Home Main Category General Firearms

Check your safe batteries

BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior MemberPosts: 4,484 Senior Member
I have a small fireproof safe in the back of my closet that has had dead batteries for years.  Mainly cause it's been buried behind gun stuff.  Finally needed to get something in it and batteries are all corroded.  Lucily the box came out so I could clean it.  Put it back and type in combo and it doesn't unlock.  Lights are on and its beeping, new batteries.  I'm thinking it lost the combo.  ****!  Took the box back out and hit the terminal with baking soda and scraped em with a knife.  Bingo it opened.  Guess it couldn't get enough current to operate the lock.
"He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,686 Senior Member
    Yet another reason to use an old fashioned combination lock...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,432 Senior Member
    I'm getting 5+ years out of these batteries in my MiniVault.......

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,545 Senior Member
    I got a combination only gun.safe and wish I hadn't. 
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,773 Senior Member
    I change the batteries once a year in my safe. At the same time i change them in the smoke detectors.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I've had my old safe for 11 years but only changed the batteries twice. When they go dead I change them. I go into my safe almost daily so if the batteries are dead and corroding I'll know it. But so far no problems. The old safe uses 4 double A batteries. So far I've just been using regular Energizers. But just to make sure I think I'll start changing them more regularly.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    edited May 2018 #7
    zorba said:
    Yet another reason to use an old fashioned combination lock...
    What?
    I would have thought hasp and staple and a;

:)

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,812 Senior Member
    My safe is analog, because my wife bought it for me, without consulting me. But, I like it that I don't have to remember where I put the note to myself with a reminder of when to change the batteries. And, she can't open it on a bet, even though I have demonstrated it for her a dozen times.

Yes, I know - write it on a piece of masking tape and put it on the safe - I would still find a way to screw it up.
  • 10canyon5310canyon53 Member Posts: 2,122 Senior Member
    Mine works with a good old fashioned key.  One is on my car key ring and the other is on my wife's car key ring.
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 5,009 Senior Member
    While your at it check the batteries in your flashlights, I cant tell you how many Maglites iv'e ruined because they werent used and the batteries corroded the light.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    The small safe I have home is for a basic supply of ammo and a few handguns; could fit more stuff but wife has "liberated" some space in it for storing her and the twins' jewelry. It's an OLD US-made (Can't recall the brand but it's a classic one made in Cincinnati) with key, and like those with a combination, would be the only style I like unless is one of those hotel room-style safes for temporal storage. A couple of rifles are kept unloaded in a locked room and the rest of the stuff is dispersed in a two storage depots located in safe places in different locations.

Eventually will have to consolidate everything at home and will have to get a big "generic" safe since actual gun safes are not imported here, but will look for a mechanical combination one, never a digital lock.

Friend of mine has the healthy routine of declaring new year's morning as "battery replacement time"; no matter what, off they go ALL those he uses at home, including car, bikes, smoke detectors, remote controls, etc.
    Tried the same thing at home but with 2 3-years old girls that have a gazillion battery-operated toys, keeping fresh ones in anything is virtually impossible!
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    RugerFan said:
    I got a combination only gun.safe and wish I hadn't. 
    Same here.  What a PITA.

I am going to see about having a locksmith install a keypad.

• RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,545 Senior Member
    Some safe brands offer a.keypad replacement.  I don' t think mine does for the model I have.
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    Both of my digital safes give a long BEEEEEEEP, when batteries are getting low, as a warning to replace. If I fail to replace for long periods of time, they revert to the factory default setting which can be had online. I thought all digitals did that?

“When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,686 Senior Member
    All these comments make me even gladder I have a real dial...
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,008 Senior Member
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,682 Senior Member
    My Cannon gun safe uses a 9 volt battery and gets replaced yearly....However, I wish I had bought one with a dial lock...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,312 Senior Member
    I have dial lock , Key pad ,dial key locks. The key pad one is a lot easier to get in & quicker but the batteries are a pain . I have one that is beeping now & keep forgeting to replace it. I think it is a 9v.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,692 Senior Member
    Interestingly enough, I just got my wife's GunVault open after one of the batteries leaked and corroded.

Don't know why they chose to use 4 AA batteries instead of a 9v. I’ve never seen a 9v leak and ruin electronics
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Just changed the 9v battery out on my gun vault it has been beeping at me last couple of times I opened it.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 421 Member
    I was going to suggest replacing the battery annually, but more importantly **** happened to this forum? All my safes are keyed with battery back up. 
    I almost forgot, our safe has a back up key. you remove the key pad and use a looong key in case the electronic lock fails or combination holder dies or something. There are two keys, one resides safely :) at my daughters house and the other in my safe at work.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Axe said:
    I was going to suggest replacing the battery annually, but more importantly **** happened to this forum? All my safes are keyed with battery back up. 
    New platform, where you been?
  • AxeAxe Member Posts: 421 Member
    Diver43 said:
    Axe said:
    New platform, where you been?
    To be honest, I backed off here with Tomi on here because I have issues with a few people and sat back...….trolled so to speak. New platform blows.