Home Main Category General Firearms

They grow up so fast..

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,945 Senior Member
My daughter filled out her first 4473 yesterday .... sniff
Dad paid for a Ruger EC9S and a box of 115gr ammo.
Took a pic, but the phone shows a black screen... https://ruger.com/products/ec9s/models.html
Looks like a good basic pistol that fits her. Got out of Rural King for 264

It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    A major milestone in the journey through adulthood. Congratulations to all.

Now post some targets, as soon as she gets enough practice with a subcompact to obliterate a bulls eye.
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 14,183 Senior Member
    Some piece of mind right there, knowing the kid is going to be armed all the time as allowed.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,040 Senior Member
    good choice.

Congrats on the milestone!
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,449 Senior Member
    Good for her. 
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,945 Senior Member
    bisley said:
    A major milestone in the journey through adulthood. Congratulations to all.

Now post some targets, as soon as she gets enough practice with a subcompact to obliterate a bulls eye.
    She was supposed to come over last night. Hopefully tonight I can put her on a chunk of cardboard and see where they land.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,134 Senior Member
    That great, have fun together
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Great work dad!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    My oldest daughter will be doing that next year.  I am interested in the EC9S for my wife, how does it compare in size to the LC9S and the Shield?
  • earlyagainearlyagain Posts: 7,928 Senior Member
    I just realized, its almost just in time for father's day.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,930 Senior Member
    My oldest daughter will be doing that next year.  I am interested in the EC9S for my wife, how does it compare in size to the LC9S and the Shield?
    The ec9s is the LC9 with dumber sights. They are fixed in the frame. First round out of it I took I hit the 12 in steel plate at 25 yards. Size wise, it is EXACTLY the same L and H as my Keltec PF9, the Keltec is still a bit thinner and slightly lighter.
    She has smaller hands and it fit her OK. She was having some grip squeeze problems, but in half a box we got a lot of them worked out. She is under instruction to dry fire at home.
    Thanks for the info, I was hoping it would be more compact than the LC9S.
    I think if you want one smaller you are going to end up in a 380 or 32acp. She liked the 380, but she (on her own) looked and saw the 9mm was cheaper and more available.

She likes the Kimber Micro9 but that would be an adjustment in training from her current EDC, the Shield 9.  Another pistol that just caught my attention is the Bond Arms Bullpup9.  Current copy of Shooting Illustrated has a Bond Arms ad on the back cover with an actual size pic of the Bullpup9.  For comparison I placed my Shield 9 on top of it.....significant difference.  The Bullpup is a DA only pistol so she could carry it the same way as her Shield instead of cocked and locked like the Kimber.  One less thing to think about in an emergency.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    Many of the original LC9s had a rough, hard trigger. A friend of mine had one, and knew I had done some very useful trigger work on my S&W Shield, so he bought some kit and brought it over for help with the install. The kit was not a good one (he's kind of a cheapskate), and the LC9 mechanism was much less 'user upgrade friendly' than the Shield, so I ended up looking at you tube videos and re-doing it about three times, which all resulted in what I considered very small improvement.

My understanding is that Ruger corrected, or at least improved, the trigger issues in a later model. Hopefully that is what your daughter experiences. I thought it was a good pistol, trigger issues aside.
    Well the trigger is ok for the glockish type, but compared to a real one, it is bad.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    That is awesome.
    One of My daughters is 18 soon to be 19 and has expressed an interest in shooting again.
    Hope mine turns out as well.
    Because I like the pic

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,111 Senior Member
    Well done Dad!
    Always took keeping our girl safe and as part of "not having Dad around" before I moved to Kansas, I made arrangements for our daughter to attend a CPL class as soon as she turned 21 (provided gratis by a friend in the business) , I then transferred $500.00 in gun money into her checking account on her birthday.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"