll look at ramshot TAC and Xterminator 
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,615 Senior Member
    I'm a CFE223 fan, but, I don't live in Texas.  Also, I worked up my loads in the heat of summer here, haven't had any trouble.  Yet.

Knowing your penchant for versatility, simplicity, I'd go with Varget.   There's a Varget application for just about anything centerfire, and it shines in 223/556, and 308.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,364 Senior Member
    jbohio said:
    I'm a CFE223 fan, but, I don't live in Texas.  Also, I worked up my loads in the heat of summer here, haven't had any trouble.  Yet.

Knowing your penchant for versatility, simplicity, I'd go with Varget.   There's a Varget application for just about anything centerfire, and it shines in 223/556, and 308.
    ........and 243 and 7mm08 and 222..........
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,258 Senior Member
    I saw Varget mentioned at least once.
    +1 
    I have used this propellant in 223 & 308 in temperatures ranging from well below freezing (hunting) to upper 90's to low 100's (high power & LR summer time).

I know several who swear by Reloader 15. 

"The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    I have always used Varget with great success here in Texas, hot or cold.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member